Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chain Pull, Pursuit and Whirling Leap, Of Noble Blood

Helix

All four of these abilities have issues.

Chain Pull: It feels heavily ineffective, deals no damage and is on a relatively long cool down for what it does. That's not including the fact that physics are still extremely wonky, and you're just as likely to throw the target clear over yourself as you are to pull them (or in some situations, NOT pull them, even if you land it). It also doesn't help that everyone has a 20m+ dash of some sort, so pulling them will simply result in the target dashing away. 

I'd like to see some sort of CC (most likely a suppress, a stun might be too much) tied to the end of the pull. It could even be a combo (which would feel more organic, even tho I hate the combo system as is).

Pursuit: Lately this ability has been feeling a little bit more responsive, but it still feels hard to steer in many situations. Especially when there is the tiniest bit of lag. The animation root on the end is the biggest fault with this ability, by the time you've found a target, dashed to him and executed the end animation, the target is usually already halfway to timbuktu. 

I'd like to see the animation root shortened and/or the stun duration lengthened.

Whirling Leap: As far as ultimate abilities go, this one is limp hooligan. Either change it to a medium-long range ground aoe initiation leap that stuns/interrupts targets in the area, or remove it completely.

Of Noble Blood: Extremely bland. Offers the group no utility. I'd like to see it become a group barrier buff, maybe even a small HoT based on how much damage the shield absorbed.

Right now the knight feels pretty "meh". I actually think a lot of this has to do with the fact the knight only has access to 6 abilities (for this example the legionnaire also feels "meh" but he's got two heals, so he's useful).

all his other powers have issues, as does his identity, relevance and role as a 'tank' and what he brings to a group that can't be done better elsewhere 

at least lego, while also suffering from limited power choice, has a defined and effective group identity and role = mobility and healing.

all his other powers have issues, as does his identity, relevance and role as a 'tank' and what he brings to a group that can't be done better elsewhere 

at least lego, while also suffering from limited power choice, has a defined and effective group identity and role = mobility and healing.

I think the issue with the other abilities is largely due to the setup time required to execute them. Anything that requires you to sit still for x amount of time in a "rolling" battle is going to have issues. Especially when you're giving everyone long ranged dashes/escapes. Shield Bash and Slam both suffer from too much "animation rootitis".

I also think burying CC deep in combo chains and attaching long elaborate animations to them in the name of "giving people time to react" is dumb, but that's just my opinion. CC needs to be snappy, and if the devs feel that CC would be too overbearing / obnoxious, they just need to implement counter mechanics (which they already have with retaliate). I mean, it's not like physic related CC are not a problem, right?  /sarcasm.

I'm okay with encouraging people to coordinate and execute abilities, but it's kinda ridiculous the amount of team coordination you need to take advantage of the abilities on the knight. The whole 1 ability bar vs. 2 ability bars is just another compound issue which irks the poorly made socks out of me.

Edited by helix

Whirling Leap is useless on its own, but can be deadly in combination with a champion or the druid lightning combo (or both).

Whirling leap also has a fairly ridiculous range for its vortex effect.

I'm okay with abilities from different classes working in conjunction. It's the "this thing is completely useless on its own" and the fact it's supposed to be an ultimate that gets me.

I'm okay with abilities from different classes working in conjunction. It's the "this thing is completely useless on its own" and the fact it's supposed to be an ultimate that gets me.

This is rank speculation, but I'm not sure we should be conceptualizing the C button as a "ultimate" in the way LoL or Overwatch have "ultimates" (e.g. massive, nearly unbalanced, short duration abilities that can cause major devastation to an opposing team).

This is rank speculation, but I'm not sure we should be conceptualizing the C button as a "ultimate" in the way LoL or Overwatch have "ultimates" (e.g. massive, nearly unbalanced, short duration abilities that can cause major devastation to an opposing team).

i'd say it sounds better than 'iframe power....but they aren't all iframe powers...'

but even by cooldown it doesn't make sense. plenty of archetypes have longer cooldown non C powers :)

Edited by Tinnis

I've found myself using the Leap Slam ability to great effect on a number of occasions. Sure, it's wonky and doesn't work reliably but it does have some utility. I like to use it to:

...interrupt a long combo.

...pull someone back who is trying to run away.

...pull someone off a ledge or stairwell (hopefully to their deaths)

...pull a clump of enemies closer together so they can be hit with multiple AoEs.

That last one works best right after an AoE stun from a Champion and in combination with some suppression. They get up from the stun to run away and are pulled back into some major AoE damage (also aura emitter). The ledge trick takes advantage of the wonkiness of the physics engine. Often, instead of piling up at your location, pulled targets will slide past you...and in this case off of a cliff or wall.

You can also use it to negate falling damage or supplement your block after you've run out of stamina.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

• 4 months later...

Agree on most of your points. I'd also say that the Knights passive is a joke considering it's on a cooldown.

So the very second something drops you below 20% it'll auto heal you a little bit for a few seconds then be completely useless and still leave you close to death.

Shadowbane style advantage / disadvantage disciplines when? ~Yianni 1/21/21