Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Milestone shifts and duelists - Official discussion thread

Not to be a downer but with 5 months left, I will be VERY impressed if at ''soft launch' if that's still a thing, we will have meaningful gameplay.

Unless Art is hiding half of things and will be like ''suprise it's done''. We are still soooo far away.

Like one can argue we have 

a) combat (still not good enough)

b ) some basics of siege mechanics ( shallow for now)

c) skill progression

d) take or break half of archtypes.

Where is

a) guild stuff

b ) resources

c) crafting

d) other half of archetypes ( and their unique tech)

e) persistance

f) vessal system

g) ek's

h) performance

i) hundreads of players

j) disciplines

k) all animations that come with above stuff

m) lot more....

and testing all of those in one at least like 2 weeks long campaign

For now to be honest, I am kinda worried that whatever will be released  at end of december will be so shallow that it will be hardly Crowfall.

Well, they could delay the launch, or possibly cut out some features.  If they do the latter, I vote they leave out the Crows and Vessels system.

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Funny as it may sound I am getting better/smoother performance from the recent SP tests than from the recent HD tests. That being said, I can deal so long as 30fps is the bare minimum across the board. You guys should be aiming for 60+fps, really.

Edited by chodie

Hg0LXwa.png

Is all of the stuff in the quoted area above what will encompass the "Throne Wars" module?

I'm also not really clear what the change in scope entails.  For this next test phase it feels like we are getting something more like Landmark (resources, crafting, structures) than a Throne War simulator.  Is there going to be any way to tear down other peep's structures?  Or is this a building test pad with open PvP?

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Up until now I've been wondering whether or not it's my rig that is giving me less than* 30 FPS.  Kept telling myself it wasn't my rig until I saw butter smooth Hunger Dome gameplay footage from another player.  Now I'm convinced my system is most likely outdated.

I'm hoping the optimization helps me get 30+ FPS, I'm at a humiliating 20 something.  Hard to defend yourself when you can't see anything while everyone is focus firing YOU.

And now everybody can tell which item I am most excited about (The 30+ FPS).  Can they do it?

The upcoming buildings are most likely non-destructible since it was not listed in this update at all.

Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

• Supporting dozens of combatants with 30+ FPS

I have a question about this one.  30+ FPS with what kind of hardware?  As of right now it almost doesn't matter if you have a 760 or a 1080, the gains are painfully minimal from one to the other.  I would hope the 1080 could attain 200+ fps solo, 100+ small battles and 50+ in large scale battles at 1080p with high settings, and I am being a bit conservative on those settings as I know a 1080 could easily go higher with proper optimization both client and server side.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

I have a question about this one.  30+ FPS with what kind of hardware?  As of right now it almost doesn't matter if you have a 760 or a 1080, the gains are painfully minimal from one to the other.  I would hope the 1080 could attain 200+ fps solo, 100+ small battles and 50+ in large scale battles at 1080p with high settings, and I am being a bit conservative on those settings as I know a 1080 could easily go higher with proper optimization both client and server side.

This is almost certainly never going to be possible. You'll rock maybe 70-80 solo, and that will significantly drop once player models show up. CF is not a super high-def game, comparable to wildstar and even that game had huge issues when it came to performance. War fronts (which were 40v40) were a complete poorly made socks-show. I'm hoping we can have 50 people on the screen at one time, which might be practical if they have culling.

Dope. Very happy with everything they are working on. 

About the fps however. I agree with chodie, a 30+fps  target should be bare minimum. This is a PVP game, If you want retention in this game 60+ fps for big battles should be the goal imo. 

Edited by dsbjon

You need to have a proper processor too, graphics card won't matter near as much as you seem to think it does

Duelist! :D

Since the duelist is up next, does that mean you're working on destructible terrain, or will the Duelist be released like the Ranger, without the Burrow power. Or was destructible terrain scrapped altogether? 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

This is almost certainly never going to be possible. You'll rock maybe 70-80 solo, and that will significantly drop once player models show up. CF is not a super high-def game, comparable to wildstar and even that game had huge issues when it came to performance. War fronts (which were 40v40) were a complete poorly made socks-show. I'm hoping we can have 50 people on the screen at one time, which might be practical if they have culling.

Guess I am too used to FPS games that even with 64 players in a server still manage 100+ FPS with the right hardware.  But regardless I still am setting higher than normal expectations because if it can be done, performance is one of the biggest items that needs to be hashed out.  You can't have a game that relies on player skill and not give them the foundation to use that skill in game.

You need to have a proper processor too, graphics card won't matter near as much as you seem to think it does

Depends on resolution really, but being that MMO's are typically CPU intensive, yes you would need something at least some what decent to expect good performance.  Guess it depends how this game handles that sort of thing.  

30fps with dozens of players is NOT an mmo. They showed in the live stream their new tech/tests/updates with 150-200? players over 30fps. This will be good other wise its going to be another shadowbane.. good ideas and the tech goes to poorly made socks.

MOkvLlm.png

I hate to follow the off-topic video performance bit, but it's important, so I will.   I use a liquid cooled GTX 1070 and did some testing.  I get exactly the same performance at 2560x1440 at high resolution as I do at 1920x1080.  The graphics card isn't being challenged by the content - it barely notices the load, in fact - the bottleneck is somewhere else.  I have an SSD drive so it's definitely not read speed, 16GB RAM, and I have a good CPU, though that's where I saved a little since I only play MMOs.  It looks to me like the bottleneck is the crowfall client itself.  Maybe the new Unity version will make a difference when they switch to 5.4.  Maybe they'll get some optimization done.  In HD, I never drop below 60fps, so the issue is almost certainly the destructible walls in SP, along with the larger number of characters and particle effects on-screen.

Edited by durenthal

Nothing good ever comes from negativity guys. This is the A-Team of industry, let them do the thing! GO ACE GO!

You're right, let's just ask Blair about his cats.

I didn't read negativity, I read concerns from testers/investors about FPS. If ACE can't handle criticism, then maybe they aren't the A team you think they are.

I hate to follow the off-topic video performance bit, but it's important, so I will.   I use a liquid cooled GTX 1070 and did some testing.  I get exactly the same performance at 2560x1440 at high resolution as I do at 1920x1080.  The graphics card isn't being challenged by the content - it barely notices the load, in fact - the bottleneck is somewhere else.  I have an SSD drive so it's definitely not read speed, 16GB RAM, and I have a good CPU, though that's where I saved a little since I only play MMOs.  It looks to me like the bottleneck is the crowfall client itself.  Maybe the new Unity version will make a difference when they switch to 5.4.  Maybe they'll get some optimization done.  In HD, I never drop below 60fps, so the issue is almost certainly the destructible walls in SP, along with the larger number of characters and particle effects on-screen.

Not really off topic, they did address FPS as one of the things they wish to work on.  Having that sort of insight you gave is helpful.  This game has yet to actually utilize our hardware effectively, I am sure once they figure that out we will see nice performance bumps.  I would hope they update the engine once new versions are released for 5.4 as they said they don't want to be early adopters of a new version 

So Duelist is up next. Guess that's to be expected since crafting is in the near future and having a dedicated artisan is necessary. Very interested to see how they'll hand munitions. Was honestly hoping for the Stalker but hopefully see him soon!

Can't wait to see it all start coming together!

At least to my knowledge, Unity has never really been put to the test when it comes to large scale siege based pvp mmorpgs (and no, I'm not talking about poorly made socksty survival games where there is a 100 person cap). If the problem is that the engine simply isn't built for this stuff; that's unfortunate.

Sorry, this simply doesn't inspire confidence, but I'm still willing to play "wait and see".