Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abismal

Suggestions And Discussion Are Unwelcome?

I posted a topic in the general disccusion forum about the perils of free for all non-consensual PVP alienating a great many players. I thought the developers would like input from players, and I bet they read the forums from time to time.

I've met some of the devs in-game on other titles before.. Perhaps some of them may remember me from my meticulous bug reports and early online guides from previous titles. I betaed UO (Aldarion of Yew). I was in alpha testing for SWG (Confederado) and wrote a PVP guide for same at release that was published all over the net. I'd hope that inputs and suggestions from experienced players and testers would foster discussion, not a quick lock from Moderators who happen to disagree with my opinion.

In any case, I'll leave my thoughts, speculation, and suggestion to myself. They don't seem to be welcome here. Instead, I'll just lurk and check back to see how this game develops. I have high hopes from the design team you've assembled. It just saddens me that the forums are not places for dialogue. Good Luck.

For the record, the mod publicly posted that I was trolling in the lock out message. Interestingly, that IS actually a violation of the forum rules of conduct.

So what you're saying is that the devs weren't paying attention to you and you got all passive aggressive about it and wanted to make sure everyone knew that the devs weren't paying attention you but they should because they're supposed to remember you from games you played a decade ago?

Gotcha.

Don't let the door hit ya.

The core concept of this game is open PvP. Your post told them that the core part of the game was wrong. They have said its not for everyone and they are ok with that. Your post was probably locked because of the 50 other posts from players trying to change the core part of the game because it does not suit them rather than read the part about it not being for everyone and moving on. there are 20 other big theme park mmo games for you to play. Nothing else with the level of PvP most of us expect from this.

Edited by tarrossa

No. I'm saying I made a post that was locked simply because the moderator disagreed with my post. The devs are making the game they want to make, and whether they like my suggestions or not is not relevant. I guarantee you they want to hear feedback and suggestions from the fanbase. Otherwise, these forums wouldn't exist. When that gets stifled by mods acting on personal bias, the forums suffer.

There hasn't been a whole lot released yet information wise. When they announce it is FFA non-consentual PVP, then we'll know. Otherwise it should be a topic for discussion. If it has been decided already, someone provide the quote....

Right.

That thread wasn't going to go anywhere productive.  And while I don't think mods are above the rules, I do believe they are the only people here allowed to call out trolling.  That's fairly typical forum structure.

Now the thread being deleted....not sure if I can agree with that decision, but I hadn't seen the last page.

Abismal - hi.  I get your frustration.  I hopped on these boards last week and watched as what I though were good posts got moved to the basement or wound up in discussions that were more like whirlpools than streams of thought.

But I'd like to invite you to reconsider abandoning ship.  It's not an easy board to be on - not because it's a PvP community but because it is a very sensitive PvP community - sometimes including the mods.  I know that may sound odd but a number of these folks are seriously bent out of shape over the loss of a beloved game.  This is just what I picked up from reading these boards but apparently they played SB and it got turned into something that was a caricature of the original game.  It's like having SWG continue but so warped that it's no longer the game that was so loved.

And suddenly they got an email with Play to Crush in it - the Shadowbane tagline.  Suddenly they got a chance to have their game back - the guy who headed up SB is building a new game and it's PvPcentric.  It's as if SWG came back and was done even better by the old crew that built it originally.  These folks came onto the boards and it was a huge reunion and everyone was on board and wondering with electric excitement what was coming next.  The devs at Crowfall helped the hype along by teasing glimpses and providing drips of info.

And then - players outside the old SB worlds started coming.  Apparently a few weeks ago the boards got so toxic (The Carebear Wars!) that there was a ban and delete fest by the mods.

I came last week as part of the Koster is here from SWG and he's doing crafting woot! wave and wound up in hot water right away.  By questioning the PvPcentric nature and then trying to warn other carebears about the situation and make them welcome I disgruntled off a large number of people and got a pretty great post buried by the mods - who were a bit nervous about another Carebear War.

These folks are - in their minds - fighting for their PvP centric game.  They are touchy about it - they are, to me, over sensitive about it.  But to me it's more about them loving a game that they have a chance to reach again and less about them being them there PvP savages.

I've managed to find my balance on these boards and post often about my ideas and opinions about the game.  There is a small core of us here that are sticking it out after The Shock Of Finding Koster Doing A PvP Centric Game and I'd like to invite you to join us.  The folks here are nervous at times and they tend to lash out pretty quickly but there seem to be ways to have a great time in the game and enjoy the insanely amazing things that I know Koster will bring to the table.

Please reconsider.

Edited by Oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Whether it was the right decision or wrong one, there are a couple ongoing threads out here discussing aspects of FFA PvP, touching on variations and debating what works and doesn't work.  I highly recommend continuing your observations there.  I'll show you the one that opened my eyes to what Open PvP could be, and I hope it's as good a starting point to the topic for you as it was for me:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1125-how-to-ruin-a-pvp-game-and-other-topics/

Edited by seventhbeacon

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

It was deleted because "it wasn't focused on the information that has been released". Lol. Just like 90% of the other general discussion threads. In any case, I found it frustrating. This is mainly because in all the years I've been posting on gaming forums, I've never made an offensive post, I've never had a thread locked, and I've certainly never had one deleted. I made a suggestion and an argument for why non-consentual FFA pvp results in empty servers and abandoned games. That is all.

I think you're missing the point to Crowfall entirely.

Yes, There will be PvP with consequences (painful to the losers). This keeps the economy stable, because open world PvP is necessary to keep gold farmers out, and unable to sell you gold or a +1000 rainbow princess greatsword of mind control for cash. More importantly, our guilds will be fighting each other regularly to claim the throne eventually.

Yes, there will be crafting, and crafters will be important in Crowfall. I really hope there are a lot of you. You're welcome to join The Hive, our guild promises to protect our crafter members all we can. 

Both of these pillars support the really addictive aspect of Crowfall - The Strategy We're running the economic system to supply our guilds with the wherewithal to conquer these interconnected worlds! And we're playing this "game of thrones" against real people! It sounds amazing to me. That's why Crowfall isn't really a sandlot game, it's more. I bet my shiny red bippy on it.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Sorry to see your thread locked Abismal and I understand how you feel. My thread got locked this morning (my time) too, but mine was on a technicality which, if I had allowed myself to post after I had woken up properly might have still been valid.

I seriously think that a thread should be pinned in GD so that people don't just keep walking into the same old trap on this forum. It needs a big warning sign saying Junkyard Dawgs ahead.

I too have played PvP and I do know what hard core is. That's the only reason I've been able to digest some of the garbage. What we are seeing on the forum is tame in comparison to the way most PvPers would like it.

It's kinda like when you see carebears in a sterile forum. Giving each other hugs and kisses and swamping anyone who even dares to utter anything negative about their precious game. Well this is the other extreme except you still get swamped for saying anything contrary.

288mqgz.png

When a mod locks a thread, it's usually for a good reason.  If you have a problem with it, deal with it through the correct procedures that they have already set up.  I seem to recall something about a support email.  The last thing you want to do is make ANOTHER thread and complain about your previous thread being locked and deleted.  It's a surefire way to get on the bad side of the moderators. 

Edited by GIHunter6

When a mod locks a thread, it's usually for a good reason.  If you have a problem with it, deal with it through the correct procedures that they have already set up.  I seem to recall something about a support email.  The last thing you want to do is make ANOTHER threat and complain about your previous thread being locked and deleted.  It's a surefire way to get on the bad side of the moderators. 

Great advice.

In my case I fully accept the reason why mine got locked and have no wish to dispute. XcomVic has my vote for being very fair.

288mqgz.png

Sadly, you are now violating the Rules of Conduct, specifically these parts:

Abide by moderator and ArtCraft employee instructions

If you disagree with a moderator or employee's actions, do not discuss or challenge the matter in forum posts. Send an e-mail to support@Crowfall.com, and be sure to include your forum handle and game name, but NOT your password, and clearly state your concerns.

IMPORTANT: Forum content is moderated at ArtCraft’s sole discretion, and content may be modified, removed, or otherwise restricted by ArtCraft employees and/or moderators.

I am going to keep this open for a little while so you can fully digest this and comment.

I am actually going to allow discussion about this here because we are only human, we aren't perfect. If you really feel that something is amiss, I would like to hear the community's opinions on it as a whole.

Edited by XcomVic
epic typo

This forum isn't even a month old, but it's participants are particularly vicious. I mean I've already had someone make a troll account named after me to derail my threads. I have never had that happen in over 10 years of internetting.

Valid discussions are locked as soon as people start bickering and rather than deleting the post and verbally warning people they just get locked. There are a lot of great discussions that can't be discussed anymore that I'd love the devs to see that are locked.

Not a fan of the moderation style of these forums. They're not conducive to debates, which can and should be allowed to get heated.

In the end it doesn't matter though.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28