Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kraahk

Stronghold Comparison and Overview

Without the forests, mountains, lakes, rivers, plains etc (the space between settlements) some EKs will feel crowded. 

The cells are considerably larger than the structures themselves, so there should be enough land between them for it not to feel too crowded. I walked around the BW for a while using the single keep as my reference point and it took a good while to walk from the keep to one of the edges of the map. There is probably room for 5 or 6 keeps in that space without them feeling crowded at all. I do think 11 kingdoms in parcel size is probably accurate but that is fine considering not every guild should have their own large kingdom. Some guilds will swear fealty to other guilds in order to build on their land, and on down the vassal tree it will go. That is assuming you are allowed to place multiple structures on each town or city parcel.

Edited by Mytherceria

The cells are considerably larger than the structures themselves, so there should be enough land between them for it not to feel too crowded. I walked around the BW for a while using the single keep as my reference point and it took a good while to walk from the keep to one of the edges of the map.

Yeah that's the real test of it...the walking around part. And this is our first real taste of what that feels like. I guess I'm just not satisfied till we at least have the option for grander spaces to work with lol

Yeah that's the real test of it...the walking around part. And this is our first real taste of what that feels like. I guess I'm just not satisfied till we at least have the option for grander spaces to work with lol

I still want to ride my nightmare around ... spreading wildfires ... and trampling innocent crafters (less possible enemys for me haha!).

... Dreams ....  soon right ... soon.

Well if you take a look at the map that was made that is only 11 stongholds. So lets each one one a single guild/group which isn't too bad in itself but then the EK is just a giant neighborhood rather than a sprawling kingdom. After hearing how Todd first explained it and how the FAQ continued it this feels small to me.

FAQ: 

"The monarch (let’s call him Robert) could designate a region of roughly 10 supercells at the top of his kingdom map and label it “The North”.  He could then grant this area to a friend (we’ll call him Ned).

Ned could drop a castle parcel (which he names “Winterfell”) and subdivides the rest of “The North” into smaller provinces, such as “Wolfswood” and “The Barrowlands” and “The Lonely Hills”.  He can then grant management of these provinces to other players. Those players could place stronghold parcels (naming them things like “Deepwood Motte,” “Barrowton” and “Dreadfort”) and then carve THOSE up into boroughs and tracts that they grant to other players (their bannermen) to place buildings."

When we look at this example it give us a sense of grandeur! Granted not all of this nor many really will do this or even strive for this but these are supposed to be freaking KINGDOMS not "my little neck of the woods." Hell I'd love to have a forest called that lol But it doesn't look like I'll much room for a forest :(  

Without the forests, mountains, lakes, rivers, plains etc (the space between settlements) some EKs will feel crowded. 

Hi there I have to ask about returning stuff in your pledge for store credit and consolidating into a bigger mountain citadel. If I have a kickstarter Ruby pledge, can I melt down the 2x City Parcels and 1x Medium Castle and 1xSmall castle and the 20X farmland parcels and then buy a Mountain Citadel pack from the store? Please it would be so nice if someone could make a calculation with actual store prices now and see if it adds up and copy paste here (I have so much trouble looking through the store since everything displays in my local currency and + 25% VAT making it confusing.) Thanks alot.

can I melt down the 2x City Parcels and 1x Medium Castle and 1xSmall castle and the 20X farmland parcels and then buy a Mountain Citadel pack from the store?

I am pretty sure that you won't be able to do so. For very simple reasons.

The old stronghold bundles (before the changes --- and that include all strongholds from backer bundles before the 2017 packages) will surely only be redeemable in exchange of their old prices. If at all! So you would get 250+500=750 USD-credits for your small and medium castle bundle - and that only IF ACE would allow at some time to redeem them again. They might very well not do so, exactely because of this problem.

A mountain citadel is 5.000 USD now. So it won't work (by the way, it even wouldn't be enough, if you were able to redeem them for the new prices).

They just can't give us some thousand dollars in exchange for things we were able to buy for some hundreds. At least not as long they don't develop a money printing machine.

Everyone who got one of the old stronghold bundles can be extraordinarily happy with their deal. They already got a huge added value. So, no reason to be sad about it. :)

I am pretty sure that you won't be able to do so. For very simple reasons.

The old stronghold bundles (before the changes --- and that include all strongholds from backer bundles before the 2017 packages) will surely only be redeemable in exchange of their old prices. If at all! So you would get 250+500=750 USD-credits for your small and medium castle bundle - and that only IF ACE would allow at some time to redeem them again. They might very well not do so, exactely because of this problem.

A mountain citadel is 5.000 USD now. So it won't work (by the way, it even wouldn't be enough, if you were able to redeem them for the new prices).

They just can't give us some thousand dollars in exchange for things we were able to buy for some hundreds. At least not as long they don't develop a money printing machine.

Everyone who got one of the old stronghold bundles can be extraordinarily happy with their deal. They already got a huge added value. So, no reason to be sad about it. :)

Thanks alot for the help :) I was contemplating buying a kickstarter pledge from the trusted traders, but I guess if I want the mountain citadel the only way to get that is to wait until that pops up in the store. So the Original Small castle bundle was 250 , Medium castle 500, and mountain citadel 1000$? (Have gotten cinflicting info on this :) ) Thanks again. There is a sapphire 2015 pledge with Small castle + Large fort for 500$ and a 250$ premium priced 1250$ kickstarter Ruby bundle up for sale atm, but none of these would give me a chance for a mountain citadel then I see, thanks!

Edited by Gustav.Henrik

So the Original Small castle bundle was 250 , Medium castle 500, and mountain citadel 1000$? (Have gotten cinflicting info on this :) )

The concept price of the citadel was 1.800$. But it was a concept price, at times where nobody could know what the final product would contain. Originally it was part of the 5.000$ Diamond pledge.

A general reminder to all who think about (buying/building/maintaining) big castles, citadels and palaces.

• All of these strongholds and parcels can also be built ingame with ingame resources. You don't have to by them.
  • A stronghold alone is of no practical use. You can't take them with you into the campaign worlds. And you will need to place buildings, like shops and forges, there to gain practical use.
  • Buildings you place in a stronghold will have maintenance costs. The bigger the stronghold, the higher the maintenance. If you use all the slots a citadel have, you will likely have maintenance costs that are proportional to the number of players/shops such a stronghold supports. In case of a citadel this is at least 120. It's unlikely that a single person can afford maintenance costs that have been calculated to be carried by 120 players. 
  • If you use less slots than available for a specific stronghold, it might be better to choose a smaller one.
  • Be prepared to need the number of players a stronghold supports, to acquire and maintain them. A list of the starting numbers of supported players/shops per stronghold type you can see here.

Capitol strongholds like the citadel are something for really large groups to acquire and maintain. They look nice, they are huge, they are mindblowing. A cruise liner or an aircraft carrier are nice, too. But if you just want to go fishing, they might be a bit over the line.

Please keep in mind what you want to do with such strongholds and try to stay realistic. Aesthetics and size are not everything - except you don't have to care about their prices.

That said, we could claim that Crowfall is a very realistic game. So better choose wisely, understand what you really need, what you are willing to do for it and meet appropriate decisions. ;)

Edited by Kraahk

The concept price of the citadel was 1.800$. But it was a concept price, at times where nobody could know what the final product would contain. Originally it was part of the 5.000$ Diamond pledge.

A general reminder to all who think about (buying/building/maintaining) big castles, citadels and palaces.

• All of these strongholds and parcels can also be built ingame with ingame resources. You don't have to by them.
  • A stronghold alone is of no practical use. You can't take them with you into the campaign worlds. And you will need to place buildings, like shops and forges, there to gain practical use.
  • Buildings you place in a stronghold will have maintenance costs. The bigger the stronghold, the higher the maintenance. If you use all the slots a citadel have, you will likely have maintenance costs that are proportional to the number of players/shops such a stronghold supports. In case of a citadel this is at least 120. It's unlikely that a single person can afford maintenance costs that have been calculated to be carried by 120 players. 
  • If you use less slots than available for a specific stronghold, it might be better to choose a smaller one.
  • Be prepared to need the number of players a stronghold supports, to acquire and maintain them. A list of the starting numbers of supported players/shops per stronghold type you can see here.

Capitol strongholds like the citadel are something for really large groups to acquire and maintain. They look nice, they are huge, they are mindblowing. A cruise liner or an aircraft carrier are nice, too. But if you just want to go fishing, they might be a bit over the line.

Please keep in mind what you want to do with such strongholds and try to stay realistic. Aesthetics and size are not everything - except you don't have to care about their prices.

That said, we could claim that Crowfall is a very realistic game. So better choose wisely, understand what you really need, what you are willing to do for it and meet appropriate decisions. ;)

Awsome information, basically just want the mountain citadel because of the looks and coolness factor, would only place minimum amount of stuff in their and use it as a player house. And like your linked info says, it will be impossible to get the mountain citadel ingame unless you have the farming capacity of 120 players = I have to buy it pre-launch. So going to sit around then until someone decides to sell their mountain stronghold bundle via the trusted trader program for a reasonable markup just like the 25% markup on the Ruby kickstarter pledge, no problem whatsoever to pay a fair markup to someone nice enough to sell their pledges but ain't going to pay the new 5000$ price :) But I think I will pickup that 2015 sapphire bundle if nothing else appears in the coming 2 months :)

Awsome information, basically just want the mountain citadel because of the looks and coolness factor,    [...]  So going to sit around then until someone decides to sell their mountain stronghold bundle via the trusted trader program for a reasonable markup [...]

Yeah, i totally understand. Because the citadel IS JUST HOT! Damned! xD

I really can understand why people want to have such a stronghold.  And i don't want to tell people they shouldn't buy citadels if they want to have one. For gods sake (and ACE's wellfare) - buy them. :)

But i think that people underestimate the scopes. And i think that the possibilities, provided by this game, can invite us for daydreaming much too easily. Seeing your forum name i assume that you are european, just like me. So you grew up with castles. How the hell should you be able not to want your own??!!!11elevendred xD

I think it would be negligent not to make aware of several contexts, connected with large strongholds. Some of them i mentioned above. Some will follow now. It is all about being well informed before making decision.

The scope

Province parcels are huge. And when i say huge, i mean HUGE! ... In some cases just too huge ...

The general range of vision in game is about 2 cells (~500 meter). The big white voide is the scope of one single cell in game.

4P9K1hG.jpg

Now let's take a look at the citadel parcel (province mountain_a rank 2). I marked the cells with red lines. And the diagonal distance between one cell to another with a yellow line, just like in the picture above.

Wn9l3pM.jpg

So depending on where you are on your one single citadel parcel, you might not be able to even see the edge of the mountain. You will have to run several minutes until you even reach the highest plateau.

Now let's take a look at a greybox concept for the large castle. I added a small picture from another large castle picture that shows the sizes (yellow frame).

XmI1zxo.jpg

Now, i would call THIS a huge mountain citadel. And one i don't have to spend 5k $ for. And one i don't have to run some kilometers to reach the top. But nevertheless huge and impressive. And by the way, it also supports 120 players/shops. And with one small and one medium castle at hand, you are not too far away from a such a so-alled large castle. Even if you try to get the rest you need ingame.

Just some thoughts.

Strongholds by trusted traders

I already wrote this somewhere else, but so what: The old stronghold bundles are unlikely to be sold by trusted traders (to say: it won't happen).

Why?

Trusted traders are only allowed to buy and sell items that have been retired from the crowfall shop. The old stronghold bundles have been transformed into their components. There is no such thing like a stronghold bundle anymore. You may buy a bundle from the shop. But you will get components. And as long as those components are still in the shop, they won't be traded by the trusted traders. The parcels and the walls are still in the shop. The only things that have been retired are the thronerooms. What do you want to do with a standalone citadel throneroom - you'll probably need the according parcel to put it onto it.

And - any trade with anyone else but a trusted trader is illegal and might get your account penalized (even deleted). Willing to pay some thousand bucks to possibly get your account thrown away afterwards? I wouldn't suggest to try it. But - everybody has to decide for his own. I am just saying.

Sorry if i sound pessimistic, i just want to give you all informations.

tl;dr

To any single player i suggest to stop dreaming beyond large castles. If you already have a small or medium castle because of your pledge level, then you are lucky. You should be able to upgrade to a large castle in game later without too much (but quite a bit of) effort.

Additionally there will be enough possibilities to participate in the fealty tree of kingdoms ingame. Maybe even to raise up as the ruler of something like a citadel in a community kingdom. Again, this will need effort. Just like it would need effort to build a citadel ingame. Or like it would need effort to raise the money to buy such a stronghold. Nothing is for free. We just have to decide in which category we want to invest our time.