Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/27/15 - Introducing The Legionnaire & Faq!

I think I already answered that in a previous post... week one?  week two?

Anyway, I can't expect everyone to see every post, so I don't mind repeating:

Crowfall is not Shadowbane 2.  The the universe isn't the same.   The technology isn't the same.  The design isn't the same.  

Case in point: today's FAQ explains that advancement that it isn't level based; that's a big significant change right off the bat.  Players aren't server locked; that's another.  SB was click-to-move.  

Crowfall is probably better defined as "the game that I wanted to make, before making Shadowbane. "  There are a lot of similarities, sure -- because many of the SB ideas were great.  And, to this day, no one else is doing them.  

But there are also things possible today that simply weren't possible in 2001, and we'd be crazy not to embrace some of them.  

Todd

ACE

You are a God among Men. Keep the good stuff rolling. Crowfall is getting better and better with each content drop. As long as everyone can keep an open mind and understand that this is an entirely new game and new concept, not the same rehashed stuff since WoW.

First, awesome, centaurs confirmed. He's a little stumpy in the leg department though, give that boy some lengthier gams. He's half horse, not half pony. Actually he looks more like he's half dog, proportionally. Maybe you're trying to fit him into a height category so he can't have longer legs though, in which case it's fine. But he does look funny down there. The man half is cool.

Second, I know this isn't really news because we heard about it previously, however I'm bummed that non-humanoid races are mostly gender locked. I would totally play a female centaur (girls love horses, therefore femtaurs plz?), or another non-humanoid female race. I know you guys are relatively indie and have to save on money by not making race/gender combos that you believe won't be played much, and I understand that. I can accept that as a necessary evil (with much kvetching), but you guys should also serve up some lore that makes sense of the fact that a bunch of races are only comprised of one gender, or why only one gender is playable, since you guys are going for a "living fantasy world" here.

Third, please don't make the only female options in the non-humanoid category small, highly effeminate, physically weak races. I know you haven't done anything yet to suggest this is your intention for the female monster races, if there are any, but I feel like it's often inevitable in games that implement single-gender races based on potential popularity for cost saving reasons (asian games especially do this). I'm not saying that you shouldn't have some monster races that are extremely feminine and not front-liners, but don't make that the only option for people who want to play female non-humanoids.

Girls (and boys) will play strong/lithe/powerful female monster characters too, as long as they're a well-known and beloved type of monster, in addition to being a little more feminine and pretty than their male counterparts (like werewolves, gryphons, or dragons). A lot of furries are girls, and they tend to be the type of girls who like to hang out on the internet and play mmorpgs. This is anecdotal, I'm aware, but most of the dragon characters I knew from Horizons/Istaria were played by women. Most of the animal games (where you play actual animals, not humanoid ones) that I have played or looked into have a female-heavy player base.  

Fourth, I'm very happy about the game being skill based and not level based. However, the archetype system appears to consist of a locked class with some changes that can be made by choosing different runes, and then later by training particular skills, which is kind of like ESO.

That said, it seems a little more restrictive than ESO in the sense that an archetype also forces race and gender choices in some cases. In other words, it's a class based game (looks like the traditional ranged-or-melee dps/healer/tank trio, not my favorite set up), but with wiggle room for some differentiation between classes through increasing individual skills and specializing. I'm okay with that, as long as it's open enough, not level based, and really does allow for significant, meaningful departures from the original archetype we chose. I don't want all the centaurs to play too much alike because we all have to be the same archetype just to play a centaur.

Now we just need to know what kind of combat system Crowfall will have. I have to admit I'm fearful, since it still hasn't been announced yet, and that's kind of the whole show right there. That reluctance to reveal it might mean it's going to be... controversial... aka, not what most people want (action/active combat of some kind). And I'm most people. Still, I'm keeping my hopes up.

peastravaganza%20dos_zps4q178jpn.png

If we have a small race let it be able to ride on the centaur :)

If you try to ride my centaur he will try to make your race smaller by one.  <_<

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

First, awesome, centaurs confirmed. He's a little stumpy in the leg department though, give that boy some lengthier gams. He's half horse, not half pony. Actually he looks more like he's half dog, proportionally. Maybe you're trying to fit him into a height category so he can't have longer legs though, in which case it's fine. But he does look funny down there. The man half is cool.

Second, I know this isn't really news because we heard about it previously, however I'm bummed that non-humanoid races are mostly gender locked. I would totally play a female centaur (girls love horses, therefore femtaurs plz?), or another non-humanoid female race. I know you guys are relatively indie and have to save on money by not making race/gender combos that you believe won't be played much, and I understand that. I can accept that as a necessary evil (with much kvetching), but you guys should also serve up some lore that makes sense of the fact that a bunch of races are only comprised of one gender, or why only one gender is playable, since you guys are going for a "living fantasy world" here.

Third, please don't make the only female options in the non-humanoid category small, highly effeminate, physically weak races. I know you haven't done anything yet to suggest this is your intention for the female monster races, if there are any, but I feel like it's often inevitable in games that implement single-gender races based on potential popularity for cost saving reasons (asian games especially do this). I'm not saying that you shouldn't have some monster races that are extremely feminine and not front-liners, but don't make that the only option for people who want to play female non-humanoids.

Girls (and boys) will play strong/lithe/powerful female monster characters too, as long as they're a well-known and beloved type of monster, in addition to being a little more feminine and pretty than their male counterparts (like werewolves, gryphons, or dragons). A lot of furries are girls, and they tend to be the type of girls who like to hang out on the internet and play mmorpgs. This is anecdotal, I'm aware, but most of the dragon characters I knew from Horizons/Istaria were played by women. Most of the animal games (where you play actual animals, not humanoid ones) that I have played or looked into have a female-heavy player base.  

Fourth, I'm very happy about the game being skill based and not level based. However, the archetype system appears to consist of a locked class with some changes that can be made by choosing different runes, and then later by training particular skills, which is kind of like ESO.

That said, it seems a little more restrictive than ESO in the sense that an archetype also forces race and gender choices in some cases. In other words, it's a class based game (looks like the traditional ranged-or-melee dps/healer/tank trio, not my favorite set up), but with wiggle room for some differentiation between classes through increasing individual skills and specializing. I'm okay with that, as long as it's open enough, not level based, and really does allow for significant, meaningful departures from the original archetype we chose. I don't want all the centaurs to play too much alike because we all have to be the same archetype just to play a centaur.

Now we just need to know what kind of combat system Crowfall will have. I have to admit I'm fearful, since it still hasn't been announced yet, and that's kind of the whole show right there. That reluctance to reveal it might mean it's going to be... controversial... aka, not what most people want (action/active combat of some kind). And I'm most people. Still, I'm keeping my hopes up.

Just to hammer the point home a little more for anybody that still has a glimmer of hope about there being female Centaurs.

Our statement was a little vague I admit. We consider centaurs as Non-humanoid or / "Monster" type. I'd like to make it clear that ArtCraft are not saying that the entire centaur race are monsters, they are wonderful people. But in the gender case we are categorizing them as non-humanoid, what with the 4 legs and a horse body.

The sample back-story is intended as exactly that, a sample. This should not be taken as cannon and we hope that all players have their own. 

And since they don't qualify as humanoid, which in my mind renders that term useless, don't expect to see a female of this race.

It's not impossible if there is enough support for them to take the time and effort to design and model females, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Cause things like male dryads and male amazons make zero sense.

I guess there could be a male Druid, if we pretend Dryads are human, not Fairy folk or nature elementals.

I guess there could be male Jaguar Warriors from a less exotic culture that shares their world with the Amazons, but it still makes little sense.

I'm interested but let's put this in real terms.  This is shadowbane 2.  They learned what they did right in shadowbane and what they did wrong and what they were close on.  This looks like it could be everything Darkfall wished it could have been.  With that said... why even named it close to Darkfall?  Why not name it something unique?

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. -Sun Tzu

Just to hammer the point home a little more for anybody that still has a glimmer of hope about there being female Centaurs.

And since they don't qualify as humanoid, which in my mind renders that term useless, don't expect to see a female of this race.

It's not impossible if there is enough support for them to take the time and effort to design and model females, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

How about this blushing Minotaur bride?

Edited by chancellor

Unless it's against any kind of lore, we need female centaurs and deer characters. It was stated that it "was" possible if there was enough of a demand. So future female players need to speak up, and some support from the male population would help also, Imean what are you afraid of.

+1 for female centaurs.

and how about a nice mud knot option instead of that My Little Pony tail for the warrior?

Schweiftasche.jpg

I prefer/like the long flowing tail. Like this -

04c999_orig.png

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I think I already answered that in a previous post... week one?  week two?

Anyway, I can't expect everyone to see every post, so I don't mind repeating:

Crowfall is not Shadowbane 2.  The the universe isn't the same.   The technology isn't the same.  The design isn't the same.  

Case in point: today's FAQ explains that advancement that it isn't level based; that's a big significant change right off the bat.  Players aren't server locked; that's another.  SB was click-to-move.  

Crowfall is probably better defined as "the game that I wanted to make, before making Shadowbane. "  There are a lot of similarities, sure -- because many of the SB ideas were great.  And, to this day, no one else is doing them.  

But there are also things possible today that simply weren't possible in 2001, and we'd be crazy not to embrace some of them.  

Todd

ACE

There is some newer members (in the last week) that missed some information, especially the threads were the SB players explicitly said no to wanting an SB 2, and in discussions on Concepts SBer's went with examples from the "Game That Can't Be Mentioned" of how certain concepts can work. One thing led to another.

One thing the majority of the SB community voiced in discussions down in the Ghetto is hopefully the ideas and Concepts that the "Game That Can't Be Mentioned" got Right (or even cool ideas but not implemented...Invade other servers) would show up here and what it got wrong is not repeated. And IMHO from what we have seen we like, because the Concepts and Ideas are there. Implemented Exactly the same? No, but the driving ideas are evident.

What is wrong with taking good ideas from the dark ages of MMO's (late 90's-2003) and stopped being used because...Need to be WoW clone 37854...

Add some new spice to them, shake em up and make something new out of them.

Edited by gauis

Even though I just posted this picture if fine its would be a excellent model for Crowfall Centaurs.

04c999_orig.png

and this for the female model maybe?

enchantress_wings_armour_source_model_do

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...