Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are any of the devs Roleplayers?

If any of them are and have the time - Can you give us an idea of where you think RP will be in Crowfall?

Where and how will you be Roleplaying? For example: Can you see it happening in the dregs? Many players are assuming the EKs will be where RP happens.. Is that how the game is being planned?

Are there any tools for RP planned? For example Quest giver / reward giver / bounty / chat channel tools. A bit of scripting capability - even in the EKs?

There always seems to be a bit of heat between hardcore gamers and the RP crowd... the old everlasting and totally tiresome "Griefers vs Carebears" discussion. Somewhere in the middle sit the griefing carebears: Roleplayers who arent afraid to get dirty in PvP. Can you give your thoughts on that. On how RP would roll, witrh ideas on the vessels system and how that relates.

I would love to see a video, and maybe a FAQ as well, on the RP aspects of Crowfall.  

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Where do you draw the line between someone who is, and is not, an RPer?

I have a somewhat unusual opinion on the matter. I think it is impossible to play an MMORPG without roleplaying. Everyone who plays Crowfall is an RPer to some degree.

Even the player who says they never RP and only want to PvP and see people cry about it are, in some way, roleplaying.

Now I am not claiming there is no difference between someone who claims to be anti-RP and someone who identifies with being an RPer. There are certainly differences. But it is all shades of grey, not black and white.

IhhQKY6.gif

Well this is just my opinion but - Yeah I think everyone role-plays to some degree in mmos... the issue is more about the qualitative level of it: The effort typists put into it.. The mutual respect of sharing effort to drive a story-line versus the messing around a lot of players tend to get up to. "Arggg I'm a dorf! Kill the elves Yarr!"

A lot of players will join RP and just part time it.. or not come in with proper effort cos "I'm a Role-player too." which can be a bit depressing for those who are really investing their time and effort.

After a while hopefully an RP community builds up and comes together to decide a few shared core ideas.. That's usually really positive. Without a shared philosophy RP tends to be very hit and miss.

So I think if I can use an analogy I think Role-play is a team sport.. Like any ball sport the easiest way to do it is pick up a ball and kick it to someone..

If you play it long enough you learn a few tricks.. You gain more control and your skill level goes up - like anything else.

The more you play the more you realize there are rules.. Etiquette. Sometimes you meet people who play by different rules (American football versus rugby?) But cos you both love your sport you figure it out and try and make even teams.

For me "Role-play" means high quality typist interactions and character driven story creation. I always hope to meet sincere and serious role-players.. and as "high a skill level" as possible -  just like in real life someone banging around a football wishes they could play Maradonna or Beckham or such..

This is probably a bit of an elitist view.. and Role-players can get reputations for being all sorts of moody cliquey types. But the reality is most of the time RP is just a few people banging a football around, rather than anyone actually trying to have a serious "world class" game.

My background comes from T1 para combat RP in IMVU.. I started that stuff when I was like 10 years old. I won't bore you with it  but it can get extremely complex.

Personally for me RP is anything I can do online that will lead to an interesting story.

Here's some audiobook stuff I did based upon some solo RP from Ark: Survival Evolved last year: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon - the actual RP its based on was basically me and another RP player doing a "hunter and hunted RP", as an example. 

I hope this helps..- Its just my on-the-spot thoughts on it. 

I'm hoping menmbers of the Crowfall dev team pop up and start telling us about what mad Roleplayers they are too :P

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

In the thick of a multiguild skirmish in Shadowbane I do remember a dude with a toon named Batman shouting POW, SMACK, and other onomatopoeic rp'ing devises. Should opposing PvP groups do a gang dance scene ala West Side Story before getting real? or is cute macroing the extent of our improvisational mind amongst emotional instincts of competition and crushing?

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

In the thick of a multiguild skirmish in Shadowbane I do remember a dude with a toon named Batman shouting POW, SMACK, and other onomatopoeic rp'ing devises. Should opposing PvP groups do a gang dance scene ala West Side Story before getting real?

Imagine if they did :P

Any idiot can click a mouse button until the pixels die. Typing out "the Jets song" in the middle of combat takes leet skills.

Good RP events DO tend to be pretty memorable even for ppl just observing it :P

In BDO there was a guy who went round AFK-killing all the AFK fishermen in fishing hotspots (A big deal). He called himself "Dept_of_Fisheries" and rage-ganked everyone while screaming about fishing permits. Maybe it was just RP as excuse to grief but.. totally awesome.

RP as cruel and unusual punishment is always fun =)

www.CrowfallRP.com

I think ACE is going to be busy just getting the foundations of the game working right before launch (small studio with limited budget). Extras for RP would need to be much later on the priority list.

For at least the short term, it's all going to be player-created RP content so you'll have to find some friends to sit at the RP Table of Champions with you  ;)

tiPrpwh.png

Where do you draw the line between someone who is, and is not, an RPer?

I have a somewhat unusual opinion on the matter. I think it is impossible to play an MMORPG without roleplaying. Everyone who plays Crowfall is an RPer to some degree.

For me the line is drawn in a conscious separation between character and player. If the player just sees the character as a digital extension of himself in a fantasy world, no matter how immersed he feels in the game, I do not consider that roleplaying. When the player separates himself from the character to the point he ends up roleplaying a different persona, then that's roleplaying. It's not so much different from acting, really. Except roleplayers usually don't know all the acting techniques. Not saying there isn't some margin for "greyness", but I very much disagree with the notion that everyone playing a MMORPG (or a single player RPG for that matter) is RP'ing. 

If any of them are and have the time - Can you give us an idea of where you think RP will be in Crowfall?

Where and how will you be Roleplaying? For example: Can you see it happening in the dregs? Many players are assuming the EKs will be where RP happens.. Is that how the game is being planned?

Are there any tools for RP planned? For example Quest giver / reward giver / bounty / chat channel tools. A bit of scripting capability - even in the EKs?

There always seems to be a bit of heat between hardcore gamers and the RP crowd... the old everlasting and totally tiresome "Griefers vs Carebears" discussion. Somewhere in the middle sit the griefing carebears: Roleplayers who arent afraid to get dirty in PvP. Can you give your thoughts on that. On how RP would roll, witrh ideas on the vessels system and how that relates.

I would love to see a video, and maybe a FAQ as well, on the RP aspects of Crowfall.  

I don't have time right now to add my thoughts, but suffice it to say that once upon a time, there was not a clear line between RP/Hardcore.  This is something that was later invented/fostered for probably several reasons.  It is true that there has always been a bit of crunch vs fluff, but even that was more like the time before the Crystal cracked--only now do we have clear Skeksis and Mystics (old people will get the reference).  

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I don't have time right now to add my thoughts, but suffice it to say that once upon a time, there was not a clear line between RP/Hardcore.  This is something that was later invented/fostered for probably several reasons.  It is true that there has always been a bit of crunch vs fluff, but even that was more like the time before the Crystal cracked--only now do we have clear Skeksis and Mystics (old people will get the reference).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3utAsPApLU 

;)

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about roleplay. Almost everyone thinks they know what it is cos.. you know how hard can it be actually?

SO i want to say this: It can be hard - and hardcore. No-limits roleplay can literally turn people into mental wrecks.

People have lost their lives exploring their own psyches - because if you're good at it and intrigued by it you invest some more and more of yourself into it. Its like the book of your life being written before you.

Noone will really understand what "Emotional Investment" means in a roleplay context until they actually do it. But for some of us our Roleplay characters become as close - or closer than even our own family in the real world. 

I can honestly say that I grieved more for a roleplay character dying on me than I did when my grandparents passed.

Lots of Hardcore Roleplayers can relate I think.

So going into a universe like Crowfall is a mixed bag for me personally - because I know whats at stake.

Its really why I asked this question: Do the Devs roleplay? Like seriously? Can they relate to what I'm talking about here. I kind of hope they have our backs when we step into their world. That they're preparing the way.

www.CrowfallRP.com

In BDO there was a guy who went round AFK-killing all the AFK fishermen in fishing hotspots (A big deal). He called himself "Dept_of_Fisheries" and rage-ganked everyone while screaming about fishing permits. Maybe it was just RP as excuse to grief but.. totally awesome.

RP as cruel and unusual punishment is always fun =)

lol the guy sounds like a legend i did something similar in vanilla wow for 4months, just camping mara killing gold farming hunters one after another until 4 or 5 of them would group up and kill me. Lowbies who were on their way to do mara would stop and join in and forget to go and do the instance. Was pretty funny having the moderators /w me to see if i was a chinese farmer or not since i spent so much time in the same spots they went to.

Problem I have with Rp is it usually consists of ERP, Anime discussions, or people talking about someone sleeping/eating/drinking etc. Generally no RP adds to the

content of the actual game world. I like the afk fisher guy and I remember stories of Shadowclan from DaoC with the kobolds ,,but that's pretty much  it.

If people want to roleplay, I wish they'd do it to actually enhance the immersion of a game within the play of the game, instead of just finding another means for a social chat. Roleplayer's nowadays really just seem to lack creativity. That being said, it's their money  and time, they  can chat how they want to.

I'm not really a RP guy, but I've enjoyed some RP opponents over the years. I loved when the Dredlords would come charging in screaming the Ezekiel quote from Pulp Fiction:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

You knew poorly made socks was about to get real.

I also loved the way Arnie and TSP always handled RP the pirate way. Made for some fun fights.

Problem I have with Rp is it usually consists of ERP, Anime discussions, or people talking about someone sleeping/eating/drinking etc. Generally no RP adds to the

content of the actual game world. I like the afk fisher guy and I remember stories of Shadowclan from DaoC with the kobolds ,,but that's pretty much  it.

If people want to roleplay, I wish they'd do it to actually enhance the immersion of a game within the play of the game, instead of just finding another means for a social chat. Roleplayer's nowadays really just seem to lack creativity. That being said, it's their money  and time, they  can chat how they want to.

In fairness youre not really describing roleplay.

Here is a BDO rp site: http://blackdesertroleplayers.com/

Events, fiction, character creation. Guilds with guild themes and agendas, Coop RP sessions.. Both in the lore and out of it.. And this is in BDO where generally the level of RP was low becuase it was a very very small community.

Sure plenty of players think RP is "socializing dressed as an elf" - like its some online cosplay. But no it really isn't. Honest :)

www.CrowfallRP.com

Events, fiction, character creation. Guilds with guild themes and agendas, Coop RP sessions.. Both in the lore and out of it.. And this is in BDO where generally the level of RP was low becuase it was a very very small community.

Sure plenty of players think RP is "socializing dressed as an elf" - like its some online cosplay. But no it really isn't. Honest :)

The way I understood what Orinturi said is that this social chat was still done IC with RP personas, it just lacked creativity and didn't add much to the game's lore and immersion. Which I have to agree with and it's the main reason I don't RP in every MMO I play.

I used to really enjoy RP in Ryzom, there were official and player events which carried the story forward, sometimes lasting for years with many branching paths and the outcome was heavily influenced by the decisions made by the players at key points. It felt like there was a purpose to it and the stories were complex and helped flesh out the lore and history of the world. The Secret World had some really creative and interesting RP as well, due to the nature of the game and how it interfaced with RL social media like twitter, facebook, etc. 

But many other MMO's I played and tried checking out what RP there was, it usually boiled down to crafters trading events and weekly meetings at taverns to exchange pleasantries, talk about unimportant things and oh let's not forget ERP, lots of ERP. Even The Secret World was plagued by that and that's why I stopped trying to RP there. But granted, most MMO's do very little to encourage and support meaningful RP, and RPers are left without any tools to play with. 

Yea I'm familiar with BDO Roleplay.  I"m  on the Orwen  server and Spend a good bit of time on  Calph 02. And you  site only  re-affirms my comments.   ERP and standing around in Taverns socializing or "performing".  Nothing that actually brings anythingg to the game experience for the channel. 

Maybe I'm not being clear enough in explaining myself. If a guild wanted to RP and  formed the Whale Watchers Society  and spent their time with lifeskills and  in  a tavern,,  but was Always out attacking people hunting whales and were in character,,  that's rolepay that adds to the  game  and that would be awesome.

Standing  in a  bar, or outside the  wharf  in Veila,  or one of the farms,, talking about each other's characters  doesnt really  add anything. It's pretty much just a player  controlled NPC at that point-- noise in the background.