Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noobzilla_youtube

3Rd Person (Over The Shoulder) Mouse And Keyboard Controls Confirmed

Does combat use tab-targeting?

No. We’ve tried to make combat in Crowfall a little more action-combat focused, than your traditional MMO.  For instance, we have “dashes” that you use to avoid attacks, as opposed to a passive (randomized) dodge system.  Finding the right balance on this one has been extremely challenging from a design perspective, but we think we’ve found a mid-point. Hopefully you’ll agree.

2. How does targeting work?

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character.  There is no hard “target”.  Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

Seems somewhat similar to GW2 combat or is it just me?

Doesn't sound anything like GW2 to me, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Those answers are still pretty vague. They still don't specify whether abilities will require aiming or skill to use. It says there is no hard target, but that doesn't mean there can't be soft targeting, which is pretty common, even in action mmos.

Ugh, still so much we don't know, it's frustrating. :unsure:

Edited by supernautilus

Those answers are still pretty vague. They still don't specify whether abilities will require aiming or skill to use. It says there is no hard target, but that doesn't mean there can't be soft targeting, which is pretty common, even in action mmos.

Really? Sounded like GW2 for me. You have a small amount of dodges/dashes. Your abilities could be cone/rectangle. I guess those were only the aoe abilities and not single target. Semi GW2 then. Then agian I played super early so idk what it's like now.

Seems somewhat similar to GW2 combat or is it just me?

GW2 uses lots of target skills and in some cases I find it very annoying, and feel it takes away from the experience. Fully "skill-shot" based gameplay would be my preference and I feel thats what the devs are leaning towards

GW2 uses lots of target skills and in some cases I find it very annoying, and feel it takes away from the experience. Fully "skill-shot" based gameplay would be my preference and I feel thats what the devs are leaning towards

It doesn't seem they are leaning towards that to me. It sounds like they are using something that sounds like Wildstar's combat, and I thought was pretty lame, as it's not "fully skill-shot". In my opinion, a truly skill based game should require you to aim, similar to games like Tera. GW2 and Wildstar were both some kind of weird hybrid, a mix of old school tab targeting and true action mmo combat. I say go one way or the other, not both. That just alienates both types of players.

Is there a drawback to that that I should know about?

There should be some degree of realism. If someone is sneaking up behind you, you should only be able to see them at the last 1-3 seconds, not when they're a mile away.

It also reduces the usefulness of scouts (both figurative scouts and scout archetypes).

There should be some degree of realism. If someone is sneaking up behind you, you should only be able to see them at the last 1-3 seconds, not when they're a mile away.

It also reduces the usefulness of scouts (both figurative scouts and scout archetypes).

I disagree about the degree of realism being important. To me, mmos are so far removed from the present that they can only be described in superlatives. I can't see why a bit of difference in view angle would be where you draw the realism line. You can't watch yourself from above in real life in the first place, but a bit bigger view is too much?

I do see what you mean about the gameplay aspects and it could certainly affect small scale scouting engagements or stealth ganks if that turns out to be viable. That will depend on how stealth turns out to work. If it is like in SB and you are truly invisible, it wouldn't make a difference unless you already have the counter to stealth anyway. For large scale scouting of troop movements and the like for sieges and battles, I would hope it would not be so drastic as to be able to see a whole battlefield without needing a scout, but rather just enough to be comfortable. I like having a pretty high 3rd person view point or I start to feel claustrophobic, personally.

They mention "projectiles hitting accidental targets" that would lead me to believe range attacks (at least some of them) don't use lock-on and the attacks can either be blocked by other players (IE Imagine a tank stepping in front of a mage to intercept a spell/arrow) or accidentally hit a friendly or environment object.

I really hope it doesn't use "soft locks" for range (like ESO), they might as well call it by it's more well known term, Auto-aim, because that's what it is (at least in the games I played with "soft locks").

Using spells/range, it's much more rewarding to have it land based on physics and where you aim.

Also this would allow for them to balance range around having higher dmg then many other mmorpgs, where they limit it based on the fact there's a target lock or auto-aim.

If a player has to aim this allows them to equate that into balancing ithe dmg output higher for the fact that not every arrow or magic spell will find its target.