Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harvesting: The life of a mule.

Economies run on the concept of supply and demand. The demand can be direct or indirect based on the product you're trying to sell. Each step along the supply chain adds value. The crafter is selling a finished product and is at the very end of a supply chain. Typically, the more specialized something is, the higher the price is but, the lower the relative demand is. It's this principle that leads crafters to choose their professions carefully and why entire industries exist for manufacturing demand (aka marketing/advertising).

Harvesters exist at the opposite end of the spectrum. Raw resources experience direct and indirect demand. If a crafter needs resources to create a product, they must first find a supplier, this is direct. The demand for resources is controlled by the demand for refined goods. These goods may be crafted items or gold coins or even upkeep on a parcel of land. The indirect demand comes from the demand of the finished goods that the harvesters supply for. It's the harvester's job to predict demand and reduce the amount of cost it takes to meet that demand. This is the concept of return on investment or ROI (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_on_investment). In order to increase ROI, the harvester must pay attention to factors such as, labor (time spent in man-hours). In Crowfall, syatems like caravans can increase labor efficiency (but lower the cost effectiveness) by decreasing the time it takes to transport large amounts of resources. Unfortunately, the more money you spend on efficient systems, the higher risk you take if you lose those systems. This is opportunity cost (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost). In general, harvesters are trying to make money by producing high volumes for low margins. This is why in real life mining operations, machines and explosives do most of the work.

All of these things put together effect the popularity of harvesting. Even though it is mechanically and intellectually the easiest profession, it is the most complex economically and the hardest to profit from. You may think to yourself "sure, it's hard but, at least it's always in demand" and to some extent you'd be right...but, because of the low margins, it's also the most effected by economic fluctuations. The best resource sellers are the ones that manufacture demand by artificially restricting supply. If your operation is big enough, you can control price and unlike the real world counterparts, MMOs rarely have regulations. A famous example of artificially controlled supply is the Diamond industry (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Beers).

After all of this it's still an essential part of the economy and its one of the only parts of Crowfall you can't be successful in on an alternate account (due to time spent). How many of you will choose to take on this difficult task?

Who will be the master of mules?

Can't say I'll be a Master of Mules, but I will be a Master of Protecting the Master of Mules :P

Interesting read; I was mostly planning on selling whatever resources that I didn't need to other players and keep what I wanted, but after reading this... I just might want to jack up the prices in the travertine market >:]

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I don't plan on playing a dedicated harvester, but my combat and exploration toons will train some modest harvesting skills.

And my resources will go to my guild, just like most of the stuff I craft.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

More like a slayer of mule for me :).

I sire am Mr. Jack, and here is the tale of a lazy kind,

Who one day woke up with a sweet idea in his mind.

"Dear God how bothersome it is to dig and harvest,

when one can simply ask peasants to give away their best ?"

A bag on the shoulder, his trusted dagger by the side,

Our duly named Renart left to find fortune and a ride.

A dangerous undertaking you city-dwellers may think,

But very rewarding for the one who knows the tricks.

Oh Fortune, my friends, thrice did our Renart find it :

In a Good Friend, in a clique and eventually a Keep.

And as he, from his castle, bears the name of King Bandit,

Always does he feel the best food is the one others reap.

So neither should you walking purses forget,

That when we gentlemen relieve you of your casket,

You either run fast enough to avoid the arrows,

or lay down, pierced like cheese, to feed the crows.

Edited by KingJack974

More like a slayer of mule for me :). I sire am Mr. Jack, and here is the tale of a lazy kind, Who one day woke up with a sweet idea in his mind. "Dear God how bothersome it is to dig and harvest, when one can simply ask peasants to give away their best ?" A bag on the shoulder, his trusted dagger by the side, Our duly named Renart left to find fortune and a ride. A dangerous undertaking you city-dwellers may think, But very rewarding for the one who knows the tricks. Oh Fortune, my friends, thrice did our Renart find it : In a Good Friend, in a clique and eventually a Keep. And as he, from his castle, bears the name of King Bandit, Always does he feel the best food is the one others reap. So neither should you walking purses forget, That when we gentlemen relieve you of your casket, You either run fast enough to avoid the arrows, or lay down, pierced like cheese, to feed the crows.

And then there are the even lazier ones who lurk in the shadows, with tight leather pants, and wait for the bandit who harvests the hard-working harvesters.

Whoever controls the rarer spawns in the Dregs and lower bands will be King of the Mules.  Dont be surprised if you see more of an Empire of the Mules instead of a King.

This will be espically interesting considering balance changes. Being able to see the change before it arrives, or making preperations for the beginning and end of campaigns.

Edited by baerin