Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/27/15 - Introducing The Legionnaire & Faq!

I sense that the universe of Crowfall will be gigantic.

The tree is I think all the family in game. There will be 3 continents/countrys I guess and one is ruled by the mighty house (or alliance) of Valkyn, probably leader of an alliance of 4 other houses (Kronos, Gaea, D'orion, Illara).

The two other countries are in a constant battle or perhaps a truth between the four family.

You'll chose one house at the birth of your character and maybe you will be able to change your allegeance by betraying your family or something else (mercenaries, etc)

I think we will be able to customize our character (hair, face, height, weight)

And I think (or hope) that you won't be able to visit all the place with only one character because there will be no use and because the world will be too big.

Hmm, I see those Malekai and Zalena banners hiding back there. I wonder if our "Tree" represents a three faction system under a line of gods: Left tree more human, middle nature/elf maybe, and right more beastly/monster? With Valkyn sitting above it all as All-Father.

Sure this has all been speculated before, but I am a little behind.

Looks like my guess are confirmed, all the banners in the back belong to right side of the tree (except the dragon one who's not on the tree) which is symbolised by the moon (dark town).

I Hope we will know more about the political system very soon. Maybe "Secret" that we can share with another player or fealty line. Then you can sell "Secret"s trade "Secret"s allowing some spy game structured by the game.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Super excited to see Centaurs back Todd but if your resurrecting the Centaurs, you gotta show some love to the Minotaur's..

Where's the love Todd? 

Where's the front line of raging bulls ready to charge the barricades? 

Please advise,

Ralin

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

Did you even read the post?

I did read it, and after seeing some of the FAQ stuff, it calmed my nerves a bit, I just didn't like to see me taking on the role of a character about 10% of all players will also have. If they did a randomly generated backstory and name it might be cool but does EVERYONE want to be "Sir Gregor Tuttle" where the only way to differentiate is physical features and where we put our skills. It just seems weird. If we are going for back stories maybe do something like Pirate101 (please don't let everyone hate on me) but they had a good system of choosing a backstory at the beginning and throughout the game your backstory would grow and be altered by the chosen choices at the beginning of the game, think telltale but for an MMO.

I did read it, and after seeing some of the FAQ stuff, it calmed my nerves a bit, I just didn't like to see me taking on the role of a character about 10% of all players will also have. If they did a randomly generated backstory and name it might be cool but does EVERYONE want to be "Sir Gregor Tuttle" where the only way to differentiate is physical features and where we put our skills. It just seems weird. If we are going for back stories maybe do something like Pirate101 (please don't let everyone hate on me) but they had a good system of choosing a backstory at the beginning and throughout the game your backstory would grow and be altered by the chosen choices at the beginning of the game, think telltale but for an MMO.

You aren't going to be "Gaius", you are going to be a Centaur Legionnaire. That story is just giving you some back story into Gaius and into Centaur Legionnaires.

I thought I understood what they posted, you personally write your "own" back story. I believe swg did this ....Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying : /

we can argue about the centaur model until we're horse in the throat but I think the devs have their hooves to the ground trying to flesh out more aspects of the game so they can dump more teasers our way. Taking the horse doctor dude's suggestions are good but put it on a later to-do list imo.  I don't mean to give him a long face with the issue but priorities brah.

Im anxious to hear more races and not just speculation based on past screenshots, I'm talking right from the horses mouth.

01/27/15 - Introducing the Legionnaire & FAQ! 

Hey folks,

A few things coming for you this week.

Today, we're putting up our first Hero page: the Centaur Legionnaire.

This is our first cut at how we're going to present the base Archetypes on the website.  Yes, I know it's light on customization options -- that will come later.  

More importantly, this page includes: a detailed concept of the character himself, our first in-game environment screenshot (!), and a narrative background for a "sample" character.  Obviously, you'll want to write you own character backgrounds, but 1st person narrative is a great way to give you a feeling for the flavor of culture and backstory.  (Yes, it's a Shadowbane trick.  Still a good one, though!)

Additionally, we're dropping the first section of our FAQ, which answers questions about: character creation (confirming things you've already guessed at, and clarifying a few you didn't know), a few bits about advancement, and more.

Later this week, we'll be dropping more info about the nature of the CF universe, i.e. "why did we unlock the characters from the worlds/shards?" and start to look at the elements that make the strategy game work.

As always, thanks for keeping an eye on us, and for helping us to spread the word!

See you on the forums,

Todd
ACE

Ooh worlds/shards? Interesting!

The F.A.Q. should include the gender locking info. Maybe you guys should add that?

-Kelsey Fireheart

*Co-Founder of Crush The Throne - An Crowfall Fansite for Guilds, Tips, Guides and more!

*Founder of StarsoftheSpiral - An Official Fansiter for Wizard101 & Pirate101

Ooh worlds/shards? Interesting!

The F.A.Q. should include the gender locking info. Maybe you guys should add that?

Worlds/shards were already announced and the gender lock info IS in the FAQ.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I think people avoid reading F.A.Q's because they think it's not going to give them real info on the game... well this isn't an FAQ at your doctors office.... read it.... you'll learn everything you've be FREQUENTLY ASKING as a QUESTION......

Shelter

holy **** vegas lol.  Are you a Doctor?

Nope, was a vet tech and apprentice farrier for awhile, and was thinking of going to vet school but there's no money in it, would need massive school loans, and I already had an aerospace engineering degree. But I AM proudly horse-obsessed, have three of them on my property and am an avid mounted fox hunter and equine artist. So while it might not be the biggest deal to most, these kind of modeling adjustments aren't difficult to make, and make the difference between a crippled looking model and a holy poorly made socks that's badass looking one.

And I know it sounds silly, but when Shadowbane came out, I knew nothing about MMORPGS, was just looking for a game to play on the shelf at the store and saw centaur listed as a playable race and that's what made me choose it and put down whatever else I was looking at, I think some Final Fantasy release.

I do believe several people misunderstood what I said in my longer post earlier. I'll try to explain.

This is not a "skill based" progression system. In a skill based system, you choose your skills at character creation. There are no limitations. If you want healing, lockpick, heavy armor and brewing, there you go, that's your starting skills (oversimplified for time).

What we have here is a class based system. You select a class, then get to modify that class. You are limited in the skills you have based on the class you selected. Yes, there will be disciplines and promotions later on, but those will have limits as well.

Think of it this way, Skill Based = A la Carte      Class Based = Bundling

I was hoping for A la Carte.

only thing not accurate here is at the battle of cyrena 300 Dwarven stonemen gave their last breaths to defend the right to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man, and to get loaded and have a good time !!!

Edited by barab

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

Like everything I'm seeing so far.

Confused how people read:

What is the camera and control interface?

3d person (over the shoulder) mouse and keyboard controls.  In this particular area, we are similar to traditional MMOs.

And interpreted that as "ERMAGAWD!!11!!! TWITCH COMBAT WITH ACTIVES BLOCKINGS!!1!1!!"

Not that I'm against action combat but just seems like standard MMO layout to me, so far.

As usual, gentlemen, you fail to disappoint. Screenshot is impressive and fitting. Looks just great (no overused realism neither cartoon) - and that's just alpha. Roman-centaur story even better. Skillsystem. Heh, so much dancing about gender locks... I think it just fits the lore as it should.

'The Hunger?' Yehehehe... Intrigue...

MOAR.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

As usual, gentlemen, you fail to disappoint. Screenshot is impressive and fitting. Looks just great (no overused realism neither cartoon) - and that's just alpha. Roman-centaur story even better. Skillsystem. Heh, so much dancing about gender locks... I think it just fits the lore as it should.

'The Hunger?' Yehehehe... Intrigue...

MOAR.

What do you mean, fail to disappoint!? This post contained no Badger! :P

Interesting that the camera is described as 'Third person, over the shoulder'. This gives some pretty massive hints towards the combat system being aim/twitch based rather than tab targeting.

? Why would you say that? Not that I don't want action combat over tab target, but there are many, many, many tab-target MMORPG's that use the third person, over-the-shoulder style of camera.

I'm not getting the surprise & complaints about WASD movement.  This is standard MMORPG "not broken; don't fix it" fare.

My follow-up question is will CF be a tactical game or a roleplaying game? Roleplaying games generally have WASD movement because they want the player to feel more immersion. Tactical games are less focused on immersion and more on presenting information that allows players to better make tactical decisions. Look at the popularity between Smite and DotA/LoL.

If this game is WASD control, then it'll be full of WoW players and people expecting to roleplay like they do on other MMOs.

If this game has MOBA style mouse movement, then all of the DotA and LoL players will instantly feel at home in CF and they'll be here to fight.

Edited by StarShard

SB Vindication Aliases: Felhorn, Whitestar, & Starshard.

Because not all MMO's use WASD movement and people like the other style. WASD really didn't become dominant in the US until after WoW  when everyone tried to make a clone of it, a number of earlier MMO's including one a lot the community here played used mouse click on the ground or on minimap movement.

I understand, but I don't get the sense that they're trying to make a throwback game.  I'd argue that WASD very easily trumps point-and-click in modern PvP because movement becomes an essential component of combat skill (ex. strafing, ability range) which makes for a deeper experience.