Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BentPencils

Double Jump

Hi. First time posting. I hope there isn't a thread on this already, but i couldn't find one. Maybe its mentioned in a movement thread, I dont know.

I just wanted to add Double Jump as a movement idea for the Suggestion Box. I know it seems like a small unimportant thing but I personally have always felt that double jump adds an extra layer to action based games, and is indeed very fun as well.

Timing your double jumps and leaps/blinks to cross gaps, Jumping off something and realizing you made a terrible mistake and having that second jump to help you clutch your life from the jaws of certain gravity based doom, or just jumping because it gives you a happy bouncy feels.

Wildstar has many issues but it's double jump was always something i found great pleasure in, while out in the world doing anything. Even WoW is now adding double jump to their new Demon Hunter Class.

As i said, it's a small thing and maybe not to everyone's taste, but i feel it adds fun, energy and a certain freedom to movement. It's just a thought.

Hi. First time posting. I hope there isn't a thread on this already, but i couldn't find one. Maybe its mentioned in a movement thread, I dont know.

I just wanted to add Double Jump as a movement idea for the Suggestion Box. I know it seems like a small unimportant thing but I personally have always felt that double jump adds an extra layer to action based games, and is indeed very fun as well.

Timing your double jumps and leaps/blinks to cross gaps, Jumping off something and realizing you made a terrible mistake and having that second jump to help you clutch your life from the jaws of certain gravity based doom, or just jumping because it gives you a happy bouncy feels.

Wildstar has many issues but it's double jump was always something i found great pleasure in, while out in the world doing anything. Even WoW is now adding double jump to their new Demon Hunter Class.

As i said, it's a small thing and maybe not to everyone's taste, but i feel it adds fun, energy and a certain freedom to movement. It's just a thought.

it could work (and without a middle finger to physics) on the assassin with their wings :) but not for all archetypes.

How about the pony? How is he going to jump that high? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingering

i swear I only know this from Terry Pratchett's Discworld! :P

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Earliest versions of the game did have a double jump, for the Knight at least. It didn't last long as pretty sure they just didn't like the way it looked and felt. The same way that the telegraphs on all ability's got phased out as well. At this point though I don't think double jumps fit in with the direction they are currently going.

Exploration is one of my favorite aspects of gaming, and I love environments that offer scale variety (like the new Tomb Raiders, or the Dark Souls games), especially verticality, where you can see spaces that are currently out or reach, above and below.  Exploring such spaces naturally means jumping, climbing, crouching, etc., and I would love to see more MMOs incorporate platforming type elements to facilitate exploration of the environment.  Such elements could also lead to emergent tactics as players use terrain in creative ways to sneak up on opponents, find sniping spots, put vertical distance between them and their opponent with pre-planned retreat routes, use physics to knock their opponents off ledges and so much more.  

I am of the mindset that using the terrain to your advantage isn't an exploit as long as your enemy can get to your location the same way you did.  So, in short, I am in favor of jumping (and other acrobatic skills) in general, with double-jumping perhaps restricted by archetype or discipline.  Exploration and terrain tactics aside, those acrobatic skills should definitely be usable in combat to make characters more mobile, though I think a steep stamina penalty for jumping in combat would be in order to prevent, constant hopping tactics.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Exploration is one of my favorite aspects of gaming, and I love environments that offer scale variety (like the new Tomb Raiders, or the Dark Souls games), especially verticality, where you can see spaces that are currently out or reach, above and below.  Exploring such spaces naturally means jumping, climbing, crouching, etc., and I would love to see more MMOs incorporate platforming type elements to facilitate exploration of the environment.  Such elements could also lead to emergent tactics as players use terrain in creative ways to sneak up on opponents, find sniping spots, put vertical distance between them and their opponent with pre-planned retreat routes, use physics to knock their opponents off ledges and so much more.  

I am of the mindset that using the terrain to your advantage isn't an exploit as long as your enemy can get to your location the same way you did.  So, in short, I am in favor of jumping (and other acrobatic skills) in general, with double-jumping perhaps restricted by archetype or discipline.  Exploration and terrain tactics aside, those acrobatic skills should definitely be usable in combat to make characters more mobile, though I think a steep stamina penalty for jumping in combat would be in order to prevent, constant hopping tactics.

oh yea.

you reminded me re: "exploration"

this would indeed fit well as a discipline runestone rather than on a specific archetype.

e.g. on the examples they gave - there was as ACROBAT (giving 'super leap' and grappling hook)

p.s. jumping is already quite 'expensive' for your hunger / food cost :)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I LOVE double jumping as well, and if not for everyone, could certain fit for a discipline made for ppl that would be scouting out the enemy and such, having that extra jump in midair, that most the enemies wouldn't could be the difference between life and death if you were spotted

The original demonstration of the game was essentially Wildstar. It had double jumps, and ppl like me actively resisted the feature because we were invested in features like player collision, tactical combat and strategy.

Even regular jumping in most games is exaggerated as a form of platform hopping to bypass little things like climbing and terrain unevenness, but with a tactical premise, I'd rather players not move over each other unless they're specifically designed for that advantage.

Jumping should be handicapped unless your a Fae or something like Guineacian. I'd rather have quality flight on the winged archetype and gravity on the rest, even better still would be climbing and rappelling for other archetypes, not bouncing around.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Is this what I think it is? Jumping once and while in the air you actually somehow jump again? If so, I don't like it at all. I would be open to a bit of control in the air but not a completely new jump.

Is this what I think it is? Jumping once and while in the air you actually somehow jump again? If so, I don't like it at all. I would be open to a bit of control in the air but not a completely new jump.

Ever played Wildstar? If not here's a quick funny vid with the double jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enbehSDMpFw

I'm open to having double jumps on the Assassin or Exploration disciplines, but give them to the larger Archetypes, especially the Legionnaire, and I'll slap Todd out of his fantasy since neither Blair nor Gordon did it for me :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Why does it not fit the aesthetic? We have physics impulses throwing people hundreds of yards left and right. Why not a double jump?

Because.

MOkvLlm.png

You are hard to argue with my man.

Maybe not a double jump, but some kind of "super jump" or something sounds awfully cool.

Double jump is fun, and in a world of magic you can make anything work. But I cannot imagine a knight jumping and then 5 ft off the ground jumping again, or a centaur etc. 

Fae, maybe a duelist... champion could have a much higher jump since hes so muscular, confessor could aim their R click into the air and dash their direction etc.... but no wild star, demon hunter, floaty jump on a knight.. i cant do it

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

double jump is good idea (my favorite moments of this game is physics and parkour) but I think not all archetypes should have it or it should be as active skill/buff from disciplines

better give characters new stat - jump power (they have weight already). lighter archetypes can jump higher

bonus to jump for some sets or boots

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

it could work (and without a middle finger to physics) on the assassin with their wings :) but not for all archetypes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingering

i swear I only know this from Terry Pratchett's Discworld! :P

People do custarded up poorly made socks for custarded up reasons. 

On topic, I think "double jump" could work for some classes, but definitely not most. Ex: how is a four-legged beast supposed to find footing mid-air?

Hg0LXwa.png

Ever played Wildstar? If not here's a quick funny vid with the double jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enbehSDMpFw

I'm open to having double jumps on the Assassin or Exploration disciplines, but give them to the larger Archetypes, especially the Legionnaire, and I'll slap Todd out of his fantasy since neither Blair nor Gordon did it for me :P

LOL maybe we need triple flips too. Quadruple for assassins! And don't forget pirouette's!!! If we borrow anything eastern for Crowfall i hope it comes from the souls series and not something like Wildstar. No I never played it, just looking at the play style made me vomit.