Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Man's Sky blowup.

Helix

Even if it included the missing features NMS always was an exploration game with no real gamey features really announced IMO. It always looked like it would just be hopping planet to planet to planet mining resources for your ship and naming things.  Sounds pretty boring to me. 

Although, I am still thinking about picking it up.  If i end up with 6 hours played before being bored to death I got my moneys worth. I mean, I think we will be hard pressed to find a game that comes out in the next while, or ever, that has as much landmass as NMS.  18 quintillion planets, that's fecking impressive.  Who knows. There may only be 15 quintillion planets.  Imagine the uproar when someone finds out. 

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

I never bought in to the hype of this game, but I find the "blow up" quite entertaining.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

After seeing and playing a bit of Star Citizen, nothing else compares. Just hope it comes out before I die now.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Although, I am still thinking about picking it up.  If i end up with 6 hours played before being bored to death I got my moneys worth. I mean, I think we will be hard pressed to find a game that comes out in the next while, or ever, that has as much landmass as NMS.  18 quintillion planets, that's fecking impressive.  Who knows. There may only be 15 quintillion planets.  Imagine the uproar when someone finds out. 

Then you'd better hurry before all of the good planets are taken...

This is all what gaming and the gaming industry is today, one single whole crap of marketing hype and money making. If you expect innovative or interesting games, you only have Crowdfunding, because the game industry really only wants money and not making good games.

Star Citizen and Crowfall are my only hope left.

Its really sad and a shame how the game industry changed to the worst. It was so much better in the 90s. But now its all only about the money, not about the games or the players or the people.

And No Man's Sky isnt even the prime example for this development of the downfall of the gaming industry, there are so many much worse examples.

I think No Man's Sky can become good if they are adding content, and add another focus of multiplayer survival to the game maybe. For sure the game needs a meaningful multiplayer.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I don`t understand how it`s possible to hype such a sci-fi game to that level by IGN and other gaming review websites..

I`ve played it throughout the weekend, and it lack content in almost every areas of game play. It`s like insert /random names on planets & species so u feel like an explorer.. It`s a typical money grab garbage prime example that 60$ which I should give away to a poor woman outside the general store instead.

It explains how little faith players have to gaming companies these days, and with a very good reason.

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

It is weird though.

Why is it that the only game industry that is being innovative is the chinese one.

The chinese game industry is coming up, its young, ambitioned and wants to play and experience.

The western and japanese or korean game industries are open speaking stupid idiots, dominated by finance people only trying to hunt the money, so they are running after every stupid trend that occurs, and thnking that Mobile and VR games are the future of gaming.

The people in these industries dont got the slightest sense about gaming very apparently. The only hope here are crowdfunding projects.

It is very funny and sad that the chinese game industry is the most innovative one these days. Its like the chinese would be technological leading in the game industry within the next 5 years. Dark and Light by Snail Games might only be the first possible big surprise.

Like China would be producing better quality cars or airplanes already. They will come there soon in other industries of course, but not yet. But in the game industry they are already leading now or the next 5 years. Because they arent afraid of risks or being innovative.

So dont get surprised if the next big games are coming from china, because our game industries and societys have become far too full of theirselves and are drifting apart from each other, because nobody cares.

The problem, it seems, is not so much what the NMS is, but what it was declared to be prior to launch.  This is but one more example of a gaming company that essentially made promises it could not keep.  Sadly, this is a normal part of the gaming industry--an industry that is fundamentally dishonest--and has been for some time.  Therefore, I can't see why we are surprised when it happens, though gamers, like all paying customers, have every right to be upset with a product (and should be entitled to a refund) that fails to deliver.  

Crowdfunding may be one of our last hopes, but you are fooling yourself if you think crowdfunded games are immune to this.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Never bought into the hype. Bought the game and am enjoying it for what it is anyway. Could have been better sure if they didn't cut some of that stuff but like said above this isn't exactly something new to the industry.

It's hard not to be jaded when your expectations of an mmo are so high. No Man's Sky is a technological masterpiece. It doesn't even matter if it's fun to play, the dude built a fully functioning procedurally generated game that's bigger than our entire galaxy. Just the idea behind it could lead to breakthroughs in the industry. It wouldn't take much modding to turn the game into a fully functioning 3D minecraft. I for one would play the poorly made socks out of that game.

It's hard not to be jaded when your expectations of an mmo are so high. No Man's Sky is a technological masterpiece. It doesn't even matter if it's fun to play, the dude built a fully functioning procedurally generated game that's bigger than our entire galaxy. Just the idea behind it could lead to breakthroughs in the industry. It wouldn't take much modding to turn the game into a fully functioning 3D minecraft. I for one would play the poorly made socks out of that game.

Sure, for what it is, its good. But they just hyped it 10 times over what its worth in the end, and thats of course backfiring now.

The technological base of the game is really good, but they missed to make the game meaningful or give it any kind of sense. The center of the universe crap is just little asset to give the game any meaning at all.

They could or should have made it a tech demo, but not a game, a game is supposed to be for consumers and its meant to be fun playing. But this thing apparently isnt. They saw potential of hyping together with Sony the crap out of it and sell it for 60 dollar to make a ton of money with this. And this is the result....

Yes, you have to modificate the game to turn it into some thing meaningful, to turn it actually into a game. Something like minecraft or a multiplayer survival game. It would have had potential for that, but what they produced there was just the biggest walking simulator of all times. A big dead, boring world. You would have to add a really great AI to make this game format working.

I think No Man's Sky can become good if they are adding content, and add another focus of multiplayer survival to the game maybe. For sure the game needs a meaningful multiplayer.

No, it does not need multiplayer. It's fine as it is now. A single player game with online sharing.

But they just hyped it 10 times over what its worth in the end, and thats of course backfiring now.

Hello Games didn't hype anything. They even warned us, the players, not to hype too much on the game. It is you, me and the media (aka the gaming community) that hyped it to this level. Blame yourself of expecting too much of a game and that turned out into something else you thought it would be.

I watched a lot of No Man's Sky video and interviews with Sean Murray and I'm not disappointed with the game I got. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

No, it does not need multiplayer. It's fine as it is now. A single player game with online sharing.

Hello Games didn't hype anything. They even warned us, the players, not to hype too much on the game. It is you, me and the media (aka the gaming community) that hyped it to this level. Blame yourself of expecting too much of a game and that turned out into something else you thought it would be.

I watched a lot of No Man's Sky video and interviews with Sean Murray and I'm not disappointed with the game I got. 

Well the game had so much coverage on the media, it was everywhere, even in TV shows unrelated to gaming. And the media would say the same like you about Hello Games, that they didnt hype the game, but Hello games hyped it, in the end its always no one's fault. that would actually be a good alternativ title for No Man's Sky btw, No One's Fault.

I think they are all to blame, the media are nothing else than attention seekers, and a part of the marketing departments of the publishers anyway, streamers and websites or videochannels, they are all the same, dishonest, cheap liars and money grabs. Its all fake.

For a singleplayer only game they would have to add very much content and updates, also they would need to implement a really great AI to make playing it worthwile. But they for sure wont add a really great AI.

So the singleplayer experience will always have big flaws, but without much more content and updates, the pricing for sure isnt right.

The game isnt worth 60 Euro for sure, thats a money grap. The game is described by many people as an early access title, but with a 60 dollar price tag. I dont think the pricing and many things about the game are right, they need to add a large amount of content and updates to the game to make it worth 60 Euro. But they already took back what they said, that future updates and content would be free, despite the 60 euro price and the state of the game, thats really a bit too much...

Edited by Urahara

I am not sure I'd let them off that easy.  The game, as it is, seems fine for what it is (and hype defiantly had a part to play in inflating the expectations).  However, the "multiplayer" thing stands out as problem, largely because of the shady way they've handled it.  I am sure at one point they meant that to be a thing, and it still may be a thing, but that is highly dubious.  If multiplayer isn't a thing, they probably won't say anything until they patch it in (more dishonesty).  

Also, this doesn't include the other things that were part of the design that were left out, either.   

I think players, just in general, are tired of hearing that x,y, z are going to be in a game, only to have those things not be included.  This is going to be a particular problem for crowdfunded games, because those companies get funding off of making claims.  I don't think that, at least in the beginning, game companies are trying to be dishonest, but they should know better lest they end up that way before the game releases by making claims they can't back up (and taking people's money on empty concepts).       

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus