Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

Game Devs, take note

Did y'all just assume their gender?

Apparently we still have a long way to go.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

These are video games, they are pixels.  The fit of the armor doesn't really impact the life or death of a video game character. 

You can argue political correctness either way you do it.  Either you are objectifying the female form too much or you aren't letting the female form be expressed freely enough. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

These are video games, they are pixels.  The fit of the armor doesn't really impact the life or death of a video game character. 

You can argue political correctness either way you do it.  Either you are objectifying the female form too much or you aren't letting the female form be expressed freely enough. 

But muh aesthetics! 

Agreed, all this nitpicking poop stirring nonsense personally pisses me off. They're nonexistent people. Hard facts are that the vast majority of gamers are male. No, I don't need every damn woman to be a half naked bimbo in my games, but we don't need to all scream in terror when one does show up. Poseidon knows they exist in real life and, frankly, as a straight male I don't mind see a pretty female character every so often even if her armor is more style than realistic. Also every single woman I know who DOES play video games would rather play as a hot looking chick or a sexy male because video games are part of fantasy fulfillment and escapism.

Being the sexy beloved hero everyone wants to bang should be as equally acceptable as being the scarred psychopathic dark lord child murderer because none of it is real and it's make believe fun.

In addition, most of the guys in video games are handsome badasses that I wish I could be 10% of yet no one says a peep about them. Guess you have to be gay or a woman to avoid be sexist though, meh.

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

Agreed, all this nitpicking poop stirring nonsense personally pisses me off. They're nonexistent people. Hard facts are that the vast majority of gamers are male. No, I don't need every damn woman to be a half naked bimbo in my games, but we don't need to all scream in terror when one does show up. Poseidon knows they exist in real life and, frankly, as a straight male I don't mind see a pretty female character every so often even if her armor is more style than realistic. Also every single woman I know who DOES play video games would rather play as a hot looking chick or a sexy male because video games are part of fantasy fulfillment and escapism.

Being the sexy beloved hero everyone wants to bang should be as equally acceptable as being the scarred psychopathic dark lord child murderer because none of it is real and it's make believe fun.

In addition, most of the guys in video games are handsome badasses that I wish I could be 10% of yet no one says a peep about them. Guess you have to be gay or a woman to avoid be sexist though, meh.

Guys get realistic armor...

Guys get realistic armor...

Tidus from FFX? Hanzo, Roadhog, and Reinhardt from Overwatch? None of their armor is unrealistic obviously. I'd go half naked to a gun fight too and poorly made socks, Tidus fights demigods and monsters in what is basically an athlete's outfit. Even for females, no one complains about Mei or Mercy's unrealistic as custard looks (thick Eskimo clothing while running around, adrenaline pumping, in warm climates? Suuuure. Realistic. US Army just had two training causalities from heat stroke but yeah whatever).

My point being is that they went for a style and not for realism, so yes, it's pointless to use them as examples (which is, again, the damn point). They're video games. Just video games. People only seem to freak out and scream when females show a bit of flesh but not for anything else equally ridiculous or when men do it. If you simply point it out as a style choice then you're an arse who likes objectifying women...

In my humble opinion it's exhausting. Too much noise, too much trying to make something evil. I'm a big boy, seeing body parts doesn't and shouldn't bug me especially since it's hardly a full show. Saying that creating females in a sexual way is objectifying real woman and creates rapists, sexists, ect is almost the same as saying that video games trivialize violence and create emotionless murderers. We've already been through this...

I don't even have a side in this. I think the whole argument is silly. People say what they want, but the fact is sexual mods are still among Skyrim's most popular mods... is that wrong? Well, why are you even judging? It's not your business what people do in a damn video game with negligible effect on your life or that of others.

Phew, sorry. It just irks me how some people go out of their way to kick out of their own bubble and siege into someone else's and then demand things of them. Like, hey, you have your own damn bubble. Let me do what I want with mine, okay?

Tidus from FFX? Hanzo, Roadhog, and Reinhardt from Overwatch? None of their armor is unrealistic obviously. I'd go half naked to a gun fight too and poorly made socks, Tidus fights demigods and monsters in what is basically an athlete's outfit. Even for females, no one complains about Mei or Mercy's unrealistic as custard looks (thick Eskimo clothing while running around, adrenaline pumping, in warm climates? Suuuure. Realistic. US Army just had two training causalities from heat stroke but yeah whatever).

My point being is that they went for a style and not for realism, so yes, it's pointless to use them as examples (which is, again, the damn point). They're video games. Just video games. People only seem to freak out and scream when females show a bit of flesh but not for anything else equally ridiculous or when men do it. If you simply point it out as a style choice then you're an arse who likes objectifying women...

In my humble opinion it's exhausting. Too much noise, too much trying to make something evil. I'm a big boy, seeing body parts doesn't and shouldn't bug me especially since it's hardly a full show. Saying that creating females in a sexual way is objectifying real woman and creates rapists, sexists, ect is almost the same as saying that video games trivialize violence and create emotionless murderers. We've already been through this...

I don't even have a side in this. I think the whole argument is silly. People say what they want, but the fact is sexual mods are still among Skyrim's most popular mods... is that wrong? Well, why are you even judging? It's not your business what people do in a damn video game with negligible effect on your life or that of others.

Phew, sorry. It just irks me how some people go out of their way to kick out of their own bubble and siege into someone else's and then demand things of them. Like, hey, you have your own damn bubble. Let me do what I want with mine, okay?

Well said. The complaints on this forums are ridiculous. The amount of hurdles these guys are jumping through for the sake of the complaints of a very small minority on the forums is outrageous. I could care less about female centaurs or realistic armor. And I'd hate to look at an ugly avatar all day. I'd take style over realism any day of the week for my games.

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Well said. The complaints on this forums are ridiculous. The amount of hurdles these guys are jumping through for the sake of the complaints of a very small minority on the forums is outrageous. I could care less about female centaurs or realistic armor. And I'd hate to look at an ugly avatar all day. I'd take style over realism any day of the week for my games.

I know you are not necessarily suggesting anything that follows in this post, but what you stated has me thinking...

First, big, flashy, glowing, huge shoulder pad space-armor and stripper clothes armor have both been done to absolute death in the genre.  This extremely unrealistic armor was created for stylistic reasons, of course, and has never appealed to me.  Obviously, style is involved in more realistic looking armors from popular fantasy franchises as well--from the nearly medieval Game of Thrones to the creative, yet mostly realistic, armor of the Lord of the Rings movies.  You cannot argue that these aesthetics are not popular or successful.   

Second, it also seems apparent that it was ACE's intent all along not to make female avatars half naked by default.  Again, I am pleased with this because the genre is saturated with chain mail bikinis.  They have also picked styles for each archetype, so you may see a more scantly clad druid or champion (as fitting with their more nature orientated, primal and barbarian nature) but a female legio would have a bit more of an ancient Roman soldier aesthetic and a female knight would have a more medieval European inspired suit of armor. This too is very much in line with their design.  Therefore, It isn't as if they are being forced by their supporters for some odd puritanical reasons. 

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Women make up 48% of the gamer market as of 2014, increasing from 40% in 2010.  EDIT:  More women own consoles than men as of 2015.

If you don't see women playing your game, it's because 1) they aren't playing it because of misogynistic content, 2) they aren't playing it because of misogynistic players, 3) they don't make their gender known because it will get them harassed.

I'm all for sexy options.  I'm also all for not sexy options.  You know, like the ones guys get all the time.

BTW, I want to see a flouncy femme-as-fk male Druid.  I also want to see a thick necked, heavily muscled and armored female Champion.

Edited by Kithslayer

Women complaining about female armor has as much to do with men as the black lives matter movement has to do with white people. If you are a man, whether or not you think it is a valid complaint doesn't matter. The gaming industry is already targeted at men. Men have an infinite amount of diversity in character choices to play across many genres of gaming including tall, big-breasted and bouncy women in thong armor. Artcraft is taking a more practical approach to women in body armor which is also saving them the trouble of making boob armor for every archetype.

The point is, just because you and maybe even your female friends prefer sexy female archetypes doesn't change the fact that there's a lack of female equality in most games. Increasing the amount of normal looking female archetypes doesn't mean that men are somehow losing the right to play pre-pubescent Lolita children. Those things still exist...just not in this game.

Women make up 48% of the gamer market as of 2014, increasing from 40% in 2010.  EDIT:  More women own consoles than men as of 2015.

If you don't see women playing your game, it's because 1) they aren't playing it because of misogynistic content, 2) they aren't playing it because of misogynistic players, 3) they don't make their gender known because it will get them harassed.

I'm all for sexy options.  I'm also all for not sexy options.  You know, like the ones guys get all the time.

BTW, I want to see a flouncy femme-as-fk male Druid.  I also want to see a thick necked, heavily muscled and armored female Champion.

I don't know where they pull the data from or where they got their test group from, but it seems I stand corrected in regards to most gamers being male I guess. Either way, it's still a minor point to the overall discussion as my point is still valid; half of all gamers are generally biased towards finding attractive female characters attractive.

1) That is hugely subjective. Most gamers I know, male or female, don't particularly care. They just play the game and don't sit there trying to decide if it's politically correct for them to play it. What is misogynistic content? Playing as a big boobie sexy blondie could be disgusting to a gay man, offensive to a straight man, alluring to a straight man, fantasy fulfillment to a female, offensive to a female, or alluring to a female, ect... 

There could be just as many males not playing because of misogynistic content and saying it would only offend (or not allure!) females is in itself a problem...

2) Problematic players go both ways. I find SJW more annoying than anything and I won't stay in a game lobby when they go off preaching. Again, assuming it's a female only problems is, well, a problem...

3) This is just silly. Being a male on xbox live doesn't protect you from harassment. HA. If there's a voice option it'll be revealed fast enough if they use it, but I promise you abuse and trash talk is hardly exclusive to being female. Likewise, most of the time gender isn't even taken into account. I never tell people in League of Legends that I'm a guy and it's not something people ask because it's pointless. Still doesn't stop the community from being toxic as balls over the stupidest things (and I used to be high plat so I'm, at the worst, decent at the game which is more than most can say).

I too am also for options, but what boggles my mind is that people seem to believe the game industry is out there to just abuse females. There are probably as many examples of sexy males and females as there aren't, especially in today's age, and that might actually be a reason for the increase in gaming population from females. Still, people just scream whenever it shows up insinuating that it's never "okay" which I think is silly.

Many games offer female balanced options, some are notorious for not doing so (Terra, which still has some and a glamour system), but many of those games also don't give any heat for equally revealing male options just because it's apparently a bigger deal for female to be half naked than a male which just makes me scratch my head. A game should be free to choose just like we should be free to choose not to play it.

People are just taking this stuff over the top and spouting nonsense to justify the invasion of other people's beliefs and space. It's exhausting and annoying. Slightly different topic, but same theme, and it's just bizarre how people can be so arrogant:

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/video-game-deus-ex-mankind-divided-under-fire-for-appropriation-of-black-lives-matter/

Not saying they were right, but the reaction to it is just, well, head shake inducing.

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

LOL at that last link. Bioware can't make decent games anymore because all original senior devs jumped ship, so all they have now is their SJW cast of characters in their games.

I agree with many (most) of your points.  For me it has nothing to do with SJW, puritanism or feminazi philosophies, it's also a matter of personal taste and stylistic preferences. There's a difference between sexy and trashy, but again it's all subjective and based on personal taste. I just cringe when I see this. *shrug* I'll still play games like Tera, BDO or whatnot that may have bikini armor and sexy lingerie in their cash shop if the game is good enough, but that certainly counts as a minus in that game's art direction for me. At the end of the day it's really not a big deal, but I'm happy with the direction ACE is going on this.

I don't know where they pull the data from or where they got their test group from, but it seems I stand corrected in regards to most gamers being male I guess. Either way, it's still a minor point to the overall discussion as my point is still valid; half of all gamers are generally biased towards finding attractive female characters attractive.

1) That is hugely subjective. Most gamers I know, male or female, don't particularly care. They just play the game and don't sit there trying to decide if it's politically correct for them to play it. What is misogynistic content? Playing as a big boobie sexy blondie could be disgusting to a gay man, offensive to a straight man, alluring to a straight man, fantasy fulfillment to a female, offensive to a female, or alluring to a female, ect... 

There could be just as many males not playing because of misogynistic content and saying it would only offend (or not allure!) females is in itself a problem...

2) Problematic players go both ways. I find SJW more annoying than anything and I won't stay in a game lobby when they go off preaching. Again, assuming it's a female only problems is, well, a problem...

3) This is just silly. Being a male on xbox live doesn't protect you from harassment. HA. If there's a voice option it'll be revealed fast enough if they use it, but I promise you abuse and trash talk is hardly exclusive to being female. Likewise, most of the time gender isn't even taken into account. I never tell people in League of Legends that I'm a guy and it's not something people ask because it's pointless. Still doesn't stop the community from being toxic as balls over the stupidest things (and I used to be high plat so I'm, at the worst, decent at the game which is more than most can say).

I too am also for options, but what boggles my mind is that people seem to believe the game industry is out there to just abuse females. There are probably as many examples of sexy males and females as there aren't, especially in today's age, and that might actually be a reason for the increase in gaming population from females. Still, people just scream whenever it shows up insinuating that it's never "okay" which I think is silly.

Many games offer female balanced options, some are notorious for not doing so (Terra, which still has some and a glamour system), but many of those games also don't give any heat for equally revealing male options just because it's apparently a bigger deal for female to be half naked than a male which just makes me scratch my head. A game should be free to choose just like we should be free to choose not to play it.

People are just taking this stuff over the top and spouting nonsense to justify the invasion of other people's beliefs and space. It's exhausting and annoying. Slightly different topic, but same theme, and it's just bizarre how people can be so arrogant:

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/video-game-deus-ex-mankind-divided-under-fire-for-appropriation-of-black-lives-matter/

Not saying they were right, but the reaction to it is just, well, head shake inducing.