Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

"The Night of" - new HBO series

Anyone else watching? The whole 'foot fungus' storyline is grossing me out and I can't figure out what it has to do with the rest of the story. Would love to hear some theories. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

HBO has more series than Game Of Thrones? WutFace xD

But sounds kinda interesting? lol

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

idk what that is but im gonna say Stranger Things is way cooler and way better in any way possible

and im shilling it out as the Twin Peaks of this decade

namaste

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

HBO has more series than Game Of Thrones? WutFace xD

But sounds kinda interesting? lol

lol just lol if you never watched the wire or rome emot-viggo.gif

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

idk what that is but im gonna say Stranger Things is way cooler and way better in any way possible.

and im shilling it out as the Twin Peaks of this decade

namaste

For me it had that "unexpected coolness" factor. Like when you try a movie or a game and expect it to be absolutely nothing special, and it turns out to be amazing.

Going to try "The night of" as well.

Edited by rajah

"Stranger Things" was a fun watch, like Stephen King and Dean Koontz had a secret love child in the 80's and we're only just seeing it now. 

"The Night of" was a project James Gandolfini had tried to get going--he died three years ago, but is listed as an exec producer--and he was going to play the role now filled by John Turturro. We (Bacchus and me) were curious about the BBC show it was inspired by, "Criminal Justice" so we scrounged around to find it and have watched the first three episodes so far. Despite a few little differences here and there, TNO follows along very closely. We're trying not to get too far ahead with CJ because TNO is better and we don't want to spoiler ourselves. CJ is still worth watching, though. 

That is interesting Panncakes

I'll have a look at it sometimes now that you mention Gandolfini

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I tread lightly on threads like this just in case someone throws out a spoiler. It is an amazing well done show: writing, directing, acting, editing, score, lighting...EVERYTHING. 

As for his foot issue my guess is to shape our view of him. Make us sympathetic to him. He is a normal guy trying to make his way while dealing with just day to day problems yet is striving to get to the truth about The Night Of. He's alienated as a lawyer (small time public defender), don't make a lot of money, has a kid but is divorced (though he still talks with her...not sure about that story yet), is ostracized because of his skin condition, and now the kid is starting to forget about him.

It psychologically makes us cringe when we see his life, yet despite it all is the only person trying to figure out the truth. Great writing!

It goes downhill in the later half of the season, and the last episode is just "every character makes the least intelligent decision possible for the sake of drama". 

Very frustrated with the show setting my expectations pretty high, after a stellar first ep.

We started calling it "The Night of... Poor Decisions". I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling it for others who haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I will say that the final episode in the BBC version "meh x10". The HBO series had a stronger finish and I felt rewarded for wading through a couple of dumb episodes. 

Have to wonder what the show would have been like with James Gandolfini playing the role of the lawyer that John Turturro did. Turturro did an amazing job though no doubt.

and yeah the show was pretty much about what happens to the cat :P

Edited by pang

Finished it, I think fungus storyline was set in to provide some comical relief to a generally depressive plot, and to further outline the sloppiness of Turturro's character.

I'd probably like it more if there was less emphasis done on the life in jail and more on the investigation, but the general quality of the show is high, so I'd give it a 8/10.

Edited by rajah