Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deloria

Are any of the devs Roleplayers?

Yea I'm familiar with BDO Roleplay.  I"m  on the Orwen  server and Spend a good bit of time on  Calph 02. And you  site only  re-affirms my comments.   ERP and standing around in Taverns socializing or "performing".  Nothing that actually brings anythingg to the game experience for the channel. 

Maybe I'm not being clear enough in explaining myself. If a guild wanted to RP and  formed the Whale Watchers Society  and spent their time with lifeskills and  in  a tavern,,  but was Always out attacking people hunting whales and were in character,,  that's rolepay that adds to the  game  and that would be awesome.

Standing  in a  bar, or outside the  wharf  in Veila,  or one of the farms,, talking about each other's characters  doesnt really  add anything. It's pretty much just a player  controlled NPC at that point-- noise in the background.

I think the only way I can answer you is to try and explain the difference as "creativity"... How much creative effort are people willing to put into roleplay?

It takes very little creativity to stand around a virtual tavern and erp. Yes we can call it RP but... I agree it is not a good example: Any more than watching a bored guy kicking a ball around by himself can be called football. Sure its a guy playing with a football but.. its not really interesting unless it turns out that guy is David Beckham or someone - but ask a football fan what they think of when they hear the words "Brilliant football" and theyre probably thinking of the best game they ever saw or played.. Imagine David Beckham is suddenly joined by Maradonna and Pele and Zlatan and a few others. 

RP is the same. qualitively. If you get the right people doing it it can blow your mind. Some people live and die for RP ( I guess I'm one of them). And some people just have natural god-given talent for it. If a community grows large enough you start to find them. And if you really really work hard maybe you can join in once in a while. In the meantime you're making friends!

For me personally: All my stories - fiction or audio book - start from RP events or as RP plans. The audiobook I produced here is based off of some Ark RP I did. I was so inspired with it I went off and made this. Just to try and immortalise some of the words - but it only captures a fraction of the RP really. Its a story of a girl being chased by a monster into a cave... And trust me I was alone in that cave. Chased by that feckin monster. To hell with VR I was IN THAT CAVE.

Good RP is epic but probably intensely personal to the people involved. I could try and describe to you my dreams and nightmares and they would sound stupid - but RP is about capturing them and living them out. *Shivers*

I wish I could explain it better. In time I hope there will be an RP community here that can show you what I mean. You would be very welcome.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

RP in a PVP game can happen and it can be fun.  My best recollection of Shadowbane was when the Irekei guilds in the desert on Mourning server held a Festival of the Dragon in some ruins.  There were about 3-4 all-Irekei guilds of various sizes that were the main organizers, but the event was widely publicized and you had Irekei characters from non-RP focused guilds that came as well (you had to be Irekei to attend).  There were different activities, including duels, races, trading, etc. It only happened once, but it was a lot of fun because it was integrated into the game world.  Since everyone PvP'ed in Shadowbane, the guilds that also RP'ed were not looked down upon like they are in some games where there is a distance between the communities and their playstyles.

I hope we can have some things like this in Crowfall.  

One thing I really liked was that presentation where Todd spoke about everything in game as a currency.

basically the higher you level the better your character gets at spending currencies - be it health or mana or a crafting skill..

Dedicated PvPers and hardcore *Min-maxers* will probably own the combat simply by putting all their time and effort into maximizing their game: Raising combat skills and building certain armours and the like.

I think its really exciting that the social possibilities of RP *might' also be considered a currency of sorts - and that someone who is putting half of their time into the social arena might also gain an advantage, as surely as someone who puts their time into combat.

For example the thrall system is very interesting: The possibilities for bonuses and buffs and ingame due to diplomacy and politics and intruigue. I'd love to understand more about the thrall system from Todd's perspective on all game mechanisms being currency.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

I think RP adds a lot of flavor to existing gameplay, especially in a PvP setting. An RP-PvP guild can invent for itself a Lore or storyline that gives it a unique approach to navigating a sandbox, open PvP world. Let's say we're a Cult of the god Malekai, and we take special care to attack players who may or may not realize they are enemies of Malekai in the lore. The in character trash talking can also be fun and creative.

Here's a few videos from my guild in Shadowbane which highlight our RP-PvP shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKKkA0mij0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrGgxTUzho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duiB0xoh-JM

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I think RP adds a lot of flavor to existing gameplay, especially in a PvP setting. An RP-PvP guild can invent for itself a Lore or storyline that gives it a unique approach to navigating a sandbox, open PvP world. Let's say we're a Cult of the god Malekai, and we take special care to attack players who may or may not realize they are enemies of Malekai in the lore. The in character trash talking can also be fun and creative.

Here's a few videos from my guild in Shadowbane which highlight our RP-PvP shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKKkA0mij0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrGgxTUzho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duiB0xoh-JM

I agree.  I think one thing that RP helps add to political PvP games is a nice middle ground between a PK guild and a non-aggressive guild.  We (MWH) had some interesting battles and wars start because we had an KoS policy on elves, for example.  So, we'd be in an alliance with an ARAC guild, and they'd know that if they brought any elves we'd kill em'.  They forget, or think we are bluffing, and we kill our ally in front of their group.  Then, let the chaos ensue.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Where do you draw the line between someone who is, and is not, an RPer?

I have a somewhat unusual opinion on the matter. I think it is impossible to play an MMORPG without roleplaying. Everyone who plays Crowfall is an RPer to some degree.

Even the player who says they never RP and only want to PvP and see people cry about it are, in some way, roleplaying.

Now I am not claiming there is no difference between someone who claims to be anti-RP and someone who identifies with being an RPer. There are certainly differences. But it is all shades of grey, not black and white.

Exactly my thoughts I've had in mmorpgs for a long time. Even people who make fun of people who RP and tend to just randomly PK people are still RPing. It's pretty fun to me actually.

FDtg86d.jpg

I think it's important to recognize that Roleplay and Loreplay or oing things In Character often go together, but they are different things. Having some internal story-based logic, motivation and consistency to the actions and expressions of a player of guild is considerably different from being in character all the time, but it is quite a good thing to do on it's own, and I wish we saw more of it personally.

Crowfall is interesting in a few ways in this context given that people are essentially able to create their own servers, I have no doubt we will see an RP EK for example, which enforces at the very least, naming rules and possibly IC chat etc. Faction-based EKs would be interesting as well, especially if AC provided additional variables with which to filter access to one's EK - limiting it by Archetype or Race etc would be amazing. The idea of seeing an EK that was 100% lore-following makes my mouth water. :)

I think the depth of SB lore really helped some of the RP-lite activities that generally continued. Here's hoping CF lore is expanded and has more depth built into it.

I would give my left nut to see /soc chop in game.

I would give my right nut to see the devil men in CF.

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

If roleplay is what you describe it is, I see a problem with roleplaying as a character in crowfall in a campaign. You control a crow, a soul, immortal. So you cannot create a persistent character. But it also provides new ways to role play. Playing as immortal souls with multiple personalities as they possess different bodies would be interesting. I would love to see hardcore RPers over coming this challenge and providing with interesting "shows".

Obsidian-ForumSigWhite.jpg

RP is on a spectrum IMO (though it is not quite that simple). 

1. On one side, you have greifers/trolls and those that are purposely anti-immersion, what were once called "cool doods" many moons ago. 

2. Then, you have your Call of Duty type generic gamer person who may have wandered into a RPG by mistake and has no idea what RP is. 

3. Then your more serious MMORPG gamer who understands the genre but has no interest in anything but mechanics, playing with friends and/or "winning".

4. Then you have those who respect the lore and are interested in the story, but see it as something that exists outside them for their periodic entertainment.

5. Then you have those who are into the lore and have lore friendly character and guild themes and may dabble in actual in-character actions and guild events.

6. Then you have RPers and RP guilds who still play the game but do so in character.  

7. Finally, you have the story tellers, who RP almost exclusively and will do things like sit in player housing or a city and tell stories and emote a lot.

Fringe RP:

X. At the fringes, you have ERPers.  I do not understand this nor do I want to. 

Y. Also fringey are those who do things like RP as Batman or a Jedi in a totally unrelated setting.  While technically RP, it doesn't have much to do with the actual game so IMO these folks kind of miss the point. 

The truth for me is, however, that CF may be the first MMORPG in which I play in category Y; because I may do my damnedest to ignore/avoid the whole Crow and Vessel theme I will actually stand somewhat outside the lore.  This is an odd position for me, because I am usually a strong 5, which is where I find the most immersion and fun.  So,  I may stick to a single archetype exclusively, or if I choose to switch I will probably see myself as a totally different "person" in game.  Truth is, I suppose I haven't totally wrapped my head around how I'll approach it at this point.           

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

If any of them are and have the time - Can you give us an idea of where you think RP will be in Crowfall?

Where and how will you be Roleplaying? For example: Can you see it happening in the dregs? Many players are assuming the EKs will be where RP happens.. Is that how the game is being planned?

Are there any tools for RP planned? For example Quest giver / reward giver / bounty / chat channel tools. A bit of scripting capability - even in the EKs?

There always seems to be a bit of heat between hardcore gamers and the RP crowd... the old everlasting and totally tiresome "Griefers vs Carebears" discussion. Somewhere in the middle sit the griefing carebears: Roleplayers who arent afraid to get dirty in PvP. Can you give your thoughts on that. On how RP would roll, witrh ideas on the vessels system and how that relates.

I would love to see a video, and maybe a FAQ as well, on the RP aspects of Crowfall.  

Yes, we'll all be roleplaying. Some guilds go pretty deep into character with RP.

The devs play D&D together FFS.

Fortunately, ACE devs are set against the mechanics I bolded from your post. This allows everyone the freedom to RP their own way.

CF will have a lore book, and you can find excerpts from it here and there.

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

As noted above, the categories are flexible and many people travel between them.  As someone who is a RPer first but also enjoys PVP, I admit to the guilty pleasure of sometimes baiting people.

In SWTOR, my Jedi's appearance is something I spend lots of time on.  Her usual costume is all white with gold trimmings, the bare-midriff top, white boots, etc.  But for a time I also PVPed a lot and, while I would never class myself as elite, was decent enough to give a good account of myself (I played Sentinel).  So one day she is out on Oricon doing the missions and this Sith comes up and challenges her to duel.  I think he was looking at her appearance and figured easy prey.  Well, long story short I demolished him.  Later on, silly me, I had forgotten that you stay PVP flagged for a while after a duel, so a few minutes later he comes back as part of a group of four.  I wanted to see if he was still sore, so I started fighting a mob to see if he would gank me from behind.  Sure enough he did!  He killed me, then I went back and got my PVP gear and attacked his group 1v4, got two of them down, but eventually they got me (they had all their pets out, LOL).  Anyway, the moral of the story is that sometimes it is fun to "play" as if you are some frilly RP'er and then surprise them!  

Edited by cemya