Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kalus_Konkwest

I, Kalus Konkwest

I started gaming when I was 5 years old on an old apple 2e with a monochrome monitor. Frogger, Zaxxon, Blitzkrieg, a game called Brain Drain from a little known software company called Microsoft.

I made the switch to consoles when the NES came out then switched back to PC when a loose battery in the cartridge let me down, about 4 hours from finishing Final Fantasy and it lost my saved game; i would never forgive them. Back on PC I mostly remember Scorched Earth and Mechwarrior.

Then BBSes became a popular thing and I discovered multiplayer games (Crossroads of the Elements) and door games (Legend of the Red Dragon, Usurper, Tradewars). Eventually I would go on to find MUDs, some of which are still around today. StrangeMUD, AstroMUD, Realms of the Dragon, Dawn of the Dragon (now just Dawn).

Helping a friend run and modify theirs and owning a MUD of my own gave me the chance to learn how to program the hard way, trial and error. Thankfully I had friends to clean up the messes I tended to make. 

For a long time I refused to make the change from MUDs to MMOs. All that eye candy rotted away your imagination was my line of thought.

And then I came across City of Heroes and everything changed. This game very literally changed my life, for better or worse I've yet to decide. I would spend the next 8 years devoted to it, playing up 32 characters to the max level of 50. Building a supergroup (guild) from the ground up to become the second most powerful on the server. Eventually watching that group crumble through my own mistakes, a severely painful lesson. Building a new group back up to the top 10. Where most people considered 500 million influence (the currency in-game) to be "a lot", I stopped tracking my profits at the 50 billion mark.

It was here I learned to lead. It was here I learned to profit. The above is simply a bunch of words. It cannot encompass that experience, it was a life all it's own in a world that was never real.

When the choice was made by NCsoft to pull the plug on that world I, and many thousands of others, was crushed. I spent several years afterward looking for anywhere else that gave that feeling of home again and never truly found it. I tried over a dozen different games during this time, some of which I still fiddle with from time to time but never in a serious manner.

I ended up working with a small group in the depths of the outer rim of the galaxy (nullsec) in EVE Online as it played well to my achievers mindset, though the lack of risk management tools there tended to leave a bad taste in my mouth. It was during this time that I started to compile a list of ideas and concepts of what I wanted to have in a game that would be my ideal. The general plan being that if I couldn't find this, I would find a way to make it myself. 

And so it was with great relief that I stumbled across Crowfall. This project so closely mirrors everything on my list that I am going all-in with it in the hopes to finally have a new "home".

I have lived a thousand lives through games. Conquering in some, perishing in others. Learning all the while. I look forward to interacting with the rest of you in Crowfall and hope you will all enjoy the life it provides as much as I will.

Edited by Kalus_Konkwest

Howdy. Glad to know you. If you don't mind sharing, I'd be curious as to what mistakes led to the crumbling of your CoH group. Generally. Maybe we can learn from them too?

Howdy. Glad to know you. If you don't mind sharing, I'd be curious as to what mistakes led to the crumbling of your CoH group. Generally. Maybe we can learn from them too?

my group was ParagonSWAT on the Guardian server. we were second only to Twilight Avengers, who were pretty well known for being the second group to solo the end game boss called the Hamidon with only members of their sg (supergroup, their version of guilds). the first group being Jagged Legion on a different server. they were much bigger than we were but we could still hold our own against them in pvp. 

Anyway, to answer your question... i held on to the reins of power too tightly and refused to delegate anything to anyone because i wanted all of the control. which meant that anything that needed to be done had to be done by me because no one else had the ability to, and for awhile that worked. eventually lack of paying attention to real life made things fall apart there and i lost access to the internet and the game for more than a month. with no one having the ability to do anything except me it caused a failcascade and the group fell apart. i had no one to blame but myself and it was a painful lesson, one i have no intention of repeating.

after i got back i started putting together a second group that would also rise to be in the top 10 on Guardian as well. with that group it was more of gathering a few hardcore people, investing in them and making epic things happen. it was never as big as SWAT was and never intended to be one of the big powers of the server. i put a lot more trust and control in the hands of the other members of it, and gave them the freedom to do a lot more on their own. that was in the waning last months and days before shutdown.

since CoH/CoV was closed i've mostly been wandering trying to find anything that comes close to as good and mostly striking out, hopefully until now with Crowfall. i latched on to EVE Online for awhile and started building an organization again, but folded that effort into a friends group when i started feeling itchy feet towards that game. i do feel pretty good about building him a solid core of people to work and kickstart his own ventures with.

Edited by Kalus_Konkwest

i've also been making electronic music for awhile. only one track thus far posted on here, but i've made a couple dozen others that i'll probably post there eventually along with new tracks in the works. and i'm working on starting streaming and producing youtube videos as well, which is actually what got me into making music to begin with (due to the copyright issues with using other people's stuff).

feedback welcome and appreciated, even if it's insulting.  :P