Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Milestone shifts and duelists - Official discussion thread

Pann

Yay duelists.  Not keen on rodents, but whatever.  Cosmetics don't affect gameplay.  

Interesting to see what's excluded from the systems you're working on:

- guild support

- character (Crow) persistence across servers

Still, it's really good to see the underlying structure coming together.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

With player placement of buildings (particularly the entitlements for backers) it sounds like EKs are in the works.  That's exciting, too.

How do you plan on doing longer tests?  Not a mini campaign, yet, for this milestone.  So longer SP matches on larger parcels?  Big HD matches that people can drop into without the encroaching hunger to force us together?

Edited by durenthal

Oh yes finally here!!!

I expected a lot of changes to the original concept but this fits perfectly in my opinion!

The cloths are great, their attitude right on point, fur color, style as well as pattern has a great deal of variety.

I am just curious when they don't have any weapons in their concept

What is the correct spelling now though? Guinecean (like guineapig and in the originell text) or Guineacean? I've even see it with a second i in there somewhere once.

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Sounds reasonable, and I know some will be excited about the Duelist.  Personally, I'm still looking forward to the Forgemaster, but I suppose I'll be happy if he makes it in before any Fae does...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Really pumped for the Myrmidon but I've always been interested in the Duelist too. Hopefully Assassin and Frostweaver are close as well!

Things are really starting to come together. Looking forward to being able to play Crowfall like an MMO rather than a match based battleground.

• Supporting dozens of combatants with 30+ FPS
  • Resource spawning and harvesting (by players instead of factories)
  • Crafting (using resources and recipes to create items)
  • Crowdfunding entitlements (i.e. giving backers a “test copy” of the buildings in their pledge packages)
  • Building placement in the 3D world by players (instead of pre-built by us)
  • Improved/New chat system
  • Improved/New settings screen
  • Improved/New skills system
  • Improved/New team selection
  1. Personally I go for 60+ FPS. Unlock the forced v-sync so we can get more than that even if you have the hardware to run it.
  2. Can't wait. Finally something worth fighting over.
  3. Chop chop. Will be interesting to see how the crafting systems work exactly! Looking forward to this one.
  4. Does this include the fort and castle?
  5. See 4.
  6. Very much needed. Eye sore since Day One really.
  7. Keybindings will hopefully work this time.
  8. Account based I hope?
  9. Getting sick on being in teams. Let me group up with people I want. Like in a proper mmo.

Have to go with Durenthal ... where are our guild systems? I need to test this stuff badly.

Edited by Caenth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

FOUNDERS' UPDATE: MILESTONE SHIFTS AND DUELISTS

Hey, folks!

It seems like it’s been a while since our last big “milestone” update, so we thought it would be good to let you know how things are progressing.

Back in April, we outlined our high-level priorities for our next milestone.  Our focus at the time was to stub out the basic elements of a “campaign”: resources and capture points on a pre-set map.

In the time since, we’ve shifted things a bit. Instead of focusing on high-level game systems, we decided to go ahead and bite off some of the more challenging, foundational pieces of the game – i.e. the “big ticket” items that make an MMO work.

These are huge, very challenging features that we knew we would have to face at some point, like stitching parcels together seamlessly to make large worlds that can support hundreds (and thousands) of concurrent players, and optimizing client performance to get more than a dozen characters on the screen. The temptation is to “kick the can” on this stuff because game systems are more fun and easier.  But we can’t launch until we overcome these challenges, and matches (like Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous) can only get you so far. We decided it was time.

As a result, the next big deliverable is going to look a bit different than originally proposed.

Top priorities include:

• Increasing the size of our current world/continent
  • Made up of randomized land parcels,
  • Stitched together seamlessly (players can run from one to the next with no loading or zone boundary)
  • Up (and persistent) over a longer period, i.e. days instead of hours
  • New respawn rules (to accommodate larger continent)

…followed by…

• Resource spawning and harvesting (by players instead of factories)
  • Crafting (using resources and recipes to create items)
  • Crowdfunding entitlements (i.e. giving backers a “test copy” of the buildings in their pledge packages)
  • Building placement in the 3D world by players (instead of pre-built by us)

And, time permitting, we hope to also include …

• Improved/New chat system
  • Improved/New settings screen
  • Improved/New skills system
  • Improved/New team selection
  • New localization tools

(”Hope to include” means that these items are being worked on, but they are low priority for this milestone.  We won’t delay testing the high priority stuff if this stuff isn’t done.)

Is all of the stuff in the quoted area above what will encompass the "Throne Wars" module?

Why is 30 FPS the target? 60 FPS seems to be a very common benchmark for games. Then again few games support battles numbering in the hundreds. Is it 30 FPS because below that is where G-SYNC starts to fail? How/Why did you decide on 30 FPS?  

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Guild

Is all of the stuff in the quoted area above what will encompass the "Throne Wars" module?

Why is 30 FPS the target? 60 FPS seems to be a very common benchmark for games. Then again few games support battles numbering in the hundreds. Is it 30 FPS because below that is where G-SYNC starts to fail? How/Why did you decide on 30 FPS?  

Good point. I'll put up with 30fps if I don't have to encounter lag with hundreds on screen. But 30fps for who? Do you need a $5k monster to reach 30fps?

Speaking from experiencing dipping from 30 to 24 and below is very noticeable. Many games like GW2, Warhammer, and ESO (although ESO was fairly smooth I was able to maintain over a 30fps in that game, but I think their engine was custom built) felt like slide shows.

I fear CU got it right when they spent (literally years) on their tech and engine to make sure sieges with hundreds on screen and little to no hitching / performance issues was a possibility.

Looking forward to how unity will handle REAL seige; so far I remain unimpressed. 

- debbie downer out.

Debbie_Downer.PNG

Edited by helix

Speaking from experiencing dipping from 30 to 24 and below is very noticeable. Many games like GW2, Warhammer, and ESO (although ESO was fairly smooth I was able to maintain over a 30fps in that game, but I think their engine was custom built) felt like slide shows.

I fear CU got it right when they spent (literally years) on their tech and engine to make sure sieges with hundreds on screen and little to no hitching / performance issues was a possibility.

Looking forward to how unity will handle REAL seige, so far I remain unimpressed. 

- debbie downer out.

Debbie_Downer.PNG

Another reason not to take a Unity engine seriously. Although from what they said earlier, they were using Mr. Mike's engine from Shadowbane?

Wow, that guinecean artwork! So awesome, first time I actually get interested in them lol. Exciting news, all of it.

but on this:

I feel like there's still some serious work to be done on that. Even after the first pass of the LoD changes, people on gtx 1080 are below 30fps with less than 40 players on SP. With my gtx 950 I'm usually between 22-28. I thought these latest changes were supposed to keep our fps at 30 most of the time.

I'm excited about all the rest and can't wait for more permanence in the testing, but the difference between hunger dome (consistent 60fps) and siege perilous performance is so huge (even with similar number of players) I'm starting to wonder if all those voxels are really worth the trouble at the end of the day. 

GW2 and ESO felt like slide shows because of server latency though, not only fps. Even when my fps was 60+ (it rarely dropped below 40 in those games), sometimes it'd still feel like I was wading through mud because ping was always 600+ in large siege battles. And I agree on Camelot Unchained, I'm waiting to see what both games bring in terms of performance for large battles. 

So 30fps is the bar? I guess where the game is at, it's an achievable goal...

From what they've said before, I believe 30 is the lower bound. 30 is the number they want to stay above. Hopefully higher gfx settings will allow for 60+ but, as long as 30 is the normal and not the exception Im OK with it.

Not to be a downer but with 5 months left, I will be VERY impressed if at ''soft launch' if that's still a thing, we will have meaningful gameplay.

Unless Art is hiding half of things and will be like ''suprise it's done''. We are still soooo far away.

Like one can argue we have 

a) combat (still not good enough)

b ) some basics of siege mechanics ( shallow for now)

c) skill progression

d) take or break half of archtypes.

Where is

a) guild stuff

b ) resources

c) crafting

d) other half of archetypes ( and their unique tech)

e) persistance

f) vessal system

g) ek's

h) performance

i) hundreads of players

j) disciplines

k) all animations that come with above stuff

m) lot more....

and testing all of those in one at least like 2 weeks long campaign

For now to be honest, I am kinda worried that whatever will be released  at end of december will be so shallow that it will be hardly Crowfall.

Edited by Naur