Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deloria

"Default Vessel" main character - for RP/ continuity purposes. Maybe in EK?

I think the vessel system is very interesting, but as has been noted elsewhere in the RP section it might have the unfortunate side-effect of killing off RP investment.

Roleplay can only really work well when we invest in our characters - even emotionally. Even if we are RP'ing someone totally at odds with who we are, we tend to inhabit them and act vicariously through them. Speaking for myself: I build a relationship to the character that can last many thousands of hours. Their story, and history, is why I play. 

The vessel system represents a "throwaway" aspect to characterization that is at odds with that investment - Not least because a character (now a vessel) that I have put much effort into, is basically risking a permadeath type situation.

I guess what I would like is a default state vessel - my "primary character" - that is never lost or lootable, but always returned to my EK... 

Her experiences in the realms would basically be the equivalent of plane walking... any other vessels she crafts would be posses-able, lootable, destroyable, but her primary state would be the default character. If she dies - she returns to the way she was in the beginning. Her first mortal aspect from crowform would be as this "default vessel". 

Does this make sense?

I dont think this would get in the way of the main vessels and crows idea - and the PvP'ers and hardcore players would still have all the possibililites of the vessel system (finding/crafting/looting high level vessels) - it's just that I believe a permanent default character state is really important I think for deep RP and emotional investment.

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Not at all necessary in 89% of the cases.

You can repair vessals to (I belive) keep them eternally.

Secondly, you won't be 100% lootable outside of the dregs worldband.

So as long as you invest in your vessal and keep away from the dregs you shouldn't face those issues.

Of course you don't have to keep of the dregs, you can just take a different vessal into it.

Hope I could help =)

I AM ME!
I love you all.

You could basically do this yourself by never importing your "primary character" into a campaign that allows the looting of vessels. Bring a different one.

Yep this.

Make, acquire a Vessel, make it how ever you want, call it your "Main" or w/e for your RP, keep it in your EK and only use it there or again only use it where you're safe from it being looted.

Otherwise our Crows are our permanent character and where the base of progression is, RP that. I think might find it easier to adapt to this game and its systems then trying to shoehorn your old ways into this new game.

I think the vessel system is very flexible. It will allow plenty of opportunities to RP and also provide a market place for trades in vessels. It all depends how you want to pay the game.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

I guess I'm not feeling the "reduced to a vessel" thing will lead to convincing RP.

I think non-RP players expect to blow through vessels like Eve online ships, which I think is a comparison that has already been given. So to put it in those terms:

Even in Eve Online you still RP'd as the "immortal pilot" rather than your ship of course. (In fact some of the best RP in EO was about mortals coming to terms with their capsuleer immortality).

I guess in CF terms the capsuleer is the crow... the vessel is a ship.. obviously if we keep switching vessels around it becomes an object.. like a car or perhaps a pet..but certainly not an extension of ourselves. The Crow is that personal representation - but we can't RP as a crow because it is in incorporeal form. 

I think I am asking for a corporeal crow state that defaults to a primary character state.. A "permanent vessel - which would be our own understanding of our true self: the avi we originally designed. Even if it's only cosmetic and powerless compared to the vessels that can be crafted / found out in the realms; I can explain inhabiting these other vessels as shapeshifting / planeswalking / possession etc.. but the point is that putting these vessels on is like putting on makeup... when I take it off my real face is still there.. 

For RP purposes I wish that real face would be my default character: More than a vessel, but a state of being when my crow takes corporeal form.

This would give me a lasting commitment to my original character creation, rather than making character customization meaningless and disposable.

I understand this next bit won't really make much sense for non RP'ers, but here's some other reasons why:

It will be too easy for non-rp'ers to just switch to a vessel and grief RP if vessels are so easily swapped out. With  a default character state it would be nice to for example enforce a ruleset to RP-EK's that says "primary vessel only" to stop alt-griefing (which if you have rp'd know is a really serious issue).

For RP'ers or players who wish to commit to a single relatable character - and that vessel - the risks of losing that vessel means we will probably never risk the Dregs - totally limited gameplay.. and in fact might result in RPers choosing simply not to go to places where they have to swap out their primary character.

The risk of taking an RP vessel into high risk situation will be too much. The Devs describe every action in Crowfall as a Risk / Reward - but I would argue that someone who wishes to invest into their character and put perhaps thousands of hours into RPing them... the risk of loss is severely greater than for example a pro player that plays to the mechanics of the game and the Vessel-forging,parts-swapping, Frankensteining system, and sees their vessel as simply a combination of available parts.

TL;DR: IMHO our default corporeal crow state should be the avi we originally designed in character creation. 

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

I'm a RPer - although I don't RP in every MMO I play, only when there's meaningful RP to be had. And I expect to blow through vessels like Eve ships. In fact if the game allows it, I'll want to have _at least_ 3 different vessels stashed somewhere at all times for tackling different situations. I think it's a psychological thing that people need a corporeal form to grow attached to a character. Can't you grow attached to the character's consciousness instead? Call it soul if you want. His collection of memories, history, personality, quirks, maybe even his original life, but also the other vessels he has inhabited since then. 

Crowfall has some serious problems getting in the way of RP, but at least for me the vessel system isn't one of them. I'm more concerned about how unimportant faction and god allegiance seems to be for gameplay - considering the entire lore premise is a war between gods for the Dragon Throne. But it's still too early to know for sure how it'll be. 

I guess I'm not feeling the "reduced to a vessel" thing will lead to convincing RP.

I think non-RP players expect to blow through vessels like Eve online ships, which I think is a comparison that has already been given. So to put it in those terms:

Even in Eve Online you still RP'd as the "immortal pilot" rather than your ship of course. (In fact some of the best RP in EO was about mortals coming to terms with their capsuleer immortality).

I guess in CF terms the capsuleer is the crow... the vessel is a ship.. obviously if we keep switching vessels around it becomes an object.. like a car or perhaps a pet..but certainly not an extension of ourselves. The Crow is that personal representation - but we can't RP as a crow because it is in incorporeal form. 

I think I am asking for a corporeal crow state that defaults to a primary character state.. A "permanent vessel - which would be our own understanding of our true self: the avi we originally designed. Even if it's only cosmetic and powerless compared to the vessels that can be crafted / found out in the realms; I can explain inhabiting these other vessels as shapeshifting / planeswalking / possession etc.. but the point is that putting these vessels on is like putting on makeup... when I take it off my real face is still there.. 

For RP purposes I wish that real face would be my default character: More than a vessel, but a state of being when my crow takes corporeal form.

This would give me a lasting commitment to my original character creation, rather than making character customization meaningless and disposable.

I understand this next bit won't really make much sense for non RP'ers, but here's some other reasons why:

It will be too easy for non-rp'ers to just switch to a vessel and grief RP if vessels are so easily swapped out. With  a default character state it would be nice to for example enforce a ruleset to RP-EK's that says "primary vessel only" to stop alt-griefing (which if you have rp'd know is a really serious issue).

For RP'ers or players who wish to commit to a single relatable character - and that vessel - the risks of losing that vessel means we will probably never risk the Dregs - totally limited gameplay.. and in fact might result in RPers choosing simply not to go to places where they have to swap out their primary character.

The risk of taking an RP vessel into high risk situation will be too much. The Devs describe every action in Crowfall as a Risk / Reward - but I would argue that someone who wishes to invest into their character and put perhaps thousands of hours into RPing them... the risk of loss is severely greater than for example a pro player that plays to the mechanics of the game and the Vessel-forging,parts-swapping, Frankensteining system, and sees their vessel as simply a combination of available parts.

TL;DR: IMHO our default corporeal crow state should be the avi we originally designed in character creation. 

Edited by Rikutatis

IMHO our default corporeal crow state should be the avi we originally designed in character creation.

I think this idea has some merit. Therefore the crow has the spirit 'crow' form but also a real tangible character form. This would not be incompatible with the vessel system and would provide a vehicle for the 'emotional' investment in the account.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

I'm a RPer - although I don't RP in every MMO I play, only when there's meaningful RP to be had. And I expect to blow through vessels like Eve ships. In fact if the game allows it, I'll want to have _at least_ 3 different vessels stashed somewhere at all times for tackling different situations. I think it's a psychological thing that people need a corporeal form to grow attached to a character. Can't you grow attached to the character's consciousness instead? Call it soul if you want. His collection of memories, history, personality, quirks, maybe even his original life, but also the other vessels he has inhabited since then. 

I think its about perspectives.. I RP pretty much 100% so for me the value of a single avatar cant be overstated... I do understand that RP can mean different things to different people.. some come and go from it as if its a game of checkers that can be reset again and again.. a part time thing rather than a full time job - if that makes sense?

What you describe about having multipurpose vessels is kind of what I think of as part time RP. I think part-time RP can be great if the typists are skillful - but it's light RP, and while the vessel system can certainly cater to that I worry it wont help the heavy RP crowd much.

By Heavy RP I mean that I think deep role-play needs deep commitment - at least for developing interesting narratives, and I do certainly see the interesting aspects of vessels as an accumulation of life experiences.. its just that the "soul" aspect..the individuality part that would make my character unique and interesting... right now is not more than simply the sum of those vessel parts.

As a roleplayer I want a unique and personal aspect to the role I am going to play.. more than just a repetition of "vessel experiences" or a series of light rp "checkerboard events". 

The underlying soul (crow) should be personal and personally created... my unique ID - rather than just a formless ghostly crow (like all the other ghostly crows - only identifiable by a nametag). 

Let me put it another way:

I see there is plans for a cosmetic items store... vanity items. 

Why would I spend real money on vanity items for vessels when I'm simply waiting to swap them out for something bigger and better and more badass?

I would be far more likely to invest real money in cosmetic items for my "corporeal" crow self than my vessel self... if my corporeal crow self was a human form: She would be my preferred state and the avi I made at the start: hence the char I have the most emotional attachment to.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Let me put it another way:

I see there is plans for a cosmetic items store... vanity items. 

Why would I spend real money on vanity items for vessels when I'm simply waiting to swap them out for something bigger and better and more badass?

I would be far more likely to invest real money in cosmetic items for my "corporeal" crow self than my vessel self... if my corporeal crow self was a human form: She would be my preferred state and the avi I made at the start: hence the char I have the most emotional attachment to.

You don't HAVE to swap out a vessel if you don't want to. Pretty sure part of the system includes upgrading and improving current vessels. The vessels won't be as throw away as you might be thinking. Now if you play only in the Dreggs then obv you'll need to be prepared to lose one and replace but again on average I don't think we'll be going through them as fast as some might be thinking.

You don't HAVE to swap out a vessel if you don't want to. Pretty sure part of the system includes upgrading and improving current vessels. The vessels won't be as throw away as you might be thinking. Now if you play only in the Dreggs then obv you'll need to be prepared to lose one and replace but again on average I don't think we'll be going through them as fast as some might be thinking.

Well this is kind of the heart of it.. Some players are describing keeping vessels almost like a garage of spaceships in Eve.. and thats how the devs themselves have described vessels. "Lose one and scavenge the parts for another in a graveyard" type of thing.. and they have also described vessels being commodities to be used for trade and spare parts etc.

That makes the vessel a very throwaway kind of thing... interesting for for example an MOBA game dynamic but not really so great for character driven roleplay.

Some questions for the devs:

Can a crow (in crow form) bow in submission to a god? Then what form should a crow take to kneel before their deity *prior to being reincarnated*?

Or else all we can do is flap around and squawk in the spiritual presence of our gods?

I feel the non-ghost form of a crow initially should also be a sentient archetype form... the original character.

The design at the moment is:   Crow [incorporeal crow form] -> Vessel [Corporeal Archetype form]

I wish it could be Crow [incorporeal crow form] -> PrimeArchetype [Corporeal Archetype form] -> Vessel [Corporeal Archetype form]

where the Prime Archetype is the first character we create.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

What you describe about having multipurpose vessels is kind of what I think of as part time RP. I think part-time RP can be great if the typists are skillful - but it's light RP, and while the vessel system can certainly cater to that I worry it wont help the heavy RP crowd much.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean by RP here. For me RP is roleplaying a fictional character and being able to separate that character from the player behind it. That character could be a dwarf, an elf, a giant, a dragon, a ghost, an alien, anything. It doesn't really need to have two legs and two arms. Sure, it'll be perhaps more challenging to RP a completely alien character than it is to RP something more close to the human experience. But to me in Crowfall it's about RP'ing an immortal soul bound to the will of a pantheon of gods at war with each other and with the Hunger. As simple as that. Then players are free to fill in the gaps. Does your soul only remember its original life and the vessels it inhabits are nothing but vehicles he has no attachment to? Or does your soul get some sort of emotional and memory feed from the vessels he inhabits, getting glimpses into the lives of those people? If the latter, does that mean each vessel he inhabits ends up affecting his personality somewhat? Maybe in his original life he was a slave  to centaurs and now he completely refuses to use a legionnaire body? There are just so many possibilities. You could be IC 100% of the time and changing vessels every other day. I don't see how that is breaking character. It's all explained in the lore.  

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean by RP here. For me RP is roleplaying a fictional character and being able to separate that character from the player behind it. That character could be a dwarf, an elf, a giant, a dragon, a ghost, an alien, anything. It doesn't really need to have two legs and two arms. Sure, it'll be perhaps more challenging to RP a completely alien character than it is to RP something more close to the human experience. But to me in Crowfall it's about RP'ing an immortal soul bound to the will of a pantheon of gods at war with each other and with the Hunger. As simple as that. Then players are free to fill in the gaps. Does your soul only remember its original life and the vessels it inhabits are nothing but vehicles he has no attachment to? Or does your soul get some sort of emotional and memory feed from the vessels he inhabits, getting glimpses into the lives of those people? If the latter, does that mean each vessel he inhabits ends up affecting his personality somewhat? Maybe in his original life he was a slave  to centaurs and now he completely refuses to use a legionnaire body? There are just so many possibilities. You could be IC 100% of the time and changing vessels every other day. I don't see how that is breaking character. It's all explained in the lore.  

I have no problem with your definition. But I do see limitations in exactly the personal aspects that drive role-players to commit to a role.. Let me try and explain using LOTR as an analogy - but really you can replace LOTR with any fantasy epic - like GoT or any fantasy campaign you like really.

Lets say Crowfall develops as deep a background lore as say for example LOTR... And parts are very similar.. the Valar are after all a family of gods under an all-father etc etc each are responsible for a part of the world we know: They sent their "crows" - the Maia - into the world.. in the vessels of Gandalf and Sauron etc etc.

So lets say roleplayers want to start building characterizations of great heroes: The equivalents of Aragorn or Boromir or Galadriel or whatever... Just to play and build. A proper Galadriel for example could be a lifetime achievement for role-players.. and most heavy Roleplayers would love a role that deep I think.

So in CF... A player inhabits the vessel of Galadriel - or her equivalent: A mighty queen / warrior / Sorceress etc.

With the imposition of the crows system, the gravitas of the character is entirely undone: Galadriel is little more than a body bag of ripe parts waiting to be harvested. 

You cant play any character you relate to in a high risk area. Who wants to see their Galadriel butchered for parts or worn like a skin? So a role-player invested in her cant take her anywhere where the cost of maintenance or risk of loss will be too high.

Of course anyone not a role-player won't understand this at all - the whole thing will seem as silly as wanting to play with dolls but not risking taking them outside. Regular players will be quite happy to pit their vessels against each others and be ruthless in how they put parts together. So unless role-players choose to entirely ignore this game mechanic (which will be hard if we want any immersion in the game world at all) the reality is we are going to see vessels only as meat suits. All around us the meat suits will be worn and traded and improved and crafted and bought and sold: this is the reality of the vessel system.

Most players will probably steer towards a Frankenstein level of vessel gathering - harvesting parts and storing and building vessels... so that will be the ACTUAL reality of the game.. 

The Aragorns and the Gandalfs and the Galadriels will simply be meat puppets - so RP'ers won't really bother writing their stories. I'm sure there will be a lot of Meta "I am a crow on the storm" RP... and a lot of existential "If I'm immortal then really whats the point?" stuff... playthings of the gods and all that.. But the little personal stories won't really happen. And the little personal stories are where the big epic stories come from. You can't have LOTR without talking about Frodo and Sam for example.. I worry in CF there is no place for the Frodos and Sams because everyone is a Sauron or Gandalf- with a few balrogs in the meat locker for when things get really nasty.

End result:

Whilst the background lore in CF can be as complex and grand as anything from LOTR the epic stories will not. The role-players will struggle to write characterizations that mean anything to them. Role-play will struggle. The role-play community will struggle.

No-one will try to write a "Silmarillion". No-one will try to write a "LOTR" - mostly because no-one will be able to write a "The hobbit". its too puny.

For me that's kind of a tragedy for RP and what I fear will come to pass if we can't imbue the crow with a little more of ourselves and instead are all forced into the body-bag fiction of vessels: the reality of which is going to be unavoidable: A market economy filled with the corpses of Galadriels and Aragorns and Gandalfs and Bilbos - all hanging in lockers waiting to be brought out and worn.

Heroes for parts.. 

Great fantasy fiction should be about the mortal struggles of imperfect beings, and role-play usually follows that golden rule - but this system reduces mortality to a meat shop market. This is my worry. 

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Galadriel had the ability to leave her body and possess a different one.

Would that single-handedly kill the gravitas of her character? Hers would no longer be a story worth roleplaying?

IhhQKY6.gif

I dont see why you keep trying to come up with rebuttals for every person that tries to answer your question with a reasonable reply. If you wanna use one vessel do it, if you dont then dont. There doesnt need to be a mechanic in place to let you do that. You are free to play it how you want.

If you wanna do hardcore RP you will probably be doing it in EKs. There is no possible way for you to ever lose a vessel in an EK, unless there are options for specific EKs to allow that level of looting on death, and even then you can easily just chose not to RP in that EK.  Your entire argument is invalid. If you wanna play a single vessel and RP that, well there you go, do that and be happy. Stay in the EKs and never take/make any other vessels. You have no right to tell others that they should be forced to play a crow with a default vessel because others may very well want to play as the immortal soul and not the body they inhabit.

With the imposition of the crows system, the gravitas of the character is entirely undone: Galadriel is little more than a body bag of ripe parts waiting to be harvested. 

You cant play any character you relate to in a high risk area. Who wants to see their Galadriel butchered for parts or worn like a skin? So a role-player invested in her cant take her anywhere where the cost of maintenance or risk of loss will be too high.

Also You are never going to RP in the dregs, if you even attempt to you must have mental issues. The dregs is not for carebears or RP kiddies, it is the pit of all destruction and where the most brave/foolish/strongest fight and risk it all for the best tier stuff. The looting of vessels is at the most extreme in the dregs. So of course your never gonna RP in any high risk areas. The further out in the rings you go the less extreme the looting gets, with slight amounts of decay on death and no vessel looting being in the Gods Reach areas, and then (as far as im aware currently) no decay or looting in the EKs.

So your options are accept the fact that the game is how it is and RP from the perspective of the Crow itself, or only RP in the EKs and sometimes Gods Reach and only ever play with one vessel. (You could even RP the gathering of resources to repair decay as getting medical supplies cause your body is weakening from all the damage you suffer in combat)

You keep saying that because the crows can jump from body to body it makes the character they inhabit less epic in story terms. Well thats only true if you play it that way. You could literally choose to never use the crow form or interact with it at all and play a base character, there is nothing stopping you from doing that except your own personal bias towards not ignoring that fact.

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Galadriel had the ability to leave her body and possess a different one.

Would that single-handedly kill the gravitas of her character? Hers would no longer be a story worth roleplaying?

I see what you mean - and I do understand the argument that people can just RP the vessel - I just think in a world where body swapping is the norm - and those bodies, the mortal aspects of the world, are throwaway - then yes there is a risk there absolutely that her story will not really be worth RPing singularly, nor investing emotion, pride or curiosity into... not at the same level as we would if the character was a representation of our soul form... Imagine if there was no crow... just the reincarnation of the Galadriel spirit form... always back to that. Her characteristics would be defining traits.. no matter if she stepped out of her body occasionally - always she would be brought back as Galadriel. In time the player would be extremely invested in Galadriel as more than just a sheet of paper with stats written on them. 

In an RP context we would be roleplayeing a unique individual... and remember: the devs have said vessels are not meant to be unique. Its that part i kind of have th issue with... I want to roleplay the crow aspect of the character, using characteristics I can identify with, and shape to become a unique persona, rather than moulding a meat bag vessel (one of countless meatbags in the market).

To go a bit further I can use the example of Gandalf..since in LOTR he actually did die and was sent back, similar to our game mechanic:

In CF Gandalf would die and hover a bit as a crow.. but eventually get resurrected.

On a personal level, and I think for character driven RP to actually mean anything, then dead (Ghost / Spirit / crow) Gandalf should still be Gandalf. If ever he is resurrected, or goes to meet his God, it should be in the form of Gandalf. With all the strengths and weaknesses he had.. maybe a few small upgrades or downgrades but nothingt major..

Imagine if After Gandalf died defeating the Balrog he was sent back but thought "Feck this - I need an upgrade!" and came back as a Balrog - cos he got to loot the vessel of the Balrog. Interesting new Michael Bay direction perhaps but.. totally kills the persona of Gandalf.

Gandalf the ass kicking Balrog does not equal Gandalf.

That "struggles of mortality" part of the LOTRO gets blown away by "Gandalf 2 - He's back and he's here to kick ass" 

Now if players do want to go with such an RP choice - I cant criticize that.. but my point is that I feel it works against the personal investment in a character that a lot of RP players need in order to build decent narratives.

When Gandalf/Balrog is simply one more corpse in the cupboard to be worn as circumstances arise then I think there will be no useful Gandalf RP. And noone is ever gonna bother to do hobbits.. :P

Thank you anyway for the interesting discussion.

www.CrowfallRP.com

I dont see why you keep trying to come up with rebuttals for every person that tries to answer your question with a reasonable reply. If you wanna use one vessel do it, if you dont then dont. There doesnt need to be a mechanic in place to let you do that. You are free to play it how you want.

yeah honestly, and this isn't meant as a dig but if OP spent as much time and energy on how to make it work as they do on how it doesn't they would likely find a way and have no issues with the system.

As a one time RPr in a few games, I can just say that one needs to adapt to the game, not expect the game to adapt to them.

I think it is strange to be working so hard to imagine counterexamples to RP when RP boils down almost exclusively to imagination.

Yes it is different.  Yes you can, and likely will, wear different archetypes.  You don't have a single appearance.  Maybe you have split personalities and change your personality with your appearance, with hints of the original.  Maybe you slowly alter your personality the more and more you wear different archetypes.  Your argument essentially is "true role-play requires single appearance."  That's a pretty narrow definition of RP, but if you insist on it, maybe take up any of the numerous suggestions about how you'll be able to likely play (some of) the game in a single appearance.

As to your OP: default vessel main character for rp continuity purposes maybe in EK is already an option.  Use it.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

If you wanna do hardcore RP you will probably be doing it in EKs. There is no possible way for you to ever lose a vessel in an EK, unless there are options for specific EKs to allow that level of looting on death, and even then you can easily just chose not to RP in that EK.  Your entire argument is invalid. If you wanna play a single vessel and RP that, well there you go, do that and be happy. Stay in the EKs and never take/make any other vessels. You have no right to tell others that they should be forced to play a crow with a default vessel because others may very well want to play as the immortal soul and not the body they inhabit.

Also You are never going to RP in the dregs, if you even attempt to you must have mental issues. The dregs is not for carebears or RP kiddies, it is the pit of all destruction and where the most brave/foolish/strongest fight and risk it all for the best tier stuff. The looting of vessels is at the most extreme in the dregs. So of course your never gonna RP in any high risk areas. The further out in the rings you go the less extreme the looting gets, with slight amounts of decay on death and no vessel looting being in the Gods Reach areas, and then (as far as im aware currently) no decay or looting in the EKs.

So your options are accept the fact that the game is how it is and RP from the perspective of the Crow itself, or only RP in the EKs and sometimes Gods Reach and only ever play with one vessel. (You could even RP the gathering of resources to repair decay as getting medical supplies cause your body is weakening from all the damage you suffer in combat)

You keep saying that because the crows can jump from body to body it makes the character they inhabit less epic in story terms. Well thats only true if you play it that way. You could literally choose to never use the crow form or interact with it at all and play a base character, there is nothing stopping you from doing that except your own personal bias towards not ignoring that fact.

Well Its a discussion forum.. so I thought it was a useful discussion. I guess my rebuttals are my perspective on things.. And other commentators here are expressing their views. Is that OK?

Is it also OK with you if we don't immediately agree but continue the discussion anyway because it's interesting? I don't see kittens being harmed or anything.

This isn't Hilary versus Trump..People can disagree and still be friendly, you know?

You're telling me what my options are and how I can RP - but how I RP is kind of a personal thing for me. Thank you kindly but I don't need my options explained. I will RP in the Dregs. I don't need you to tell me Im a carebear or kiddy or mental for wanting to do that.. I will do it because I can and it will be interesting. Because I bought the game and paid for it - just like you. 

I've RP-Pvped in Archeage and BDO. I've ganked and been ganked and I don't need your permission for it. Is that OK as well?

I'm describing right now how I feel my RP options may be limited - and this is only my perspective, but its based on RPing in several other communities.

For an RPer that might be an interesting perspective.. and I guess I meant this suggestion to start a discussion where roleplayers could express their views (and look some have!) but since you already think of us as kiddies who should stick to the EK's your motives for being in this discussion are pretty obvious..and I think a bitr sad really. 

And I never asked for the right to force anything on anyone.. I'm simply voicing a perspective. Making a suggestion - you know since this is the suggestions forums...  Is it alright that I do that? 

It might not matter to you - but already I see that the RP here is very light. The RP forums are a few short stories and a lot of speculation about what the systems will allow... This is in total contrast to SOTA, or BDO or AA for example - where the RP communities are buzzing even though in some ways the RP lore of those games is even less accessible.

Roleplayers are just like other players..  we don't need safety fences or special rules - just we are more curious about the structure of the world and its stories. While most people think "Hey the roleplayers can just fence themselves off in a safe little zone and pick their flowers - that's not actually how RP communities work.. Good RP communities embrace the nature of the world they are built upon.. and the most dangerous thing an RP group can do is try and cherry pick the favorable parts while ignoring the stuff that "hurts to think about".

Imagine a Game of Thrones group that didnt like to talk about Incest, assault, prostitution, slavery or patricide... pretty weak. 

So "well intentioned players" offering a diet coke flavour of Crowfall aren't actually doing roleplayers any favours.

Dregs? we're going to go there.

Vessels? Theyre going to get scavenged and put up on the meat market.

Now back to the main point.

Players find it much easier to roll their RP when they can easily relate to a permanent identifable character.. and you can instruct me all you like that that is possible with the vessel system, but I'm going to keep answering: No - It's not.. Its not that simple to personally relate to a character, or want to invest in a character for RP when I know that character is simply a throwaway ragdoll in a ragdoll parlour. And that is the reality of the world we're immersing ourselves into as story tellers.. we're not going to ignore the fact that vessels are a marketable commodity.. We arent going to hide in pretty EK gardens and pretend everyone else isnt swapping their bodies out.. because RP only works when you RP in the world you're given, and relate to things as they are... the Lore of the world tells us exactly what vessels are - we must relate to it and make do.

I hope this helps the discussion to some degree.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

yeah honestly, and this isn't meant as a dig but if OP spent as much time and energy on how to make it work as they do on how it doesn't they would likely find a way and have no issues with the system.

As a one time RPr in a few games, I can just say that one needs to adapt to the game, not expect the game to adapt to them.

The system needs to be in place before I can make it work or not. I'm describing my thoughts on the system and how it compares with what I know of other RP system. 

Since the system is still under work I think its also perfectly reasonable to come to the suggestions forum and explain what works well in other systems. Or not?

www.CrowfallRP.com