Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time as a strategic resource. (Roleplay Campaign Ruleset)

I was checking out the Game Overview video and I got to thinking that one of the most important empowerments Devs wish to give the players is the feeling that they truly affect the world.

The single biggest factor that drives the campaign to its eventual conclusion is the Hunger - but what if the hunger itself could be vanquished? What if time, and the seasons, could be reversed or even neutralized accoridng to player alignments?

Hypothetically you could have a campaign ruleset where the forces of Order are pitted against the forces of Chaos - and the challenge is to either bring about or prevent the hunger from completing its seasonal cycle. The forces of balance of course would be tasked with keeping a see-saw level of balance to the campaign, and preventing a victory state for the other two alignments.

Practically this could happen via a series of timed capture the flags: As the season progress "Energy Beacons" of pure "Hunger" and "Life ward" aspects could be revealed in the world: Each a Capturable resource requiring formidable material and effort to take.

Each Beacon has a lifespan and a countdown timer... The countdown begins from the moment the beacon is revealed, and if it is not purified, the beacon will unleash their cargo of pure Hunger energy or life ward energy, speeding or slowing the the world further along its doomed way.

Eventually at the conclusion of the campaign the beacon count for each alignment defines a score: lets say 5 of each Hunger and Life Ward beacons are unleashed per campaign: A partial bonus goes to Alignment factions depending on how many were unleashed / corrupted / purified. The overall victory goes to either Order for clearly preventing the Hunger, or Chaos for bringing it about or Balance for bringing a stalemate resolution.

Part of this game dynamic would also include the ability for for example Order to pull the world back into a spring time season... or Chaos to progress the Hunger's reach into winter. Balance would try to maintain a summer/autumn aspect.

I hope this makes sense. I really would love an RP campaign where we get to save the world.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Sounds overly complicated without adding any real depth to the game imo...

Also, it's actually important for the campaings to end in a set time since the maps are fully destructable.

You can't base a campaign off of players vs the game. Its exploitable and it goes against the entire design and lore of the game. The hunger is stronger than the gods that we're serving. The whole point to the campaign worlds is to pick them clean before the hunger destroys them. If the hunger was defeated, Crowfall wouldn't be a game anymore.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

Sounds overly complicated without adding any real depth to the game imo...

Also, it's actually important for the campaings to end in a set time since the maps are fully destructable.

Well the game would still be on a timer.. its just the progress of the Hunger wouldn't be guaranteed without player actions forcing it / delaying it. Thats kind of the "players affecting the world" bit I like about it.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

You can't base a campaign off of players vs the game. Its exploitable and it goes against the entire design and lore of the game. The hunger is stronger than the gods that we're serving. The whole point to the campaign worlds is to pick them clean before the hunger destroys them. I mad the hunger was defeated, Crowfall would t be a game anymore.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.... it would still be player factions versus player factions. just the length of the campaign would be variable depending on what factions actually accomplish. Its still very much a PvP scenario, with the player efforts determining the end result.

And maybe the world could "end" but in a good way? If you manage to purify it enough maybe you get to "send it off to the EKs" or something... The campaign can still end - only it doesn't end in darkness and despair. The world is not "destroyed" it is "renewed." - even if only temporarily.. Thats a good incentive for anyone playing Order and a really juicy target for anyone playing Chaos. The Balance guys would get to play sabotage on the whole thing. Also cool.

Some of us like to save the world.. Others want to watch it burn. Its a pretty cool storyline :)

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

The hunger along with the seasons is a game mechanic that is used to force the campaigns to finish. Its an imovable force that causes corruption and death. Its basically the raison d'etre for the game setting.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

The hunger along with the seasons is a game mechanic that is used to force the campaigns to finish. Its an imovable force that causes corruption and death. Its basically the raison d'etre for the game setting.

Yeah -  I guess I would just like if it was also a game mechanic that was affected by player effort..

Really right now we have a 4-stage timer: Each season sees a ramping up of the Hunger.

But what if it was a timer that could be sped up and slowed down? Reversed even? Depending on player activity.

Imagine a game world where the pressure keeps building and building... because the state of the world keeps being shifted... The campaign is prolonged and the end delayed..and each time it does the stakes go up - and up. No limits "All-in" poker. A 3 month campaign drags out to become 4 months..5 months. The stakes ever higher.

It might not be everyones cup of tea but.. Im pretty sure it could be a very interesting game mechanic.

Eventually when the game does end (A second non-variable timer) the state of the world decides the winner.

Did the forces of Order keep the world alive and corruption free? Did the forces of chaos corrupt it? Did the Balance guys manage to sabotage the efforts of the others and let the world follow its own cycle?

See I think this is interesting - but especially from an RP perspective. Because it gives us a chance to really try and save the world - or destroy it - and not just be a passive spectator to the spectacle.

www.CrowfallRP.com

There's a browser based game called Travian (same as the companies name) which is a server based campaign. Some older versions of the game had an end point that was determined by player actions (building of a World Wonder). In theory this was fine except the end game could drag on and on because the World Wonder could get damaged by other players. So there was no fixed end point and during this end game players would leave through boredom.

Travian changed to fix length server durations. Much better everyone knew the end date and played to that end.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

You can't base a campaign off of players vs the game. Its exploitable and it goes against the entire design and lore of the game. The hunger is stronger than the gods that we're serving. The whole point to the campaign worlds is to pick them clean before the hunger destroys them. If the hunger was defeated, Crowfall wouldn't be a game anymore.

On the one hand I like the general idea that maybe someday the game might evolve to the point worlds might be saved from The Hunger.  Whether we'd still have access to the world is entirely a different matter.  I think the exploit factor is tied to save the world = you get to keep farming it.

On the other I'm in agreement with IdeaMatrix.  Not really practical/reasonable at this time (IMO).  And, as IdeaMatrix pointed out, the opportunity for exploiting a dynamic like that is huge.  Not like any of us who played Archeage didn't see multiple castles swapped between alt-guilds, or individuals farming Honor from themselves in Arena sessions (dual logged, farming an alt).

I like the idea mind you (generally) . . . but not going to even be considered for some time I'd guess (if at all).

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

The OP idea has been suggested before.

I would certainly expect to see season change conditions that are affected by player actions.

• Spring => Summer when 95% of the territory has been explored by any player.
  • Summer => Fall when 40% of  forest resources are exploited. 
  • Summer => Fall when 60% of  strongholds are upgraded to level 3 or higher.
  • Fall => Winter when any guild owns 55% of the world's strongholds.

There are many possible examples. Most would be exploitable unless there is also a concurrent timer.

Of course, that timer could potentially be extended by resource-intensive player actions, like building a world wonder (think monument).

Likewise signs of stagnation, like low player-hour census, should speed up that timer..

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

While I agree saving a campaign world from the Hunger and allowing it to continue existing as a campaign world goes against the basic premise of the game, for the future "saving" a world from the Hunger could actually become one of the winning conditions for a campaign. Say performing a number of actions throughout the campaign could lead you in the end to being able to save a world from total destruction by the Hunger (probably by the Order faction). Then a small portion of that world could maybe be transferred to the EK and annexed to the winning guild's territory or some such. Somewhat similar to how Camelot Unchained is doing their territory conquest system through transdimensional anchors. The latest tech developed by ACE seems to allow this transposition of parcels back and forth between EK and CWs.

Edited by Rikutatis

I too do like the idea of influencing seasons, but not reversing them or changing the end timer :

the campaign length stays the same (200 days). But while normal seasons would each be 50 days long, capturing the "altar of seasons" (or whatever game mechanic) speeds up or slows down the passing of seasons to a certain amount (you can't have like 2 days of winter, but something like minimum 35 days of winter and 75 max). 

It let new strategies arise for the teams :

If your team is low on resources and not ready for winter, you may want to slow the passing of seasons to gather more resources. If you have plenty, just speed up things to burden your enemy. If these "altar" are physical location, then it would create choke-points for skirmishes (like what they have in mind for resource nodes).