Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raeshlavik

That thing you really like...

Hi there!

In game development as well as the Internet in general, we tend to only see and hear the upset; this isn't working, that's not right, you suck because, why the hell did you do that...

What I'd like to do is start a thread that is just the positive stuff, because everyone here was attracted by something that prompted them to put down some hard earned cash for it.

What was it? And why?

What's the thing ACE is planning to do with Crowfall that keeps you here? What is it in the design doc that makes you say "Hell yes! Finally!"

And keep it positive. I know people are bound to go off on "how things were supposed to be and aren't now and that's curtains for the free world cats and dog living together it's the end times repent now!" - let's avoid that, because there's plenty of that already.

- -=- -

For me it's two things:

1: PvP that actually means something. I can only mindlessly gank people in a static arena for so long before I start to self-harm.

By this I mean that the act of fighting has to have some purpose other than 'that's just what we do in this game because the almighty leader board says we should'. I need a level of realism in the world; where I need to make my own 'cool stuff' and carve out my own spot of turf to put it on, and then other people can take objection to my stuff being on that spot and have the opportunity to wreck it - then we can fight about it with something actually on the line other than a score... 

This has a real effect on the world that isn't just sending people back to the spawn point. And in that, I really appreciate that the lore takes great pains to explain why we get back up again.

So I suppose that I like Crowfall's ideas because there are visceral consequences to fight over. And I've sponsored the game not only for this reason, but because I also feel this is a direction the industry should go in. The 'No Gamer Left Behind" idea precludes any real consequence in a game, because if there is the real chance of loosing something other than meaningless points, not everyone can get a gold star.

I don't even really care if the combat is exceptionally earth-shatteringly amazing, as long as I have a reason to participate in it... I'll make it work.

2: Non standard races. I'm so - so sick of six kinds of human in MMOs; tall, skinny, short, fat, blue - whatever - they're all just odd looking humans. MMO races are all basically cosplayers at a bad renfaire and it makes the world flat and uninteresting.

Crowfall is making actual races that have illustrated departures from 'dude in a costume'... I mean, look at the Myrmidon - holy hell! He moves like a 500 pound hoofed monster, sprints on all fours, paws at the ground when he's getting mad, head shakes, bellows and roars like - well - a huge disgruntled off man-bull.

This is directly opposed to, say, Tauren - who have apparently been sitting there in that spot for a decade now waiting to talk to me. ;)

The Legionnaire is another good example... No MMO these days would even attempt a centaur - it's too much of a departure from a global animation pipeline and common armor set.

The fact Crowfall was showing off two of the old Shadowbane races was what first caught my attention in fact...

So what about you? What's Crowfall's 'thing' that interests you?

The thing that got my attention was world destruction. I backed EQN for that reason too, but we all know how that ship sank.

But Crowfall's archetypes are interesting. It has been a while since there was a game that had non-humaniod races.

Though this will most likey bite ACE in the butt when they try making cosmetic armor :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Crafting that means something.  I take that back, crafting that means *everything.*  Doesn anyone else remember the killing that tailors made on fresh WoW servers making 6 slot bags?  It's going to be that, every day.

No leveling grind- I can play off of skill and not get wasted by someone who's only put in 5x as much time in.

Base building that actually means something.  I love Rust, but it's TTK (as quick as one shot one kill) and time investment can be a little daunting.

Not going to lie, I'm looking forward to flaunting Arcane Weapons and Kickstarter Nightmare mounts two or three years from now.

Cooperation and rivalries that can actually mean something.  

The freshness that the campaign worlds will bring to the game on a regular basis, the possibilities for tweaking rules sets and trying different things, and even the interconnectedness between what we do in the campaign world and what we're able to do in our EKs appeals to me.

2s922vm.png

Inner Sanctum Rep / Elder

Guild vs Guild combat with consequences.  In so many games, the world is static, and the players have no effect on it.  We all follow the same quest trails, do the same raids, and get the same loot.  Our actions as individuals and guilds don't affect the game.    In Crowfall, they will.  So much so that it's the whole point of the game.

Also, I'm enjoying combat where teamwork and player skill are rewarded.  Even in pre-alpha, without any real balancing, good teamwork and good play make a big difference.

1° The CW system (play something new every campaign), 2° Time-based skills (no pexing), 3° PvP and Betrayal (First big reason in fact), 4° EKs (at the time, now I'm not sure I'll really dedicate myself to them), 5° Player-driven economy (Second big reason), 6° Vessels (Don't be limited to 1 character, play all easily). In a nutshell, all the core ideas + vessels

I just like how ACE has the chance to bring gamers from all sorts of genres together with the design decisions they've made in crowfall.  I like this because watching people from different backgrounds collide in a pvp mmo environment sounds fun to me. 

It's going to be great seeing people who thought they were the cat's meow in some other game just get rendered completely powerless in crowfall because of some oversight they had on how the game would play out.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I just like how ACE has the chance to bring gamers from all sorts of genres together with the design decisions they've made in crowfall.  I like this because watching people from different backgrounds collide in a pvp mmo environment sounds fun to me. 

It's going to be great seeing people who thought they were the cat's meow in some other game just get rendered completely powerless in crowfall because of some oversight they had on how the game would play out.

All I want to do is jack fools and burn stuff to the ground.  I'll do it solo or with a bunch of like minded friends.  I dont know about the rest of you, but that is why I am here early.  I like to be able to hit the ground running.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

All I want to do is jack fools and burn stuff to the ground.  I'll do it solo or with a bunch of like minded friends.  I dont know about the rest of you, but that is why I am here early.  I like to be able to hit the ground running.

Yea but it's even more fun to do that if the people you are doing it to think they are the cat's meow.  Do you know what I am saying?

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir