Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naur

"Skill" in Crowfall - what's important ?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Skill equals =

• Time Played
    • Decision Making Speed
    • Mechanical Skill
    • Knowledge About Game
    • Logistic Supply
    • Social Skill
  2. 2. Second most important =

• Time Played
    • Decision Making Speed
    • Mechanical Skill
    • Knowledge About Game
    • Logistic Supply
    • Social Skill

Since we are having quite hot discussion about this in other threads.

Here is THE POLL. Where IS THE SKILL. We need YOU to answer :)

Disclaimer : We are not talking about winning campaigin / teamplay.

We are talking about what should make player badass on individual basis.

What should be most important to get rank 1 if there are ever rankings ?

What should you do for other people to run in fear when they spot you ?

How to get : 10 : 1 K/D ratio and etc.

Options in Poll :

Time Played - if I do play 24/7 performing meaningful things, I win.

Decision Making Speed - split second decision made while in combat(which skill to use ?) or out if it ( run or engage ?)

Mechanical Skill - 300 Apm and 5 ms ping and 0,05 sec reaction time.

Knowledge about game - remember all skills in game. and their cooldowns. and all modyfiers. know everything.

Logistic Supply - ability to prepare.  Set an ambush , choose best vassal, secure gear and find best crafter around to serve you.

Social Skill - talk people into what you want to do, join biggest zerg or most elite force in game. 

Edited by Naur

Disclaimer : We are not talking about winning campaigin / teamplay.

We are talking about what should make player badass on individual basis.

I'm wondering why you included "Social Skill" in the poll if you are deliberately excluding teamplay from this discussion.

IhhQKY6.gif

I'm wondering why you included "Social Skill" in the poll if you are deliberately excluding teamplay from this discussion.

Since you can use other people. (no offense meant)

They can make gear for you.

They can harvest resouces for you.

Share their knowledge. 

And so on.

Just the goal here is not win as Team, but for you to be the chosen one. Think social skill = using your minions.

Something like this ? :)

Edited by Naur

My hope is game knowledge is greater than mechanical speed. I still want the mechanics to differentiate a players skill. With the current speed of combat this seems to be the direction the Deva are headed.

A few other things:

• Courage under fire (Skill under pressure). Very few gamers are actually capable of competing at pro level simply because they would wilt under the pressure.
  • Strategic Intelligence - which I guess you kinda cover under logistic supply - but i think its more the intuition of knowing the best choice in the face of many equal choices.
  • Mathematical prowess. I think the best strategy players have to do A  LOT of number crunching..some of the best starcraft players are math prodigies as well.
  • I would rename "Time Played" to "Endurance." but also - its more than staying awake.. its being able to be at the top of your game for extended periods.. and requires this next one.
  • Focus.. Intense deadly focus - unerring and immovable singlemindedness. This is a gift very few manage to master simply because they have no....
  • Discipline. The ultimate requirement for skill master: Hours and hours of practice: The 10,000 hours principle. Practice makes a master and fine tunes talent.. This one is really only trumped by...
  • Sheer jammy raw talent. How I hate these people. They can be slow and lazy and careless and indifferent to strategic complexity but still sail effortlessly through to win games... mostly due to...
  • Instinct and natural intuition. That 12 year old kid just whupped your ass while multitasking with his Pokemon.
Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

A lot of it is interconnected, like decision making speed benefits from game knowledge, which generally benefits from time invested, but in the end decision making and mechanical skill should matter most. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

A few other things:

• Courage under fire (Skill under pressure). Very few gamers are actually capable of competing at pro level simply because they would wilt under the pressure.
  • Strategic Intelligence - which I guess you kinda cover under logistic supply - but i think its more the intuition of knowing the best choice in the face of many equal choices.
  • Mathematical prowess. I think the best strategy players have to do A  LOT of number crunching..some of the best starcraft players are math prodigies as well.
  • I would rename "Time Played" to "Endurance." but also - its more than staying awake.. its being able to be at the top of your game for extended periods.. and requires this next one.
  • Focus.. Intense deadly focus - unerring and immovable singlemindedness. This is a gift very few manage to master simply because they have no....
  • Discipline. The ultimate requirement for skill master: Hours and hours of practice: The 10,000 hours principle. Practice makes a master and fine tunes talent.. This one is really only trumped by...
  • Sheer jammy raw talent. How I hate these people. They can be slow and lazy and careless and indifferent to strategic complexity but still sail effortlessly through to win games... mostly due to...
  • Instinct and natural intuition. That 12 year old kid just whupped your ass while mutlittasking Pokemon.

You have a pretty deep understanding of the elements required to excel... I think you will do great in this game.

best spellrotation for your current fight situation and decision making

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

Decision Making Speed - split second decision made while in combat(which skill to use ?) or out if it ( run or engage ?)

Mechanical Skill - 300 Apm and 5 ms ping and 0,05 sec reaction time.

Knowledge about game - remember all skills in game. and their cooldowns. and all modyfiers. know everything.

Logistic Supply - ability to prepare.  Set an ambush , choose best vassal, secure gear and find best crafter around to serve you.

Social Skill - talk people into what you want to do, join biggest zerg or most elite force in game.

I think these 5 combined are all skill related.

I differentiate Crowfall from Overwatch, or MOBAs.  Crowfall is an MMORPG, and I feel that the "skill" most likely to be used in CF is the one of building a character (i.e. knowledge about the game).  The combat, i.e. mechanical and twitch skill are then secondary to me.

lUvvzPy.png

I was going to vote in the poll but decided not to as there are so many skills and attributes missing.

In my opinion team work and organisational abilities will see the best guilds dominate not individual player skills.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

In my opinion, the most important "skills" in this game to winning as a guild (I know that's not the OP question, but I think this is a far more important question) will be something like this (in order of importance):

• Knowledge of the game mechanics and systems - Goes without saying. If you don't understand all of the game systems you're going to have a bad time. This includes the siege system as well as appropriate character builds and all of the ancillary systems.
  • The ability to control diverse personalities - Basically leadership. If you don't think a decent siege commander is important to Games of Thrones then you've never really played one. 
  • Discipline and selflessness - have it and win or don't have it and lose. Not my strength. I have to get that last kill shot, so I overextend, sometimes compromising my group's position based on my own selfish motivation.
  • Solid game-play - This is what VN and some others essentially think will be the most important thing in CF. They're wrong, but it will be important. If your membership is 80% fodder you're going to have a bad time no matter how good your core and leadership is.
  • Hard work - Elbow grease is a skill. Play more and you'll likely be better, at least than you were.

There's a lot more to this, but if it's truly like SB then I think you'll see these types of things as the most important keys to winning in CF, whether you want to call them "skill" or not.

Edited by coolwaters

Except from time played and social skill all of those are important, as are more things not listed, so can't realy answer the poll unless you allow multichoice

In my opinion, the most important "skills" in this game to winning as a guild (I know that's not the OP question, but I think this is a far more important question) will be something like this (in order of importance):

• Knowledge of the game mechanics and systems - Goes without saying. If you don't understand all of the game systems you're going to have a bad time. This includes the siege system as well as appropriate character builds and all of the ancillary systems.
  • The ability to control diverse personalities - Basically leadership. If you don't think a decent siege commander is important to Games of Thrones then you've never really played one. 
  • Discipline and selflessness - have it and win or don't have it and lose. Not my strength. I have to get that last kill shot, so I overextend, sometimes compromising my group's position based on my own selfish motivation.
  • Solid game-play - This is what VN and some others essentially think will be the most important thing in CF. They're wrong, but it will be important. If your membership is 80% fodder you're going to have a bad time no matter how good your core and leadership is.
  • Hard work - Elbow grease is a skill. Play more and you'll likely be better, at least than you were.

There's a lot more to this, but if it's truly like SB then I think you'll see these types of things as the most important keys to winning in CF, whether you want to call them "skill" or not.

I would simply add, to the top of this list, strategy and tactics (though there is some overlap with the other points, leadership in particular).  As far as I am concerned, a game cannot be a "war simulator" unless the most important, emphasized and rewarded aspects of skillful gameplay are the ability to organize and execute successful plans which are political, economic and combat orientated in nature (large scale/general to small scale/specific).  

Crowfall is not a dueling simulator; it is not a sport; it is not an arena.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

The best guilds have the best individually skilled players.  Individually skilled players generally have a better understanding of situational awareness, it's really just that simple in video games. 

Anyone that knows how to be a top 3v3 or 5v5 team has no problem integrating into larger scale battles, and they have the individual skill on top of it, to be able to coordinate better, cleaner, more efficiently.

However, those that can not be good at smaller scale coordination, are NEVER the best at large scale coordination in any game with a significant skill-ceiling.  Only in games with low skill-ceiling where zerging can be lopsided in effectiveness.

I agree with this to a certain extent.The better players will gravitate to the better guilds. Everyone likes being on the winning side.

But using a sporting analogy. The English national football team consistently under performs even though they have the best talent and have one of the most competitive football leagues in Europe. The highly skilled players do not seem to be able to make that skill work in a team of equally skilled players. Whereas they shine at club level when they have a number of lesser skilled players supporting them. And at European national level it is the teams that demonstrate good team working rather than individual skill usually wins.

Edited by Count_Dirkoff

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!