Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grapist

Stealing, Snooping, Stealth

Stealing, Snooping, Stealth....these 3 things are a must !

These (along with full/partial bag loot drop) will make the game.

Too many recent games have taken these out due to care bear boo hoo'n !

Many a hardcore player has been waiting for a such a game......"what's the point of playing if you have to "duel" or agree to pk/fight someone?

Nothing gets your heart racing like sneaking up on a guy farming mobs/nods , the looting him and trying to get away  (I must also suggest that "tracking" also be included...works not only for the griefer, but helps the care-bears feel somewhat safe (which is fair )

Also, since I want my cake and eat it too....might I also insist that "quick leveling" and easy access to resources be included.  Players want to build different builds often...but the idea of taking a month or so to build a new guy sucks.  Games that have easy leveling create more interest in playing, and results more daily players.

That's my 2 cents.....flame away....but I'll be writing your names down and Graping you in the mouth come game day !

Peace, Love and John Lenon :)

The Grapist

(I must also suggest that "tracking" also be included...works not only for the griefer, but helps the care-bears feel somewhat safe (which is fair )

Well they confirmed that Bounty Hunting is in-game. So we are like 95% sure tracking IS, indeed, in-game. :lol:

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I never played a thief but I LOVED LOVED LOVED snooping. It was so much fun.

As for this topic, sure w/e I don't care either way. I know some people love playing the thief. Just as long as I can booby trap my pack.

I hope they don't mess up stealth mechanics.

I'd rather have a narrower field of vision limiting what you can see behind you and having to watch your six Instead of having an invisibility button on rogues.

And have blinding effects obscure your screen.

I'd like to see stealth and subterfuge take a bit of skill to pull off.

I'd rather have a narrower field of vision limiting what you can see behind you and having to watch your six Instead of having an invisibility button on rogues.

^ Same.

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

i'm all for a stealth/steal system...

as long as there is an available Counter to it....like Track and Reveal...

adds tactical layers form both angles...and adding is a good thing, imo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

i'm all for a stealth/steal system...

as long as there is an available Counter to it....like Track and Reveal...

adds tactical layers form both angles...and adding is a good thing, imo

All in favor of Reveal..... adds to the challenge

Also, since I want my cake and eat it too....might I also insist that "quick leveling" and easy access to resources be included.  Players want to build different builds often...but the idea of taking a month or so to build a new guy sucks.  Games that have easy leveling create more interest in playing, and results more daily players.

:)

The Grapist

The problem with being able to finish a toon in a few nights is that it just turns the game into a glorified rock paper scissors fest. If i know my knight can't beat the guy in my farm spot, I'll just log in the type of toon that can. Then they log one in to beat what I logged in, and it turns into a meta of logging the right toon in at the right time, instead of advancing 1 particular skill set with one type of toon. I'm all for "faster" leveling, but I don't think we should all have every type of char in a few months.

Alright, me perosnally, I always hated stealth/invisibility in MMOs.

I think it has no place, especially not in a PvP game.

let me elaborate and give you an example:

Scouts in SB could basically pick their fights. PvP only happened on their terms. If they didn't want to fight and paid attention to their surroundings, there's nothing you could do. It was stupid imo.

Other MMOs also seriously lacked reveal skills. Combine stealth with blink abilities of some sorts and some classes could basically end a fight.

Escape mechanisms were waaaay too simple and required no planning, no player skill, just the pressing of 1 or 2 buttons.

Imo, do away with stealth or invisibility as a whole. Never liked it, never will.

snooping/stealing, hell yeah, go for it :)

My absolute favorite implementation of stealth is from a Half Life 2 mod called Dystopia. There's three kinds of stealth implants: Stealth Suit (invisibility), Sound Suppressor (silence) and Cold Suit (thermal blackout). There's two stealth defeating implants: Thermal Vision and Sound Wave Triangulator, which both defeat Stealth but are in turn foiled by one of the other stealth implants. Every player had to decide which of these to use among a slew of other implants. Fights got crazy when you could only see about half of the players on the opposite team. You had to trust your teammates to have the right implants to get the other guys.

Stealth is a must in MMO's

It helps the solo player against the group.

Now, you must have a reveal to combat the Stealther.

I loved the Shadowbane model, of only the "Scout" can detect stealth.

The Scout was weak, but an absolute must have in groups.  Without a scout...a stealther could reak havoc on a group, with a scout...the stealther got wasted.

Snooping/stealing.....absolutley!!!!  love it when i do it to others.....hate it when it happens to me.!!  Which makes a great element in the game!!!

dulpoa76627.png

Few games have done stealth right, I also hope Crowfall makes it fun.

In my opinion Mortal Online thief systems is one of the best. So much fun being a thief in MO.

YES! Being a thief in Mortal Online (used to) be the most fun thing in the world. Jumping across rooftops, tailing somebody who you knew had a stack of 30g in the purse, then snooping in their pockets while they were browsing a shop was the best thing ever. Of course, it was easy for the guards to kill you, but that one time where you hit a jackpot off of some guy was the best feeling in the world.

I'm all for thieves if there is a Scout class counter.

My whole purpose when we get to play the beta is to recreate the SB Scout class as much as possible.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Running about in stealth I always found a little lame , but with a 3rd person game its quite difficult to physically hide .

I like the Hide stealth mechanic in Uo , where hiding was affected by skill and the proximity of other players and stealth only granted you a certain distance based on skill.

Edited by maarvy

I very much like having stealth, sneak, hide, snoop, and steal in the game.  The key seems to be having a balance of counter measures.

I also like when there are more than one way to achieve a goal. 

There could be lots of different ways to counter a stealthier:  reveal, tracking skills, AoE damage to reveal or slow or both, traps, etc..

There could be lots of ways to counter balance the advantage of stealthing.

I agree that there should be stealth and looting/stealing but the mechanic for looting other players should be what is in their inventory not their equipped items in my opinion.  So for instance someone farms a few hundred crafting resources, then you come and take them from him. :-)