Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discipline Runes? (And Other Character Customization)

lucius

So instead of putting this in general, thought I'd come down here and get right to the source.

Could someone explain the Discipline system in Shadowbane.  What was it?   How many disciplines could you have?  Did you have to level up disciplines?  Does 1 discipline = 1 skill or a set of skills?

Ok some more random character progression questions about SB.

I understand the game had 4 archetypes; fighter, rogue, mage, healer.  So after you pick an archetype, how do you get new abilities?  If I understand right it was a point-buy system, so was it each archetype had specific abilities to choose from?  For example a mage hits level 5 and can put a point into fireball or put a point into frostblast, level 6 he can put a point into those or put a point into invisibility; ie more like abilites being bought.  Or was it ding level 5 and you can put a point into magery, sorcery, or conjuration.  I'm trying to distinguish if it was abilities or skills, where a point in a skill would unlock numerous abilities or if it was closer to WoW in terms of abilities.

Next how many promotion classes were available per archetype?  I know I've seen this answered before earlier today but I'll ask anyways.  It's a good number, like 6 or so?  And some of these professions can overlap with other archetypes.

How does professions work once selected?  Same as the core archetype (regarding skills vs abilities)?  Once a profession is selected, how far along are you in character growth.  I know it's selected at like level 10 or 20, fairly low.  I assume you put a lot more points into your profession class compared to your core class since there is a lot more levels after that choice than prior.

Thanks for the answers already.  If it's not obvious I'm trying to determine what to expect from Crowfall, though I know this will be very much a skill based system without character levels.  Trying to determine what to expect those skills to be and how they will work, especially magery skills where you may have numerous "abilities" falling under a single skill.

Edited by lucius

http://mordkessel.com/morloch/index.php?title=Main_Page

there you go...the Wiki...

take a look, then ask yer Questions....i'll try and help

but no fewkin' way am i gonna lay it all out by typing....poke around and you'll have real Questions, i'm glad to help

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Doc doesn't want to type? Better check that doomsday clock.

The tl;dr version of discs and character progression.

-Create toon with your baseclass healer, fighter, rogue, mage

-Promote to your profession (specialized class) at level 10 & -13k xp

-Find a trainer of your profession and buy stat trains from them using stat points (earned each level)

-You had a finite number of stat points to allocate out (not enough to max out every skill available)

-Disciplines gave you access to additional skills and powers beyond your base class/profession. The same pool of stat points used for your main skills were also used for the discipline powers

Edited by affy

Shadowbane - Aflac 
Advocates of Evil - RIP

Disciplines were sub-classes, essentially. You could choose to diversify your character by taking them and training skills, or you could use those trains to max skills elsewhere.

I had a great detailed post written up for you, but accidently clicked off the browser on this stinking laptop and lost it all. Read the wiki and ask away, and like doc said, I'll also chime in with an answer. :)

Suffice to say, there was enough variety in builds that from beta until they pulled the plug (and also some time in the emulator), I never played any profession other than scout - and never built the same scout twice.

CF_Van.png

That wiki sucks ass.

That said, I only have one question now.

How many disciplines could you have at once and are they changeable somehow?

Discipline's were gained by a rune you applied to your character. These runes were dropped by special mobs in various zones once every hour.

You could apply your first rune at level 20, and your last (4th) rune at I think level 70. There was a little message that popped up whenever you tried to apply a rune. It said something like "this choice can not be undone".

You may find this helpful

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Angelmar%27s_Comprehensive_Newb_Guide_V2

Shadowbane - Aflac 
Advocates of Evil - RIP

That wiki sucks ass.

That said, I only have one question now.

How many disciplines could you have at once and are they changeable somehow?

It is really written for some who has a base understanding unfortunately. Several runes had weaker versions of other classes skills. For instance, black mask gave you a weaker version of backstab with thieves and Assassins both had. 

Some discs were almost considered required(for more solo style toons at least) because they gave you the ability to track other players.

Like affy said, you could have 3 discs after level 20. You unlocked your 4th at level 70. Obviously that isn't a very useful thing for this since CF isn't going to have traditional levels.

You were able to remove them later on in the game's life using an item that cost a decent amount of gold. That would have been after the time of the current devs for crowfall.

C4sIZDW.gif

One last question. Does skills in SB do anything? If I raise Restoration, I know it will unlock various spells as I increase it, but does it do anything else?

For example, at 25 Restoration I have access to "Heal" (generic example.) If I have 70 points in restoration will "Heal" be better than someone that only has the minimum 25 points to get that ability?

Skills like restoration are like a mastery of sorts. Every class and profession have them. You need restoration to unlock the healing powers and those powers are modified based on your mastery level is: an identically trained basic heal is more powerful at 50 restoration than it is at 25. The same is true for mages and their nukes and melee characters with whatever weapon they choose

Shadowbane - Aflac 
Advocates of Evil - RIP

Something else of note with skills is that they not only modified the strength of the spell but for offensive spells, it modified the attack rating controlling whether the ability hit or not.

Skills on armor types would increase your defense with that type of item which controlled the chance that someone would hit you. Physical resistances were tied directly to the armor and were not modified by the armor skills.

C4sIZDW.gif

Alright, all of this translates well into what Crowfall is doing.

My guess with CF is we will have a skill cap like UO, which was 700. We will mix and match skills from our chosen archetype, promotion class, and disciplines to hit that cap. We won't unlock skills at certain levels but have them available up front.

I'm wondering if we will have a cap and a separate cap for disciplines or raise/lower system like UO.

I'm pretty excited about character building and all this info meshes well with what I was hoping for, including no character levels. I can definitely understand how the SB system can translate into a level-less system. Thanks for the help!

Yeah. It is looking like it will be something like that. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

The only real negative about discs back in SB is that there were some that were just never used. There were tons of options and most were used but some just never got any love and were kind of a joke.

C4sIZDW.gif

if i am thinking correctly...everything you can spend Points on will come from the total pool available to Characters...

no multiple currencies, just one universal pile of points that get spent on everything....

this gives the Player both maximum control and maximum Responsibility.....as well as migraines, shattered teeth and divorces....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

if i am thinking correctly...everything you can spend Points on will come from the total pool available to Characters...

no multiple currencies, just one universal pile of points that get spent on everything....

this gives the Player both maximum control and maximum Responsibility.....as well as migraines, shattered teeth and divorces....

I agree except the thing with disciplines, if more get added later or many are not available until "endgame", you have to gimp yourself until you get that last puzzle piece to your skill set.

This means either respecs or the up/down system from UO. Rerolling because the devs add a cool new discipline skill is pretty antiquated concept, imho.

Well, if the game works like SB did in terms of sieges, having spec groups is really important. I hope it remains that way but it is also what makes me really concerned about the passive skilling system.

If it takes too long to have another character/multiple characters be ready for pvp, that could really suck.

I'm not saying it needs to be like SB where you could have a character fully functional in a day though. I do really like having a tool for every situation though. Couple phases of SBemu ago I had something like 45-50 fully ready characters to use.

C4sIZDW.gif

I can't see that number of characters even being allowed. That's staggering! O.O

You are the definition of altoholic.

Well, it is mostly because we were allowed an unlimited number of accounts so I could actually level up 6 characters are once if I was feeling up to it.

SB isn't exactly a resource hog these days so you can run several clients at once. The real max on an account is 7 characters(or is it 8?).

A big part of SB wasn't just the game play itself but the prep for it as well. If I already had a character/characters for every situation, I was ready to go for most things.

I also would play multiple characters at once during banes. I generally ran at least 2 assassins if not three.

C4sIZDW.gif

I can't see that number of characters even being allowed. That's staggering! O.O

Buff bots:

priest

necromancer

wizard

confessor

Mines:

pet wizard

pet/burner necromancer

burner doomsayer

vampire scout (summon)

prospector

bash bot

Sieges:

pet necro

basher(s)

sapper

saboteur

macro bard

meat

aoe'r

macro priest

city camping:

scout

wizard

templar

huntress

leveling:

macro lock

macro druid

macro sentinel

pet wizard

pet huntress

loot bot

commander bot

support:

bard

priest

crusader

scout

dps:

warlock

channeler

prelate

templar (maybe)

necromancer

meat (barb/warrior)

assassin (support imo)

crusader

I can't even list them all. That was a less than 2 minute thought process. So many more.

Actually, building massive amounts of characters in SB was necessary. I have a 5 subject notebook of just Channeller templates. I have over 100 spec groups and spec ideas in files. To get one warrior template right I rerolled that character 15 times, and that was just one type or warrior. I would typically run 5 accounts at one time. Players in SB would actually level an entire character just for 1 buff they posses. Shadowbane was a totally different animal than any other game...ever!

Edited by CMurder
cmurder%20sig_zpsaq2rwphh.jpg

Yeah you people are fanatics.  In UO I had 3 accounts...but that was because they only allowed 1 character per account! (Siege Perilous)  I had a PVP, PVE, and crafter.  I honestly cannot comprehend why a single player would need so many different builds available to them at the same time, but to each their own!

Headlight, is that a list of your characters or just a list of builds in general?