Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nick

Become the Lore

In the games I have played, there are generally two narratives: The fictional game history, and the history of actual players. Player history tends to be a result of communities that spring up around games and "remember".

One thing I found appealing about the Play2Crush pitch was the concept of a single throne, and its potential to be a major part of the game lore. Not just a sandbox to build and destroy without a point, not just a theme park to follow the storyline. A running narrative that is impacted by the actions of the playerbase, with the ability to shape the world around them and become concerete pieces of the game's history.

That's what I'm hoping for.

It would certainly entice players to participate, hopefully with their best foot forward. Player lore could bring great advantages to the game, the best of the strongest and most dedicated players as well as a complation from the masses' strength to shape the experience for all. Nice concept :)

I treasured all the moments where I was involved in an actual "player story".

My only memory of such was probably in early "Wakfu" (When all coins had to be minted by players and the economy was so puny that most items costed 1 coin in the auction house).  I had good times in the first nation war, Bonta vs Amakna (Playing the role of an imperialist jerk was fun).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Having player lore would be great.  But it should not be the exclusive province of giant guilds.  The solo player should be able to make their mark as well.  The wandering adventurer making an amazing discoveries.  The hermit having a revelation from the gods.  The lone assassin changing the course of history.

Great comments Nick.  I like the idea of the game being interactive on a base level.  Players affect not only one another, but the environment and story.  

Having player lore would be great.  But it should not be the exclusive province of giant guilds.  The solo player should be able to make their mark as well.  The wandering adventurer making an amazing discoveries.  The hermit having a revelation from the gods.  The lone assassin changing the course of history.

I really like this concept in general, but I find it even more interesting from a development perspective. How do you make that singular decision from a huge pool of players? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I really like this concept in general, but I find it even more interesting from a development perspective. How do you make that singular decision from a huge pool of players? Would love to hear your thoughts.

If there were a system to bestow interesting things like that upon individual players, I would hope that it would be random.  Like the pauper that becomes a lord because he's the "chosen one" or something.  It could even just be a unique weapon skin that looks bad ass.  It needs no in-game power other than looking cool, and going into the player created lore of the game world.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Agreed regarding power and randomness, but I still think that leaves a lot of leeway for specific implementation. Even though we know far too little about the game to discuss anything specific, I'd love to hear initial thoughts.

In the games I have played, there are generally two narratives: The fictional game history, and the history of actual players. Player history tends to be a result of communities that spring up around games and "remember".

One thing I found appealing about the Play2Crush pitch was the concept of a single throne, and its potential to be a major part of the game lore. Not just a sandbox to build and destroy without a point, not just a theme park to follow the storyline. A running narrative that is impacted by the actions of the playerbase, with the ability to shape the world around them and become concerete pieces of the game's history.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Totally agree.  Also, can we give the elves, ogres, and dwarves a rest just this once?  I'm so tired of it.  If it's gonna be medieval, let's do something different if possible.  Maybe some kind of parallel world where the medieval world of the past meets technology of the future or something like that.  I dunno, just no elves please.  There has to be something more.

Totally agree.  Also, can we give the elves, ogres, and dwarves a rest just this once?  I'm so tired of it.  If it's gonna be medieval, let's do something different if possible.  Maybe some kind of parallel world where the medieval world of the past meets technology of the future or something like that.  I dunno, just no elves please.  There has to be something more.

No Irekei?

*PKs Acriminal in the face*

A large part of it is likely going to be dumb luck, though hopefully a lot more forgiving than the "RNGesus" that is currently making things so interesting in Destiny right now.  There's certainly room for GM intervention, though.  There's no reason why a GM couldn't throw on an avatar and play a character temporarily to give a player an item that starts an "un-quest" like discovering a lost city, something that isn't defined as a quest, doesn't necessarily give the usual quest rewards, but does advance a narrative strand or open up the world in some significant fashion.  Those players might be tagged in the database as having made that sort of contribution before, so GMs aren't constantly giving new explorations to a select few.

If there was a guild or a specific player that was getting too close to gaining power, and the GMs wanted to throw them a curveball, it wouldn't take much for a GM to find the right sort of character to make an assassination attempt, then go the same temporary character route, giving the chosen player an in-game contract to make the hit.  This, of course, assumes that there won't be "assassin's guilds" springing up in the game precisely for that purpose on their own.

A large part of it is likely going to be dumb luck, though hopefully a lot more forgiving than the "RNGesus" that is currently making things so interesting in Destiny right now.  There's certainly room for GM intervention, though.  There's no reason why a GM couldn't throw on an avatar and play a character temporarily to give a player an item that starts an "un-quest" like discovering a lost city, something that isn't defined as a quest, doesn't necessarily give the usual quest rewards, but does advance a narrative strand or open up the world in some significant fashion.  Those players might be tagged in the database as having made that sort of contribution before, so GMs aren't constantly giving new explorations to a select few.

If there was a guild or a specific player that was getting too close to gaining power, and the GMs wanted to throw them a curveball, it wouldn't take much for a GM to find the right sort of character to make an assassination attempt, then go the same temporary character route, giving the chosen player an in-game contract to make the hit.  This, of course, assumes that there won't be "assassin's guilds" springing up in the game precisely for that purpose on their own.

Shadowbane had that.

FC events. Feature Creature for the non-SBers.

Remember being in a guild city when a Herald showed up, warning us of a demon invasion. Then we fought off waves of these demons and they dropped some pretty crazy gear that you could not get any where else (or after... well, most people couldn't but now I digress).

Events would be awesome if we could get such things in Crowfall.

Shadowbane had that.

FC events. Feature Creature for the non-SBers.

Remember being in a guild city when a Herald showed up, warning us of a demon invasion. Then we fought off waves of these demons and they dropped some pretty crazy gear that you could not get any where else (or after... well, most people couldn't but now I digress).

Events would be awesome if we could get such things in Crowfall.

I read about that, and it was one of the things that made me excited for this game. Sounds amazing.

Edit: Not that specific event. FC events in general.

Edited by nick