Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/27/15 - Introducing The Legionnaire & Faq!

PvPing with WASD is gonna feel weird though.

We think Crowfall is a very different flavor of MMO – internally, we call it a Throne War Simulator.  That’s because we’ve designed it to be a very different game experience.  It has elements in common with strategy games, political simulators, survival games… and a few elements that don’t really exist anywhere else.

Oh i'm excited, this seems like Politics on the scale of War of Conquest when orbs still gave money...

haven't played with centaurs yet ^^
Edited by kenpokiller

I, Gaius Aurelius, fought at the Battle of Cyrena, when the Centaur Legion routed the Stonemen who nested like vermin in the cracks of the mountain.

Dwarfs confirmed?

Very nice.

Did not think of that.. And yes, I think you might be right.

Wow I love the in game screen shot.  Dark and gloomy :).  Also can you please put in a first person mode?  I don't mind 3rd person with WASD or whatever, but the option to go first person would be amazing.  This game seems very interesting, lot's of reading for this update.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Love it all but the "time" base skilling up compared to EvE. I do hope we don't have skills that take over 3-5 months to train...

That being said I loved the rest. Good job.

Mortal Online has a similar system. Some skills are learned through actions, others have to be "learned" through reading a book. The books give passive gain that top out at around 75. You continue to gain in the skill while off line. Levels 75-100  of the newly acquired skill has to be completed through action.

These "Books" are purchased at different "Librarians" spread across the map. Some books are cheap, some are extremely expensive and sought after. Every book is not at every single librarian. You have to travel for some. You may only read one book at a time. In Mortal it wasn't so bad. A low end skill might take 4 hours to read, a high end skill may take two weeks or so. Most books took a day or two. It is a great system, or at least in my opinion.

No I dont, because the Legionnaire portrait is sitting right on the list of Archetypes on the Knight creation screenshot, and was already theorized (called it!) to be a melee centaur.

Remember in SB a Cent Warrior look just like a Cent Barb in its Portrait? Also keep in mind the fact you can customize away from the portrait, what you see.

Hmm, I see those Malekai and Zalena banners hiding back there. I wonder if our "Tree" represents a three faction system under a line of gods: Left tree more human, middle nature/elf maybe, and right more beastly/monster? With Valkyn sitting above it all as All-Father.

Sure this has all been speculated before, but I am a little behind.

Yeah when It came out I speculated it to be that but left Good, Middle Neutral, right Evil and the main picture (used as the background on the page) also shows the nice castle and fields on the left and the devastated lands on the right and the tree (Nature) in the middle.

Edited by gauis

Cheering wildly for Centaurs!  Yaaaaaaaaaaay! :wub:  Very much agree with vegas on hoping the horse-body movement animations look good!  

The FAQ start has surely answered a lot of questions and opened a bit more up too!  One thing I can say is, daaaang that artwork is looking sharp.  I continue to be impressed and convinced as from the start that this style was the way to go.  I'm kinda chuckling at the crowd who may think this is still "cartoony."  This is far from it.  Design is hitting the mark!

I love the fact that the archetype lore snippets are similar to the lore stories SB races or classes had to begin with.  That's what they were.  Starting places to get your imagination turning about your own "story" if you so choose.  Still wishing there were male/female choices even for the "monster" races, but if it's something that can be added in later, that's cool.  

Still hoping for Aracoix and Minotaurs!   :lol:

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

The balance between the passive and active forms of character advancement will be critical.  I'll have to reserve judgement until they expand on what they're doing.  Immediately assuming any passive system will be like EVE's, or any active system will be like DF-meat-walls isn't warranted.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

So many people are reading way too much into any little bit of information.  Unless something is explicitly stated, you can't come to your ridiculous "this is poorly made socks" or even the "this is going to be awesome" conclusions.

You can make inferences, you can try to draw in references or comparisons, you can speculate about possibilities, but the truth is we still don't know how most of this works.

Take a chill pill.

I for one am in favor of the addition of passive leveling of skills.  We don't know exactly how it will work.  EVE Online is the best example of such a system, but I don't expect it to be a straight copy+paste.  We don't know what skills can be passive versus active leveled, we don't know what you need to level a skill passively, we don't know if you can do things actively to speed up the process of your passive gain, we don't know how big of a deal it is to have a skill at 1 versus having it at 5 or 10 or 100.  

Just take what information you're given, discuss and speculate, but don't run around crying that the sky is falling. We'll know more soon.  And if you don't like it, then Crowfall isn't for you.  We've known from the beginning that this game isn't for everyone.  Don't think you're special and that they couldn't possibly have meant you when they said that.  They could.

I, for one, am excited by the design decisions we've seen so far, and have confidence that they'll continue to be positive things going forward.

The Sundered Guard-"Nature's Sword, the People's Shield"-Ranger's Brotherhood of Shadowbane, Mourning Server

Listen to CrowCast-A Crowfall Podcast
Crowfall1_zps3d24a64d.jpg

So many people are reading way too much into any little bit of information.  Unless something is explicitly stated, you can't come to your ridiculous "this is ****" or even the "this is going to be awesome" conclusions.

You can make inferences, you can try to draw in references or comparisons, you can speculate about possibilities, but the truth is we still don't know how most of this works.

Take a chill pill.

But isn't this the game of "Rampant Speculation?"

rSHxVEY.gif

I really hope that the passive skill system is not so punishing.  If it's anything like Darkfall, or really even older EVE, then that's pretty demoralizing.

A lot of characters to make/toy with?  Well!  Sorry, gated content and you have to wait months to try something new.  Passive systems (especially since it's now confirmed to be the main method), just kind of suck.  When the game starts you have to make a crap-ton of chars and get em all started training at once... and... I don't know, just seems annoying.  It's like you always have to now not only be worrying about your city/guild, but now also your character.  It's now a full 24/7 annoyance - "did i remember to get on to start the new skill to be trained", and so on.  

On the flipside, I was hoping for something more expanded from shadowbane.  I just didn't see the issue with normal leveling, really.  Kind of goes hand in hand with territory control, anyhow, if you can build cities near much harder/faster gaining mob areas, and can choose yourself how fast you progress/get new characters.  If you want to level in an area with all "elite" mobs, or something, and that has lots of PKers, but it's super fast, then that's your choice.  You could also take the safe/slower area.  Being forced to just wait on a timer to do anything - I don't know, it's very common now and one of my biggest gripes with newer games (especially mobile).  

Get beat by a specific group and want to build a counter group?  Too bad - gotta wait a few weeks/months.

Hopefully you guys take a lot of that into consideration and think about making the passive gain system more like WoW rested experience, where it's not something you have to rely on.

I want to stress this as being important as well. If anyone played Faxion, it suffered from a paywall that was involved with this as well.

Faxion died for a multitude of reasons but that was something that definitely didn't help it.

C4sIZDW.gif

I'm not getting the surprise & complaints about WASD movement.  This is standard MMORPG "not broken; don't fix it" fare.

Because not all MMO's use WASD movement and people like the other style. WASD really didn't become dominant in the US until after WoW  when everyone tried to make a clone of it, a number of earlier MMO's including one a lot the community here played used mouse click on the ground or on minimap movement.

But isn't this the game of "Rampant Speculation?"

I thought so and of course I'll play2crush in that too. :)

Edited by gauis

Remember in SB a Cent Warrior look just like a Cent Barb in its Portrait? Also keep in mind the fact you can customize away from the portrait, what you see.

Yeah when It came out I speculated it to be that but left Good, Middle Neutral, right Evil and the main picture (used as the background on the page) also shows the nice castle and fields on the left and the devastated lands on the right and the tree (Nature) in the middle.

The FAQ makes it sound as if the races are locked to class through the "Archetypes" as well (emphasis added):

You start the Character Creation with a set number of creation points.  You pick an “Archetype” class –basically a race/class combo – from an initial set of options.  Each Archetype has a point cost.  That cost varies depending on the base attributes and skills of that Archetype.  For example, Centaurs have a higher starting Strength, so they are more expensive.  This means they have less points left over to spend…

Maybe there are different ways to read that, but that's my take-away at least.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Please, please, please get some help with the horse body model. Horses are extrememly difficult to get right in an animation and impossible without a deep knowledge of equine anatomy. You can see every leg bone and joint and major muscle group on a horse, you can't just wing it when trying to model one or you end up with a strange looking fugly horse and you don't exactly know why.

Your stifle joint is too low. This should be barely below the belly, not halfway down the leg. Hoof wall angle is too vertical. The front knee on a horse is very angular, but the flat face of that joint splits the difference between the angle of the cannon and radius. It doesn't stay parallel to the cannon as depicted in the concept art. And it isn't so lumpy. The triceps brachii muscle just above and behind the front elbow is one of the major visible muscle groups on a horse, neglecting to emphasize it makes the shoulder look weak and puny. Another major visible muscle group is the gaskin. It needs definition.

Now the above might sound super picky and you could say, hey we aren't going for realism here, but would you draw a human warrior with weak biceps? Or no pectoral muscles? No Abs? Deltoids? These major muscle groups are critical to get right even in a cartoon style, or it just ends up looking weak, or mutant and wierd. Likewise, omitting joints in the lower leg... it happens all the time in horse animations and it's obvious.

Use well conditioned and conformed horses as reference models. They look entirely different than pasture puffs. There are plenty of ugly real life horses, too.

Eheheh.. Relax, weird horse-obsessed person.. 

Isn't designing the whole game system and combat right somewhat more.. important.. than the elbow of a horse?  :)