Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everybody!

Greetings to the Community!

I have been observing the development of Crowfall for a while now, and finally decided to join. I have been playing other MMOs for the past few years, and there is something in Crowfall that really caught my attention: the temporary nature of the worlds!

I really like the idea that there is a fresh start with every new world, and that those worlds can be configured differently, appealing for players with different preferences. I have a question on this subject:

» From what has been announced and discussed, is there any idea if some of these worlds can also be configured so that they only accept players with similar levels of experience? I am not asking about gear, but about experience (eventually quantified by achievements, time played with a char, or char power).

And since I would like to jump right into the tests, got a few more question about that:

» Are there any guides available on the current archetypes: list of abilities and what they do?

» How about the PvP maps, anywhere I can read about them?

» The next test announcement on the main page, does it display user time (my time), or server time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Looking forward to be a part of a great game here, along with you all!  :)

Greetings, SevenLights:

» From what has been announced and discussed, is there any idea if some of these worlds can also be configured so that they only accept players with similar levels of experience? I am not asking about gear, but about experience (eventually quantified by achievements, time played with a char, or char power).

I've never heard of anything like this.  I wouldn't say it's exactly impossible given the configurable nature of the campaign worlds, though.

» Are there any guides available on the current archetypes: list of abilities and what they do?

There are two places you can check:

1) On the Crowfall Youtube page, you can find the brief tutorials they've done, except for the newest (Druid): Click me!

2) Have a look at Tinnis' community resource page.  It has a little of everything in there, with a lot of detailed info: Me too!

» How about the PvP maps, anywhere I can read about them?

I'm not too sure what you mean by PvP maps.  The current testing features small testing levels (the Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous) but they aren't representative of the live game.  We'll be seeing large continents, full of open world PvP.  Here's the offical faq about Campaigns:  CW Faq

» The next test announcement on the main page, does it display user time (my time), or server time?

These should be in your local time.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.  Also, browse the Faq section and the Media section.  Artcraft have put out a ridiculous amount of videos over the past year and a half (or so).  Have fun!

... any idea if some of these worlds can also be configured so that they only accept players with similar levels of experience? I am not asking about gear, but about experience (eventually quantified by achievements, time played with a char, or char power).

Crowfall is a highly team-based game, so it's not really about your individual skill or experience level. It's more about your guild or faction, and the skill, organization, and teamwork your group has. An individual matchmaking system (like esport arena games) would prevent people from playing with their friends.

There was some discussion of eventually having a tournament structure for competitive guilds.

tiPrpwh.png

Good stuff, Hyriol... Thanks!

My question on the map was about the current Alpha matches, so that I at least move in the right direction when I pop in...  :P

Been watching some videos and I think I got the basic idea on how they are played...

Crowfall is a highly team-based game, so it's not really about your individual skill or experience level. It's more about your guild or faction, and the skill, organization, and teamwork your group has. An individual matchmaking system (like esport arena games) would prevent people from playing with their friends.

There was some discussion of eventually having a tournament structure for competitive guilds.

Thank you for your reply, miraluna...

Actually, I am asking because I was wondering if new players might have the opportunity of entering the game in a protected environment, instead of matching others with way more experience right away. The same thing considering that some players might dedicate 10h per day and others 10h per week, and the subsequent gap in PvP experience may have consequences that I have witnessed in many other games, and are not to my liking.

So, in sum, I was wondering if Crowfall approach to the creation of worlds might be able to provide protected environments for progressive learning, and for players who cannot commit half of their lives to the game...  ;)

Edited by SevenLights

Although "protected" would only apply to the personal Eternal Kingdoms, I do think the varied "risk vs reward" rulesets of Campaign Worlds will basically provide what you are describing.

Players can choose the Campaign World rulesets they want to participate in, and the 3-faction one would have the least risk, and be the most friendly for inexperienced or casual players. There really isn't any gear or level gating to content in CF, so every player can jump into whatever CW fits best with their playstyle. A new player could also jump right into the Dregs FFA with the most hardcore, competitive guilds just because some people are crazy like that  :P

tiPrpwh.png

Good stuff, Hyriol... Thanks!

My question on the map was about the current Alpha matches, so that I at least move in the right direction when I pop in...  :P

Been watching some videos and I think I got the basic idea on how they are played...

Thank you for your reply, miraluna...

Actually, I am asking because I was wondering if new players might have the opportunity of entering the game in a protected environment, instead of matching others with way more experience right away. The same thing considering that some players might dedicate 10h per day and others 10h per week, and the subsequent gap in PvP experience may have consequences that I have witnessed in many other games, and are not to my liking.

So, in sum, I was wondering if Crowfall approach to the creation of worlds might be able to provide protected environments for progressive learning, and for players who cannot commit half of their lives to the game...  ;)

Fastest way to close a skill gap will be to join up with a guild.  Even in the less competitive 3-faction rule set there will be guilds coordinating to more efficiently achieve their goals.  Once were closer to launch there will be lots of guilds opening recruitment or forming from scratch.  Audition a few of them (remember you're interviewing a guild as much as they are interviewing you) and join up during beta/live and skill gap can be closed very quickly with a little time and effort. 

• 1 month later...

Nice to see new people around, welcome.

In regards to the OP, it is really about how you want to approach things. New people have their best bet joining a guild and rolling with them initially, understanding the meta and group fight strategies as well as their possible roles in that group. Then you begin a more individual development to make sure you have a viable build and go with it. I honestly think it is all part of the fun and makes guilds more relevant structures. If there is a "safe area" for new players it promotes a sort of single player mentality which in my opinion does no good to the MMO community. I love teaching and instructing, and I also love sharing and learning from my guildies, so it would be sad if the game or any kind of matchmaking system did it all for me.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder