Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Part II: Building the ballista - Official discussion thread

Pann

Waiting for Myrmidon powers like...

Cool stuff though.

Yeah, they did the live stream and showed two months of updates, so weve had some pretty un exciting stuff since. Excited for myrmidon soon!

Animations and art look pretty great. Kinda weird seeing a ballista as big as a house and the player disappearing but it doesnt really matter

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

The sounds are great, reminds me of the later "The Settlers" Title. What worries me though is the giant dust explosion... On the other hand the small FX afterwards is great!

Maybe make it like the FX at the end but it scrolls from bottom to top "creating" the next build state?

Anyways: way better then a damn circle. We are in an MMO after all and not a MOBA or FPS.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I love the sound effects, it actually gives me some RTS nostalgia from games like age of empires. And the fact that it has multiple layers of progression is amazing too. However I hope it doesn't actually take only 30 seconds to build in the actual game, I feel it should take a lot longer so that buildings/castles/towers aren't immediately sieged up just because you have the resources available. Perhaps make it take a few days. I'm not sure how the rest feels about this though. Other than that I love everything about it  :D

I look at something like this and I think--CF has the marvelous opportunity to use items/features like the ballista to create a whole type of social, political and economic interaction that is nearly unique in gaming.  Imagine a guild who specializes in siegecraft hiring out as mercenaries to the highest bidder for the duration of the campaign.  This could very well be a real thing in CF. 

However, this level of depth cannot be achieved if ACE doesn't handle crafting with care.  Let anyone and everyone do it without specialization (hard, meaningful choices) or without active (as opposed to only passive) progression, and large guilds will have no need of mercenaries or alliances (or even a contingent of dedicated crafters) in many circumstances.  Allow for interdependence and the game will be a much more engaging experience. 

Or, it could simply be: 

"Hey Turobmanlet, the walls are up and Animerulez is going to siege soon.  You, xXLegolasXx and urm0m need to login as your siege toons and put up the ballistas ASAP."

"Alright Trumpfetus, I had that extra account passively leveling up since November so that alt should be ready--just give me the reagents."

"Ah crap, I've got them on my gather toon, lol.  Brb."

Epic...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

The stages looks amazing, dont like the whole explosions things tbh, Then rather have the stages swap with nothing visible, or have an NPC worker actually stand at it and build.

Really like in GW2 WvWvW keeps and towers there were 1 or 2 (needed to upgrade for the 2nd but was almost always the first upgrade you would do) available at each keep/tower, and he/they would then physically run forth and back between a part being constructed/upgraded, and the supply depot in the keep/tower. Maybe something similar would be possible here that way also with limited workers you would have to decide not only what to build where, but also in what order (you would obviously need more than 1 or 2 workers with the sizes of forts/strongholds etc in CF, how many I dunno up to the devs to figure out tbh how many would make sense to have)

Edited by Gummiel

Maybe make it like the FX at the end but it scrolls from bottom to top "creating" the next build state?

Something like GoT opening : buildings "rising" from the ground, but I believe it's much more complicated

But the end of the animation (the bow part aiming down, the gear rotating and then aiming forward) is really really cool.

Kinda weird seeing a ballista as big as a house

Agreed, but on second thought it makes them really impressive, something that you should fear (if the damages done match the appearance) 

I would like to see a timer or a bar as well as this. In an RTS like star-craft you can see the building going up but you also have a progress bar so you can quickly see how much longer you have to wait.

The smoke-splosion is overly dramatic during the building phase... but I'll buy it if you make the destruction smoke-splosion bigger (instead of the other way around.  As it is, destruction looks entirely lackluster in comparison.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger