Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bahamutkaiser

So... how's that Friendly Fire going?

Just wondering how this is coming along, or were we just supposed to forget?

I mean, we were getting friendly fire right? Strategic combat? Collision and physics?

I'm relying on the community now to keep me current, because I'm not entertained by hour long live streams of redundant information, was this addressed?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Just wondering how this is coming along, or were we just supposed to forget?

I mean, we were getting friendly fire right? Strategic combat? Collision and physics?

Don't take my words as totally accurate please. My memory could be wrong, it was after midnight and I was getting tired. I rather have Todd tell you in here personally and in more detail.

We asked Todd about FF at the party, but you will not like the answer. Basically Todd said they can turn it on whenever they want, but they don't think it will work nicely with the combat system. They could test and turn it on within a campaign, but they expect it wouldn't be popular because it wouldn't be fun. They do not plan to adjust the combat system to work with FF, the current combat system is here to stay. If FF works with it, great; if not, too bad.

We also had a discussion if they actually promised FF to the community, but I won't talk about that in here. You'll have to wait for Todd for this one.

I agree that FF wouldn't work with the combat at all, I said that months ago already. I don't see the benefit of having it turned on anyway, so I was happy with his answer. I know you don't.

Edited by Caenth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I never cared about friendly fire but i know this will be the nail in the coffin for a lot of people.

Its a subpar combat system that is basicslly worse than every other game and it removes huge game systems people wanted

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Don't take my words as totally accurate please. My memory could be wrong, it was after midnight and I was getting tired. I rather have Todd tell you in here personally and in more detail.

We asked Todd about FF at the party, but you will not like the answer. Basically Todd said they can turn it on whenever they want, but they don't think it will work nicely with the combat system. They could test and turn it on within a campaign, but they expect it wouldn't be popular because it wouldn't be fun. They do not plan to adjust the combat system to work with FF, the current combat system is here to stay. If FF works with it, great; if not, too bad.

We also had a discussion if they actually promised FF to the community, but I won't talk about that in here. You'll have to wait for Todd for this one.

I agree that FF wouldn't work with the combat at all, I said that months ago already. I don't see the benefit of having it turned on anyway, so I was happy with his answer. I know you don't.

I really hope that we see some form of friendly fire.  I never saw FFA friendly fire being viable with this combat, but group wide (4 to 8 players) friendly fire immunity I think would work extremely well for being able to outplay zergs :D

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

I currently see FF working in one of three ways:

1. FF from BIG attacks and Seige weaponry. BIG attacks are mostly C abilities, with some exceptions (like Hellfire Tornado or Aurora Emitter) and people  manning seiges can't go attacking willy-nilly on enemies. You could very well cripple your own force while trying to cripple your enemies.
  2. FF from body interactions. This would mostly effect projectiles, but your hitbox could block allied projectiles. If you're in the way, you could ruin your Stalker's money shot.
  3. Reduced damage from allies powers. Turn FF on everything and if an ally is hit with with your attack, they take 50% or something of the full damage your enemy would've taken

Of course they could just turn it on and watch the chaos that ensues.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Of course they could just turn it on and watch the chaos that ensues.

I think they should at least try this. FF is one of those things that's easier to understand in action than on paper.

If they really wanted to prove they don't think it will work, then they could turn it on, let us mess around with it and see for ourselves.

You could see people really trying to change the way they play, and, of course, you could see it completely fail.

231e101d88.jpg

FF is one of those things that's easier to understand in action than on paper.

You know you will drown when you're under water in the harbor with a block of concrete attached to your feet. Some things you just don't need to see in action to know it won't work.

FF from body interactions. This would mostly effect projectiles, but your hitbox could block allied projectiles. If you're in the way, you could ruin your Stalker's money shot.

Once upon a time, in the very early Pre-Alpha days, it was not possible for projectiles to go through teammates. We tried it, it was not fun and it made Confessors pretty much useless.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Pretty obvious from the start that FF wouldn't work with the combat system they've made. Turning it on is easy, but I highly doubt it would be popular/fun with the system in place.

Way too much Arc-Cone-AOE melee along with how Range works for it to be useful, even if lag/FPS improve.

People would figure out how to work with it, but most likely would seem rather silly.

The dregs has FF enabled.

This hasn't been confirmed at all. Hence the whole point of the topic (seeing as we haven't heard anything about FF in quite some time, at least publicly). 

The dregs won't have any predefined alliances, but that doesn't necessary mean there will be FF.

Edited by helix

You know you will drown when you're under water in the harbor with a block of concrete attached to your feet. Some things you just don't need to see in action to know it won't work.

You'd think so, but, I think it would really put to rest all these copy/paste threads and posts about FF. It's obviously something people care about.

I'm sure there would be some appreciation if they acknowledged it a little more.

That said, I don't really care either way. Maybe they'll start iterations on it later. I'm not sure, I'm not here to make excuses for them.

231e101d88.jpg

I (personal opinion) think what we have now is what we're likely to have going forward for the most part. I think some bands will try limited FF outside groups, within the same nation and that sort of thing. Limited FF with siege equipment. Limited FF on certain powerful abilities. (Ex: Imagine a very large radius, very powerful PBAOE that had full on FF. Risk / reward = diversity).

Make it change based on abilities IMO. You should have to think and choose when to use certain abilities that play by different rules. Just like Channie in SB. Powerful ranged AoEs for days, but they weren't group friendly.

Wow.

Its almost like -- 11 months ago -- we told them they needed friendly fire turned on so that they could develop a combat system that actually had the tactical implications of friendly fire, and they ignored us, and built a combat system with no consideration for the tactical implications of friendly fire!

Wait - that's exactly what happened.

That is exactly what f*cking happened.

We told them to put it in. 

We told them it needed to be balanced around, and not added afterwards, or this would happen.

F*cking unbelievable incompetence. If this is true, whatever hope I still had for this rooted-combat damage-splitting MOBA-trash piece of poorly made socks game just went out the window.

aka honeybear

I never cared about friendly fire but i know this will be the nail in the coffin for a lot of people.

Its a subpar combat system that is basicslly worse than every other game and it removes huge game systems people wanted

You must of not played Darkfall which had full friendly fire.

Just have some aspect of FF in the Dregs at least please.

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers