Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deloria

[OOC] What would an RP ruleset look like?

Would you like an RP campaign ruleset?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an RP campaign ruleset?

• Yes - I would like a campaign option that focused on RP
    • No - I don't see a point in an RP specific campaign

This is a list of sugggestions for a Roleplay Campaign Ruleset, or at the very least an RP toolkit that could be applied at the EK level.

Some of this stuff is quite ambitious - but we're here to dream =) I don't attempt to measure what is realistic / unrealistic here: that's really up to the devs. Hopefully it's not all pipe dreams though - some of the tool requests seem quite modest I think. Please add your own ideas below and I can add them to the list!

**Communications**

Chat channel adminstration and control. The ability to run dedicated / private / admin chat channels. This can make a huge difference for running rp in open world scenarios, as well as build RP community groups.

Universal RP channel and RP rooms (across all campaigns) to allow Roleplayers to find each other easily in game before they commit to a campaign. 

An ingame mail system with generous word limit.

Chat needs to be word count unlimited in RP channels. Obviously this is easily abusable - but word count restrictions need to unlimited as much as possible to accomodate Paragraph RP. This has popped up in other games: BDO and AA both had to increase their originally over-restrictive word count policies (which were there, and totally failed, to prevent spam) but it took so long to do so it generated a lot of rage.

Emotes. Numerous Graphical and text based emotes. (preferably with like a 5 sec timeout for spam prevention to avoid ppl spamming emotes in text like Riders of Icarus.

For example it would be nice if I type /frown in chat for the following to occur:

• Deloria frowns... appears in local chat.

• A frowning animation animates the character OR a text bubble over the avatars head: *frowns* (probably easier).

**Administration/ moderation**

A dedicated Roleplay moderator group/roles. Moderators who understand RP and are familiar with it will be able to understand intuitively when something is a trolling attempt. Perhaps the hardest part of RP in online games is dealing with trolls: some of whom can be quite clever and try to infiltrate communities. This could be volunteers. Community moderators go a long way towards dealing with this - even in nan EK it would be great to be able to define mods with the ability to kick trolls.

An RP reputation system / tag system. Basically a way of verifying if roleplayers are roleplayers, in the same way that players will gain or lose faction reputation for murdering or commiting crimes, ideally roleplayers could score their fellows on RP via a merit system. Inspecting another player would identify them as a roleplayer. The ability to cusdtomise an ingame factional reputation system would allow for example players ot "earn reputation" with a group by doing quests and such.

Flag for RP Just a simple tag over a players name to highlight they are available for Random RP.

**World tools**

Writeables. Books, manuscripts, notes and diaries: The ability to leave clues and messages in world. This will help plasyer quest creation and in creating lore and legend and rumour and misdirection. It could also include such things as gravestones and markers. Singposts and waypoints.

Quest Generators. A way to describe persistent risk / reward scenarios for players. This might be for example a Point of Interest NPC that can be *programmed* to offer a clue about a chest in the old mine and give a player a quest item (a key to the chest). Ther player can then try to find the chest, which will spawn a tuffypants monster to defend it.

Boss Monster mode. The ability for players to spawn or *posess* or control boss monsters for a limited time. THis weould be like a Dungeon Master rolling dice for the dragon encounter. Players could build quests for their party and then spawn a boss mob as a highlight to the quest.

NPC mode. The ability for our quest giver to take over an NPC to facilitiate plot / storyline. At a simple level to be a famrer that asks for help getting their farm back from bandits.. At a more ambitious level taking the role of a god (Arkon) to instruct players to kill an epic monster or find a Point of Interest. This would require the ability for rp-npc vessels to include various god vessels and to make thrall vessels collectable.

**Campaign tools**

The ability to flag a campaign as "Roleplay required / roleplay optional / No Roleplay " in the campaign search box. ( I think the *No RP* would be a polite way to ensure that non-rping players dont have rp forced upon them).  It would be great with for example a "Roleplay Required* Dregs campaign.

A simple campaign RP *behaviour* ruleset. Describing the basics about IC vs OOC interaction. Preferably this would be a *click to agree terms* window before you join, and the rules would be viewable in the world information screen. This should be mod-enforced.

**more coming**

*****Original Post******

I had a crazy thought.. what if there was an RP campaign ruleset?

For example one of the bloodstone patrons invested in such a thing, or the RP community itself raised the funds fore it - or even if the devs said "Hell yeah - we have so many committed roleplayers who have have invested in CF so we're going to build a ruleset for them.

What would such a ruleset look like?

I'm thinking rule enforcement and mechanisms.. for example enforcing RP interactions, if such a thing were possible.. A fixed word requirement for dialogue before PvP combat or some such thing.

Do you guys have any ideas on what a CF RP ruleset might look like? Any thoughts on how it might work?

Anyone got a spare bloodstone pledge they wouldn't mind using for it? :P

Emotes - graphical and text based (preferably with like a 5 sec timeout for spam prevention to avoid ppl spamming emotes in text like Riders of Icarus.

For example it would be nice if I type /frown in chat for the following to occur:

• Deloria frowns... appears in local chat.
  • A frowning animation or A text bubble over the avatars head: *frowns*
  •  
Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Some discussion on this topic has already been posted, there is no way to enforce a complete RP rule set and i don't believe ACE has any intention of spending resources to do so. Community created EK's would suffice for players who want to RP

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/12320-role-playing-campaign-world/

Sugoi ! - Head of Disciplinary Committee

YhuWX9S.png

Some discussion on this topic has already been posted, there is no way to enforce a complete RP rule set and i don't believe ACE has any intention of spending resources to do so. Community created EK's would suffice for players who want to RP

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/12320-role-playing-campaign-world/

Yeah tbh I think the "Can't be done" is kind of "Can't be Ar*sd* until someone proves it otherwise.

Plenty of online games make great RP environments if the tools are there for the community. I guess this thread is more of a "What tools would we need?" discussion.

Just cos the tools aren't there yet doesn't mean they won't be - or that we're not allowed to ask for them.

Thanks for your input - that thread was useful.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

One solutuion, since Artcraft stated they can make any rule system per server if there is a demand, is to create a faction lore base server, say three factions, where players do not lose their vessels either by by being looted or destruction nor lose the vessel on the servers destruction or perhaps just have a sever that doesnt end.

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

ACE doesn't have the resources to enforce RP on a specific server imo...

Well i think the secret with decent RP is decent community tools.

For example RP community self moderation.. If there were RP chat channels that could be moderated by players.. and the ability for players to run as NPC level characters then *assuming* the community can control itself and not god-mode all over the place you can get some interesting dynamics going.

I think the best RP involves an authoritative source: Kind of like a dungeon master in pen-and-paper setttings.

The ability to run quests and direct the action in some fashion: and those quests can actually be pretty PvP Specific: Politics and intrigue leading up to knocking castles to the ground..

It all depends on the toolsets - and I really think that even non-RPers could make use of tools designed for RP.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Well i think the secret with decent RP is decent community tools.

For example RP community self moderation.. If there were RP chat channels that could be moderated by players.. and the ability for players to run as NPC level characters then *assuming* the community can control itself and not god-mode all over the place you can get some interesting dynamics going.

I think the best RP involves an authoritative source: Kind of like a dungeon master in pen-and-paper setttings.

The ability to run quests and direct the action in some fashion: and those quests can actually be pretty PvP Specific: Politics and intrigue leading up to knocking castles to the ground..

It all depends on the toolsets - and I really think that even non-RPers could make use of tools designed for RP.

EvE had private chat channels that were password protected, or you needed an invite to join.  That same type of thing could be used here for more than RP, and it would benefit the whole game community.  Then just have an RP channel.  If it was done correctly each channel would have parameters that could be changed by the client; text color, font, size etc.

I have toyed with player created quests, and know how it could be done, even in CF.  A tool that allowed a player to act like a "game master" or "story teller" from PnP days.  It's not directly related to RP, but it would be a way for RPers to create their own quests and story lines within the game, using game made props/monsters.  These types of tools may have to be created by the community though, and then passed on to ACE for their use in CF.

lUvvzPy.png

I think asking for more power, player created quests and dungeon masters is asking for a little bit to much. Those things would sort of entirely change the nature of the game and require a ton of tools and balances that aren't really in the scope of their planned design for Crowfall (at least as I see what you mean to mean...). There are a few games that allow dungeon masters to be players (Sword Coast Legends for an example). 

A more reasonable request might be something a little simpler like: A server with an RP tag and a notice message that you are indeed about to enter a server that has an role playing tag and community.

Or maybe really small changes to game mechanics, like one where in order to swear fealty to another guild in a guild vs guild or dreg setting you would have to be within a certain proximity of the other leader so that it encourages a more physical or role play'ee act of swearing that loyalty. Or perhaps global chat is just disabled so that if players want to communicate they would have to do so a little more realistically and talk only when they are in speaking range- which could consequently lead to Player Messengers, and scouts and a greater and more immersive feeling of being alone in the woods or reclusively in a cave full of monsters. - Though to be honest, I think Artcraft is disinterested in servicing the role playing community and even "anything" would be to much. :(

It does bother me a lot when the greatest guild/kingdom in a sandboxy MMO is just called something like "Trolls For Goals" or "Bees?".

Although if your looking an endless world with player admins that is exclusively meant for role players in Crowfall thennn, go to a role player's eternal kingdom!

Edited by CharlestheRammer

After chatting with a few RP'ers I trhink actually there are a lot of things that could really go a long way towards building rich and vibrant RP.

thew simple stuff is for example chat channel creation and control: THe ability to run dedicated RP channels with a bit of moderation.

The more ambitious stuff is things like monster generators / quest giver control... and somewhere in between writables and record keeping elements such as customisable tombstones.

I will start trying to maintain a list - If you are a Roleplayer - or even a player that just wants the ability to make your crowfall experience more personal, then please come with your ideas!

www.CrowfallRP.com

...channels with a bit of moderation ...monster generators

I think these are 2 good places to start. Private chat channels that the owner can moderate seems like they would be useful to everyone.

And we already know we will have access to some type of 'spawners'. If we can expand the amount of control we have over these with options of pathing and text scripting we could be very creative in how we use them. Non RPers may even fashion there own custom MOBAs with a few archer towers and spawners.

I think distance limited chat would go a long way in an RPEK, or even in a CW for random RP between players that don't know each other.

totally agree: "Shout" and "Whisper" should be proximity based..

For RP purposes it would be nice to have a global OOC-RP chat channel for coordinating events and such across distance or even EKs / Campaigns. How such a channel would be moderated though I can only guess.. I like the idea of community volunteers tbh.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Updated to include:

Emotes - graphical and text based (preferably with like a 5 sec timeout for spam prevention to avoid ppl spamming emotes in text like Riders of Icarus.

• Deloria frowns... appears in local chat.
  • A frowning animation or A text bubble over the avatars head: *frowns*

www.CrowfallRP.com