Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bounty Hunting: Brainstorming Discussion on how to create this as players

So, many people would likely want bounty hunting in-game, but without a game-made system to support it, instead having it player-made.

Well, I feel this is the proper place to discuss this: How do we incentivize people to place bounties on players?

What does the bounty-placing player have to gain from temporarily making a player character dead when they will simply revive? 

Here's my thoughts: Either they're disgruntled at the player in particular, which can be called a "Bounty on Grief". BoG will be paid out in small bunchs of reward from a bulk reward. For instance, the player places a BoG of 100 Iron. When a Bounty Hunter [bH] kills the player and posts proof on some thread [a screenshot], the BH will be paid out with 10 of the 100 iron. This means that it'll incentivize multiple killings of the target per each bounty. This creates an actual problem for the Griefer. The prizes stack per bounty placed, so if this Griefer pisses off multiple people, he will have bounties of numerous rewards.

For another type, there's Dregs Bounty. The Bounty only matters when you kill a certain player in the Dregs and collect a certain item from their corpse [may include whole corpse] and bringing it to the player who placed the bounty. These will likely be larger bounties of resource or rarer materials in turn for specifically crafted items or rare Discipline Runes or, possibly going to be the more dispicible of bounties, Promotion Vessels. With this, the player who places the bounty gains something from the kill, and the BH will need to be particularly confident to do so.

Thoughts on BoG and DB

One of the problems with trying to get bounties to really work in an MMORPG is the fact that you typically can't actually kill or capture people.

In real life, if someone brings your enemy to you for a bounty, it is worth a heavy price because you now have complete control over your enemy. You can kill them and be done with them, or make use of them how you see fit. In most MMOs, all you can do is momentarily inconvenience them and then they go on their merry way. How much is that worth?

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

One of the problems with trying to get bounties to really work in an MMORPG is the fact that you typically can't actually kill or capture people.

In real life, if someone brings your enemy to you for a bounty, it is worth a heavy price because you now have complete control over your enemy. You can kill them and be done with them, or make use of them how you see fit. In most MMOs, all you can do is momentarily inconvenience them and then they go on their merry way. How much is that worth?

Which is what I'm attempting to solve here, for the sake of those who enjoy the idea of Bounties and Bounty Hunting.

The suggestions are made for two things: Either inconvenience the bounty by making them a constant target, AKA Red Listing them to be targets always and anywhere, or to use certain campaign rules [Dregs, full-loot] to target and rob items that one may want specifically [rare armor/weapons, resources, runes, etc.].

Edited by Dondagora

Star Wars Galaxies tried to implement a player bounty system and even that system was flawed. I think if you want to roleplay a bounty hunter take the necromancy profession but, unless they attach some kind of ownership to harvested parts I doubt anybody will pay a bounty for a generic liver.

I think maybe a mercenary system would be better for players to focus on. Bounties for destroying strongholds or supporting a faction or guild. I know that isn't answering your question but, I just don't think there's a good way unless the devs want there to be one.

It's too easy to game.  If I use my second account to kill the primary account that the bounty is on, I lose nothing.  I am able to set the time and place of the kill, meaning I can take off everything my primary character was wearing, and then have the secondary account kill him.

Even Tera, and their player court system was flawed.  The only time I have seen it work somewhat well was in EvE, where if you were attacked aggressively in safe space, then you were able to attack back within safety.  But the actual bounty system in EvE was flawed like above.

lUvvzPy.png

With an implemented Crowfall API in place, I already have a planned bounty system solution that would work. Just waiting on it coming out and no in-game system will ever be needed.

Edited by scree

With an implemented Crowfall API in place, I already have a planned bounty system solution that would work. Just waiting on it coming out and no in-game system will ever be needed.

Nice~

This also wasn't an in-game suggestion, more so a spot for guilds who enjoy economics and worldbuilding to possibly create their own system.

Such as if I was a large enough guild, I could implement this sort of bounty system so players could place and collect bounties on each other, no mechanics involved.