Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Impressions of the Myrmidon

Kith

"Bull in a china shop" is right, and I love it.

The first thing that jumped out at me was how spastic the Myrm feels.  The forward movement on its attacks is substantial.  The re-aiming during animation helps lots with root motion, and it lends itself well to the flavor of the bull.  Getting lost in the heat of battle or ever panicking means missing a Berserk Crash, and as a player you absolutely need to keep a level and cool head, in direct odds with the fast, twitchy, raging feel of the character.

The sticky charge is delightful.  Having played a knight and getting body blocked from charging to a different position the change is amazing, no more failed charges due to enemy positioning.  I still managed to fail some charges due to allied positioning, but that's on me.  As an aside, I think the knight's mass needs to be substantially increased during the charge, by a factor of 5 to 10.

Using Pulverize to negate Berserk Crash means that it rarely gets used to deal damage, despite its high (relative to the Myrmidon) damage output.  Being able to time a Colossus Smash to pull off a fully charged Pulverize hit while also timing it to negate Crash damage feels amazing; I only managed that two or three times during the play test on 9/2.

The Bloodied Swipe combo tree is pretty essential, and I used it a lot, maybe too much.  The Fury regen buff from Gore kept me from having to worry about Fury management unless using Whirlwind (more on that later), and Colossus Smash is good CC with a stun long enough to pull off a highly charged Pulverize for max damage, or to force another Myrm to Crash.

Arcing Slash seemed ok, but it leads to Spin to Win.  Whirlwind is a great AoE attack, mostly for its bleed stacks which won't suffer from damage splitting, but absolutely suffer from having too many Myrms on a target, since the bleeds only stack to 3.  It's a good reminder that group diversity is a key to success, as awesome as it was to have herds of stampeding minotaurs last night during the test.

Cast Net is either difficult to use, or broken.  I never got any successful net pulls, and I quickly stopped using it.  There are other means of covering ground that are much better, and I never felt that I needed the immobilize.  I would hardly miss this if it were removed entirely.

Berserk is the meat of the mino.  It has a 5 second down time, and can be activated pretty much whenever, including when knocked down.  Suppress and falling is the only thing that will keep a Myrm from Berserking.  I never managed to take enough damage from a Crash to kill myself, but I did take enough to put me at risk, and occasionally would get focused down afterwards.  BERSERK WILL NOT MAKE YOU IMMORTAL.  The heal ticks are well spaced out, and if you are under 1/3rd health when you berserk, you absolutely can get killed during Berserk.

Basic attacks have a huge amount of forward movement attached to them, so much that they can keep up with sprinting in combat.  The Fury cost associated with even the basic attack is a good thing, as this prevents infinite chasing- although I never found that to be problematic, switching between sprinting and attacking kept the Bull moving at a high speed at all times.

The "dodge" is a fairly high damage attack on paper.  I definitely underutilized this during the test, and it'll take me some time to utilize this well.

Raging Bull, the C power, is either a lifesaver or highly aggressive CC.  It's nearly instant application of CC is a refreshing change from the slow windup of the Knight and Champion's C power, and fits the super twitchy feel of the Myrm very well.

In terms of damage output, the Myrm is lackluster, but I expect that from a tank class.  If you want to spike up damage output to make a kill, you need to overextend your defenses and open yourself up to either fatal Crashing or getting focused down, which is functioning as intended.

Kudos to the devs for a very solidly built archetype that makes you choose between survival and damage output, or, if you're very skilled pulling off both.

I look forward to seeing this quality of thought being put in to every future archetype, as well as the reviews of the older archetypes (especially the Knight) prior to launch to bring them in line with the quality of work seen last night.

If you want to spike up damage output to make a kill, you need to overextend your defenses and open yourself up to either fatal Crashing or getting focused down, which is functioning as intended.

Kudos to the devs for a very solidly built archetype that makes you choose between survival and damage output, or, if you're very skilled pulling off both.

Well said, Kithslayer.

I second this statement and think that Myrm is going to be seen a lot in battle simply because of it's damage mitigation.