Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Milestone shifts and duelists - Official discussion thread

I'm kind of scared, aiming for 30 fps seems quite low.  Will optimization later on really get us to the 60-150 that we should be accustomed to?  I dunno if I can see it happening, and big fights with 100+? eeeep

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

In the 12 hour live stream I remember them saying the goal was to not let  fps drop below 30 even in fights with a few hundred on screen (they showed that test with 200 or so bots running around). So I'm sure this 30 fps for dozens of players is just a first stepping stone. Not the end goal. 

In the 12 hour live stream I remember them saying the goal was to not let  fps drop below 30 even in fights with a few hundred on screen (they showed that test with 200 or so bots running around). So I'm sure this 30 fps for dozens of players is just a first stepping stone. Not the end goal. 

Any mention of specs of the machine that did the testing ? 

I don't think so, but Pann and Gordon posted the minimum specs for current testing in a thread a couple months ago as this:

Recommended minimum specs
Dual CPU, Intel I-5 3.0 GHz or better processor
8 GB of system RAM
64 bit Microsoft Windows OS, 7.0 or higher
2 GB of dedicated VRAM in a 3D Card that is compatible with Shader 5.0
GForce 600 series or better, AMD Radeon HD 6970 or better
DirectX 11

Can't say I'm happy about the rats, but to each their own. I've got Gloria Victus to keep me going until everything gets sorted, which uses Unity 5 as well btw. I have a R9 390x and average 120-150 fps and it's early access. Their "Tournaments" only tend to be in the 20 v 20 range max though for what I have seen to date, so I can't vouch for performance with massive numbers.

Can't say I'm happy about the rats, but to each their own. I've got Gloria Victus to keep me going until everything gets sorted, which uses Unity 5 as well btw. I have a R9 390x and average 120-150 fps and it's early access. Their "Tournaments" only tend to be in the 20 v 20 range max though for what I have seen to date, so I can't vouch for performance with massive numbers.

I'm guessing you or anyone for that matter, would not have time to worry about fps when you're in the middle of a bloodbath consisting of 100+ people, especially if you're not lagging.

I'm guessing you or anyone for that matter, would not have time to worry about fps when you're in the middle of a bloodbath consisting of 100+ people, especially if you're not lagging.

Umm... not sure where you're going with this. 100 people is really a low threshold. I played in slideshows with 4-500 on the field on Malog server in Shadowbane NA/EU vs. CN/Pac-Rim (Before the opened Thurin). It sucked, but 100-150 man sieges were done well in that antiquated game, post launch at least. 

Point I was trying to make. Same engine. Good performance in alpha/early access in game "A" that uses engine "X" should hopefully transfer to game "B" that uses engine "X".  

If this game cannot sustain 200 v 200, or hopefully higher, it will have failed. Those numbers will happen, I promise you.

I don't think so, but Pann and Gordon posted the minimum specs for current testing in a thread a couple months ago as this:

Recommended minimum specs: 
Dual CPU, Intel I-5 3.0 GHz or better processor
8 GB of system RAM
64 bit Microsoft Windows OS, 7.0 or higher
2 GB of dedicated VRAM in a 3D Card that is compatible with Shader 5.0
GForce 600 series or better, AMD Radeon HD 6970 or better
DirectX 11

they said the card on the twitch stream test (getting 30 fps+ with ~200 characters running back and forth)

the test computer had a mid powered MOBILE 900 - i think gtx 960m? or perhaps higher at 980m?

unfortunately this information and the video is lost to the void due to ACE not highlighting the twitch stream to save any of it or yet to upload that piece to youtube.

if ACE / MRMIKE could clarify.........

p.s. everyone take the time to appreciate mrmike's linkedin entry for his job at ACE...

qrkUFd0.png

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Umm... not sure where you're going with this. 100 people is really a low threshold. I played in slideshows with 4-500 on the field on Malog server in Shadowbane NA/EU vs. CN/Pac-Rim (Before the opened Thurin). It sucked, but 100-150 man sieges were done well in that antiquated game, post launch at least. 

Point I was trying to make. Same engine. Good performance in alpha/early access in game "A" that uses engine "X" should hopefully transfer to game "B" that uses engine "X".  

If this game cannot sustain 200 v 200, or hopefully higher, it will have failed. Those numbers will happen, I promise you.

My point is that if you're not lagging due to low latency or low frame rate, then does it really matter if you're running on 30 fps or 300 fps ? Unless you monitor your fps like every 2 secs ? 

they said the card on the twitch stream test (getting 30 fps+ with ~200 characters running back and forth)

the test computer had a mid powered MOBILE 900 - i think 960m? or 980m?

unfortunately this information and the video is lost to the void due to ACE not highlighting the twitch stream to save any of it or yet to upload that piece to youtube.

Thanks! Was just wondering where I stood in terms of com specs. As long as I don't lag too much, I don't really care. 

My point is that if you're not lagging due to low latency or low frame rate, then does it really matter if you're running on 30 fps or 300 fps ? Unless you monitor your fps like every 2 secs ? 

Yes it does matter.  Especially in games that rely on you to do the aiming without any assistance.  If your 300fps drops to 30fps you will notice and it will screw with you.  I notice it falling from 50 to 30.  It is more than enough to cause the cross hair to jump and to miss a shot because of it.  Plus the higher your FPS the higher the refresh rate you can reliably run.  I would hope the 30 is what they are shooting for in medium battle with their minimum spec.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

30fps is performance lag as far as i'm concerned. 

It's nearly unplayable to people from competitive gaming backgrounds. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

well  I figured they go for the Duelist rather than Templar but well... with time other Archetypes will come (though I would welcome Archetypes which introduce new mechanics for example Duelist and digging/burrowing (if they gonna do it) or Assassin with Stealth since new mechanics = iteration process = the sooner you begin the more iterations you get - or so). 

About the performance -  the only thing I can say about that is that it varies by client version and mode. Some client versions have a stable 40 to 50 fps performance in Hunger Dome. Other versions had 20 fps on the lowest resolution in SP and HD while others had good performances in HD but not in SP. 

Having an i7-4790/gtx 760/16 gb ram/ssd with more than enough space/etc. means for me to get a performance right in the middle. Not to shabby but also not good or perfect. Just solid. 

And to me 30 fps is a minimum requirement for me when we have to use active targeting since going below really screws up your aim (in my view)

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

• ACE are working on a more persistent test environment with tests for days rather than hours with more people and "seamless" movement between areas - LOVE it can't wait!!

• Crafting/harvesting/building is coming too - again Can't wait!!!!

• If they can they will improve chat/setting screen/new skills system/team selection improvements/localization tools - fine I can wait for this no problem just gibe me 1 and 2 smile.png

• No dates when they will be ready as they don't want to give us a timeline and then miss it - I actually support them doing this!.

KjUVOZg.png

Well, they could delay the launch, or possibly cut out some features.  If they do the latter, I vote they leave out the Crows and Vessels system.

The delay has already been stated it is the reason behind the soft launch,  the game will not launch in 2016 at all. The soft launch might happen in 2016 (but a lot of features will be buggy/missing) but most likely soft launch wont even happen until early 2017. A soft launch is like a beta to test and iron out features before the official launch.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

The delay has already been stated it is the reason behind the soft launch,  the game will not launch in 2016 at all. The soft launch might happen in 2016 (but a lot of features will be buggy/missing) but most likely soft launch wont even happen until early 2017. A soft launch is like a beta to test and iron out features before the official launch.

I understand that.  However, things have gotten really muddy regarding soft launch (early access), alpha, beta and launch-launch these days.  As I am sure you know, companies sell you an unfinished product with the promise of completion at some later date.  Much like Kickstarter, people are willing to do buy in hopes that they will finally have a decent MMORPG to play (I've done so with CF, GV and EC).  It is risky, because if you turn off enough of your potential player base with an unfinished game, you stir up a bunch of bad reviews and people won't even spend $20 to have a look around. 

I think there probably has to be a minimum of promised features (which ones is a whole other discussion, I suppose) included in CF before soft launch for ACE to avoid backlash.  If possible, they should delay any degree of launch until they have at least these things in.  If ACE has to leave something out for a much, much later date (perhaps never making it in), it seems fair and appropriate they leave out features added after Kickstarter and the support of early backers, which were never part of the original design they sold to those people, e.g., the Crows and Vessels system.        

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus