Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Diversifying Fortifications and Siege Weapons

So here's a thought I'd been having: Weapons and Armor and Ammunition can all be crafted to inherit certain traits of their materials, such as Crushing Arrows or Electric Swords. My thought is why limit it to equipables? Why not create walls from magic-resistant stone? Or metal walls which drained mana within 20 meters? Gates which had thorns that damaged melee attackers, and magic barriers which reflected physical projectiles?

Then Siege engines which countered them, battering rams which can be made with specific materials to counter the qualities of the gate? We have something of this nature with ballistas, different types with different purposes. My thought is expand this to other siege engines, such as creating extra fire-resistant siege towers made from a special wood source you had to scout for so that you could endure the fire ballistas and Confessor focus-fire.

Any thoughts from my fellow Architects? Engineers of War?

It sounds really nice. Customization whether for character, weapons, armor, buildings or whatever will always be awesome. (I can imagine breakable Castle walls turning into live Golems as an upgrade.) Lol, suddenly Fortifications have skill trees! 

It'll be a fun upgrade in the future. (ACE probably already has this on their future to-do-list.)

Upgrading a Fortification high enough to turn into a Flying Fortress~

However, I'd rather them finish and polish the base game first before anything else. It is a bit fun to speculate though about possible Fortification/Siege customization.

I am simply looking forward to more simple but useful fortification buffs like increased ranged, better defense, increased healing, more damage, and etc. for defenders on Fortifications. I hate that feeling when your on a defensive structure and can't attack down at reasonable distance, it makes you to want to fight on the at the attack side level.

Why not keep the current wall system (which must be tiered), but add the possibility to enchant these walls (against anything you want). You would not be able to enchant against everything however (so you would have to chose wisely, one wall could be against frost, the other against fire), which would give a rock-paper-scisors situation to it, more tactic options, while giving scouting skills a really useful interest.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an entire skill tree dedicated to fortification enchanting, especially for high tier structures. Though with the material mixing that can already be done those alloys will probably have some of those effects inherently, like resistance to magic or siege engines etc.

a skill tree fortification enchanting that's involved with building seems over complicated.

It would be easier and simpler to make a crafting system/tree to make items that buffs walls and/or other structures, like a flag, totem ,shrine, "X" crafted item that when placed it buffs/debuff within aoe, crafted items also may destroyed. And/or give structures slots and you can slot crafted items to buff/debuff.

by making fortification enchanting work outside of being incorporated into wall/structures building it simplifies making a fortification enchanting tree instead of trying to mesh structure crafting which would lead into like 15 versions of 1 structure culturing up crafting and buying UI's

This thread is full of purely awesome ideas. :)

Enhancing tiered walls with defensive skill-tree enhancements is a great idea, IMO. This provides another avenue of 'crafting' that can allow your crafters to not only build for defensive PvP (helping them feel needed in the battle scenarios) - but also allows them to be required to repair / replace said enhancements when needed.

There aren't many games on the horizon that encourages cooperation between the PvPers and the crafters and I think making them reliant upon each other for success is a smashing concept!

Had an idea:

With the idea of Arcane Knowledge, meaning skills that you can earn via certain items, perhaps crafter's Arcane Knowledge items can gift the crafter with the ability to enchant their items, for instance a architect and a blacksmith can both learn how to enchant "thorns", but an architect would apply it to walls while a blacksmith can put it on armor and shields.