Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Look: Building a ballista - Official discussion thread

Pann

I expected / wished for the Myrmidon =( Well getting support by a ballista is great too!

Same. Was hoping to get the Myrmidon powers or something. However the ballistas look pretty cool to me and that's coming from someone who typically isn't drawn to vehicles/siege weapons.

New ballistas look awesome, can't wait. I feel attackers are going to have a really rough time in this upcoming build. But that's fine, by the time the game goes live all the remaining pieces of the puzzle should be in place. Right now we're just testing individual pieces. 

looks cool............please be SP next test!

no more hunger dome

i'm afraid we'll go SP for a week then back to dome for another 1 months for myrm like with druid....[coming up to near what 2 months now?]

dome isn't even a representative test of balance as we all know from dome to siege last time....

Edited by Tinnis

Will the attackers get a ballista in the siege camp?

I liked the idea of the ballista, but I'm not sure about the implementation.  A healing/buff field?  An AE snare?  I was expecting the anti-catapult shot and we'd been warned on the stackbuster power.  Seems hella effective.  I hope the construction cost and time in the CWs justify the usefulness.

One does not simply lay siege to a Keep. :P

But, seriously, just imagine what it'll be like when we have a Castle in-game. How many ballistas could fit around that thing?

Hopefully we'll see some interesting SP engagements with this, and not just leeroy jenkins it till a side wins...

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Looks like these have a pretty big dead zone in front of the walls? Meaning you can't shoot down below you and only near the walls at an extreme angle to the left or right. I get not making them too effective but should be able to shoot a bit lower and closer to the walls, IMO. Otherwise a cheesy strat could be just to clump in a zerg ball hugging the walls until your catapults break the walls down.

Looks like these have a pretty big dead zone in front of the walls? Meaning you can't shoot down below you and only near the walls at an extreme angle to the left or right. I get not making them too effective but should be able to shoot a bit lower and closer to the walls, IMO. Otherwise a cheesy strat could be just to clump in a zerg ball hugging the walls until your catapults break the walls down.

Boiling oil or rocks?  A different piece of siege equipment would make more sense (as far as players directly adjacent to the walls is concerned). 

The ballista looks cool and I'm glad we have it, but... I am not really wild about the "fields" it provides. I know, I know--magic and all that.  Still, it just seems contrived.

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Boiling oil or rocks?  A different piece of siege equipment would make more sense.  The ballista looks cool and I'm glad we have it, but... I am not really wild about the "fields" it provides. I know, I know--magic and all that.  Still, it just seems contrived.

That's was my only real comment. Not sure the magic fields fits with a defensive weapon. But who knows might lead to some interesting gameplay.

Looking for a casual guild ...

Boiling oil or rocks?  A different piece of siege equipment would make more sense (as far as players directly adjacent to the walls is concerned). 

The ballista looks cool and I'm glad we have it, but... I am not really wild about the "fields" it provides. I know, I know--magic and all that.  Still, it just seems contrived.

True though will depend if boiling oil and such are bound to build points like the ballista are.

Personally have no issue with the magic and effects of these. Its in keeping with the rest of the game so it fits well I think. Catapults have similar various effect as well so why shouldn't defensive siege equipment have the same or similar mechanics. Siege equipment should be powerful, IMO sieges should be hard and challenging not just something that can be done in a few minutes then reset it like some arena moba game or something. 

Hey Artcraft ya'll need to let us test this with different castle wall configurations before you wrap it up and call it done, I'd like to see it fully tested before launch so we can limit buffs/nerfs to siege equipment after game release. This is after all core game play...

Thanks for listening to your testers.