Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACE Q&A For September: Official Discussion Thread

MiracleMax

Design Lead Thomas Blair and Creative Director Todd Coleman answer some of your burning questions in September's ACE Q&A Video: Anniversary Edition!

(Prepare to be dazzled by some crazy special effects!)

FULL STORY

Max Lancaster, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @crowfallgame | Like us on Facebook

I enjoyed the video and I found the whole 'parcels will have weight limits' tidbit of information pretty interesting. I also like the idea of building 'outside of the grid' ... the more freeform building options that we have in our EKs, the more customized they'll end up being. The last thing I'd like to see is everyone's EK looking like cookie-cutter designs.

Do we know yet if we're going to have variants in colors and skins for buildings?

Are we going to have different 'props' for placement within these buildings?

I'm wayyyyy too interested in EK micromanagement and making our EK look as epic / unique as possible.

It's not necessary to front load combo skill cost to ensure you can complete a combo. You could disable skill activation til you have enough resource to compete the whole combo, than still retain partial cost in each step.

Beyond that, hope your changes can get around to creating the Centaur we wanted, and some real use of wings :-/

Ice on the walls....great :)

I'm not seeing how creating sudden hazard liabilities keeps with the purpose of having a wall at all. They already made them laughably destructible, but you can also whisk them off the wall and slide them off. A wall is there to be safer, how is it demonstrating incomparable advantage?

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

The issue with front loading combos is that it takes away the viability of using abilities outside of the main combo chains. It means you can't weave abilities from different combo chains without taking a giant penalty that would likely make it not worth the cost.

Frontloading combos is not a 50-50 proposition.  It's almost universally loathed by competent players because it doesn't give us the choice of how to spend our resources.  If as a Knight, I hit 4, I should pay the cost for that power.  4 again, pay the cost for that power.  Then my target teleports away.  I choose not to spend the cost for the final 4 (the knockdown, the gated power behind the two useless powers).  

By insisting that we pay frontloaded combo costs, you're essentially saying "you're too stupid to manage your own mana for gated powers (combos)"

Playing as a druid I'd prefer combo's not to be front-loaded, I still mess up on occassion when I'm playing the druid because of how the resource is generated, I sometimes end up with too much or not enough of the essence that I need. However that is my fault and only my fault for not being attentive enough. For all the reasons stated previously as well, I agree that the combos need to be paid on an ability by ability basis.

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Agree about front loading combo powers cost. It takes away your ability to react tactically as things change. In an open sandbox type game we should want combat to also be as open and imaginative as possible. Front loading takes away that freedom and effectively dumbs down combat.

PFq3vWQ.png

Front loading combo mana costs is just bad it takes away player agency. If for example I want to cast 1 part of a combo it costs lets say 3 pieces of mana so that 1 skill now costs 3 instead of 1 or if i want to just go 2 deep in a 3 skill tree I am still paying 3 mana for that skill. I cant see having some info as to the cost of a tree worth loosing agency. Just my 2c

89W57Tu.jpg