Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Weapons Do you Want To See?

ChosenofCastle

There was a high variety of weapons used in the past. I think we can easily avoid ending up with tons of swords that are actually same. Weapons should be different and unique in my opinion. But even if they are played similarly, it will be better to have some variety.

What weapons should be in the Crowfall and which sorts of them? (Sword -> Sabre, Claymore etc.)

What should be their rarity (material requirement) and their difference to other weapons?

What siege / bastion engines should be implemented and how should they work in the comparation to already existing one? (Hwatcha, Polybolos)

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

Tonfas, Cestuses, Bo Staffs, Chakrams. I'd love to see these in CF. They wouldn't easy to craft, but not neccessarily hard either. They'd be crafted out of a type of hard wood and/or a type of metal.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Relative to diversity it seems on my part I assumed the suite of personal weapon choices would be fine.

I have more interest in Siege weaponry and how extensive/diverse that is.  I played GW2 for a while and I enjoyed manning some of the siege weapons.  I had some good times with the "scatter-shot" arrow launcher (forget the name).  Launched a hail-storm of arrows for an AOE landing.

One of my favorite memories was being targeted by two Trebuchets . . . way . . . the freak . . out there.  Heh-heh.  I remember manning a corner area of a battlement and was causing all kinds of grief down below for a bit, when suddenly I near get creamed by something.  Then another something.  I'm looking around and I can't figure out what's doing it until I actually pay attention to the outline of two trebs at what had to be near max range, throwing arms rotating, and two more incoming.

I played cat and mouse back and forth along the battlement wall with those two guys way out there for a while, me still trying to mess with those below, the two trebs attempting to skeet shoot me off the wall.

It was fun.

(a sneaky "assassin" strolled in and stuck a shiv in my kidneys eventually.  Heh-heh)

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

This is getting out of hand real quick..

True. There were two constructive replies only. I don't feel amused after reading that post with chainsaw...

Not so fast!

Specific to the idea of a catlauncher, I present to you one of the best, most original and really satisfying-to-shoot weapons ever invented in a videogame:

oddworld_stranger.jpg

Crowfall is a fantasy game that already features flintlock-slinging rodents. We're allowed to be a little loony :)

Imagine if I had said "I wanna be a guineapig and shoot stuff with pistols" prior to anyone knowing about the duelist archetype :P

The devs oppbviously have a mad sense of humour :P What's to stop them adding a steampunk chainsaw weilding badger? or critter ammo for the ranger ala Oddworld: Strangers wrath?

What about beehive boobytraps? Dragon turrets and gunpowder rocket launchers?

It's really about imagination and the desire to push envelopes.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Not so fast!

Specific to the idea of a catlauncher, I present to you one of the best, most original and really satisfying-to-shoot weapons ever invented in a videogame:

oddworld_stranger.jpg

Crowfall is a fantasy game that already features flintlock-slinging rodents. We're allowed to be a little loony :)

Imagine if I had said "I wanna be a guineapig and shoot stuff with pistols" prior to anyone knowing about the duelist archetype :P

The devs oppbviously have a mad sense of humour :P What's to stop them adding a steampunk chainsaw weilding badger? or critter ammo for the ranger ala Oddworld: Strangers wrath?

What about beehive boobytraps? Dragon turrets and gunpowder rocket launchers?

It's really about imagination and the desire to push envelopes.

There is fine line between craziness and suggestion. I know there were some goblin catapults in the Warhammer or so, but isn't it quite far from what Crowfall is?

From my own perspective, I favor a system in which various types of weapons exist for a reason.

Its always dangerous trying to extrapolate from reality into a video game, however, if you look at the real world, there was a real evolutionary tension between weapons and armor.  If a weapon existed and was in widespread use at a given point in time, there was a reason for it.

Perhaps it was cheap to make

Perhaps a weapon was a good counter to the armor that was cheap to make

Perhaps there were laws restricting people from using anything better

Case in point: swords, sabres, claymores

Sabres and the like are, for the most part, cavalry weapons which are designed to be used with a draw cut.  You and your horse go rushing by someone, you hold the sabre out, you/the horse pull the curve of the sabre through poor sap that you are running down.

Claymores (and other two handed swords).  These weapons are used for two purposes  1.  Cutting the heads off enemy spears  2.  "Fencing" with spears and pikes.  Sure, you could go and swing them like a baseball bat, but this sure didn't happen that much

As a rule, as armor improved "swords" became less and less important over time, either falling into specialized roles or being superseded by poleaxes, maces, hammers, and the like...

Simply put, if some weapon can't be justified either for 

1.  Unique game play

2.  Convincing economic reason

3.  Some meta rock/papers/scissors game

I'd just as soon see the devs focus on something else

Edited by narsille

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

From my own perspective, I favor a system in which various types of weapons exist for a reason.

Its always dangerous trying to extrapolate from reality into a video game, however, if you look at the real world, there was a real evolutionary tension between weapons and armor.  If a weapon existed and was in widespread use at a given point in time, there was a reason for it.

Perhaps it was cheap to make

Perhaps a weapon was a good counter to the armor that was cheap to make

Perhaps there were laws restricting people from using anything better

Case in point: swords, sabres, claymores

Sabres and the like are, for the most part, cavalry weapons which are designed to be used with a draw cut.  You and your horse go rushing by someone, you hold the sabre out, you/the horse pull the curve of the sabre through poor sap that you are running down.

Claymores (and other two handed swords).  These weapons are used for two purposes  1.  Cutting the heads off enemy spears  2.  "Fencing" with spears and pikes.  Sure, you could go and swing them like a baseball bat, but this sure didn't happen that much

As a rule, as armor improved "swords" became less and less important over time, either falling into specialized roles or being superseded by poleaxes, maces, hammers, and the like...

Simply put, if some weapon can't be justified either for 

1.  Unique game play

2.  Convincing economic reason

3.  Some meta rock/papers/scissors game

I'd just as soon see the devs focus on something else

Reasonable people conform to the world

Unreasonable people expect the world to conform to them.

Thus all progress is driven by unreasonable people.

I really hope the devs are unreasonable people :)

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Swords, axes, daggers, hammers,maces, spears, shields, flame staff, frost staff, electric staff, healing staffs, bows, cross bows, looks like the duelist will have a pistol. A huge variety would be nice.

I guess these are sure that we will get in some form (except electric staff, I am not sure who would be an electrician - archetype).

My own idea is for example Hoplite Shield for knight. This one will give only minor defense to people behind you, but major to people staying next to you.

Pikes to be an ultimate weapon for defensing closed areas (corridors, gates). Also unique for Crowfall, many games avoid Pikes.

Greek Polybolos or Scorpion to be a sieging weapon used against defenders / attackers, but faster and more manueverable, faster and more people fighting than wall breaching.

Or that long huge axe used by Russian Army in 13th century or later as ultimate armor slicer.

My only suggestion for mages are spell shields, that will partly protect mages against magical or any damage.

I'd love to see a great variety in siege weapons- enough variety so the builders or teams much choose the siege weapons appropriate for the encounter. I love the idea of the existing or planned siege weapons (Catapults, Ballistas, Towers, Trebuchets?) but would love to see excavatable/buildable trenches, oil drop spots (think like the Ballista spots), perhaps even traps (sapper discipline?? - Throwback to Kingdom Under Fire). 

:D!

Great post!

Of the Hawk People

Shields... >.>

Spears...

It's funny how many ridiculous weapons get carted out in video games while the most effective and legitimate ones get ignored.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P