Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Palido

Don't be mad at me but...

Normally, I would be against race/gender lock, and this has been the case for many of the mmos I've played. Crowfall is an exception to my list...

Removing gender lock would be a change I would support, but I do not support multi-raced options. My logic behind this is related to the large-scale sandbox features and customization options for each archetype. In many themepark mmos, you have a very small pool of classes with limited customization on stats, abilities, and equipment. It is easy, even with no gender/race lock, to determine what your fighting. Crowfall, however has a plethra of stats, abilities, equipment and other powers that can be changed on a class. It also focuses on PvP content, not PvE. With all of the options CF gives you, it is very important that the animations and silhouettes immediately reveal the enemy and ally you are encountering. The message of what class, armor, and potential abilities should be telegraphed to the player quickly to support combat decisions. Adding genders would not disrupt this much, but unlocking races would. When you engage a group of players, you need to know at a distance what you are encountering, or at least as much as possible. There would be very little details, perhaps only a weapon, to help a player decipher their opponents. In larger scale PvP, a change like this would disrupt combat response and strategy.

these are just my opinions, based on my experience in MMOs. 

I would have no idea what a soldier in RL is capable of, only that he/she has certain gear/weapons.  Who knows if that person knows hand to hand, or is really weak.

While I agree that identification is needed, I am not satisfied with just saying we can't open up more racial/archetype combinations.  If anything put an orb over each archetypes head that allows us to quickly discern what they are.  I don't have any answers at this point that would be viable, but I certainly think it's a topic that could be discussed further.

While I hate this idea, because it further entrenches us into armor locked to archetypes, the biggest way to discern between archetypes if racial variety was allowed, is to simply look at the archetypes armor.  If we weren't locked into specific armor for each archetype, then I'm not sure what the biggest visual cue could be in discerning the type of characters you will be fighting.

I know that I loved picking a race first and then picking the archetype in Shadowbane.  The racial differences were fun to play.

lUvvzPy.png

Hmmm... I dunno, seems like some of the abilities for the Myrmidon are based on his Minotaurness.  Archetypes have the unique plus of allowing for racial abilities that actually matter.  In race/class based systems you just get whatever race is deemed most powerful by the masses. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I know that I loved picking a race first and then picking the archetype in Shadowbane.  The racial differences were fun to play.

Shadowbane had lots of racial and gender locks. Warlocks could only be male (Human or Shade) and Furies could only be female.

I prefer games with such limitation since it requires thinking about what your going to make and what runes and disciplines you plan to add. I believe it was already stated that Myrmidon are always male (just check out the lore for them, the first was made, not born) as well as the ForgeMasters being all male (actually made of stone and born from the earth itself so no need for females).

Tying some races to specific archetypes is a good thing. Otherwise, like in DarkFall, the preferred fighter's are almost always human or elf females due to smaller hit boxes and all stats max out the same regardless race or sex.

Edited by Dakyn

I rather like games that allow you to be surprised by what you're fighting.

If you get into a fight at a bar with some loudmouth, alot of times, you have no idea what his fighting ability is. He could be all mouth, or a MMA fighter. Its not known until the first punch is thrown. From there, you find out if you made some poor life decisions, or how you need to react for the rest of the fight.

When you're coming up on a group in a game, and know exactly who and how to hit them, it seems a bit easy and the PvP becomes more automatic from the get go. Much better when leaders have to actually make decisions and shot call, as opposed to just following the same pre-planned hit every single time, against every group you face. That would be no better than grinding gear in WoW.