Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bahamutkaiser

So... how's that Friendly Fire going?

I also don't understand the whole "FF is anti-Zerg"; FF is anti ball up and stand in one place. It might give you some additional combat decisions to make but it won't secure you victories if you're 10 dudes getting wrecked by 50 unless they have subhuman intelligence, c'mon now.

The way I see this is that you wont have those 50 people all just body block your 10 man team without risk of killing themselves and potentially eating up some of those target caps, blocking shots, etc.  Sure, its not the silver bullet, but will require a little more consideration how you engage as a large group.  If that large group is of "subhuman intelligence" (lets be real, some people just can't learn or understand mechanics) then the 10 man group has a better chance if group wide only FF immunity is a thing IMO.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

"But to be clear, our goal is to make it work"

"We are willing to try find ways to make it work, for all servers"

https://youtu.be/t7VICThIkPQ?t=163

Re: cone-based melee and its effects on friendly fire:

Blair: "Oh man, you're really gonna have to watch where you aim that. That's the downside of friendly fire."

----

It was ALWAYS the plan to have friendly fire. 

Perhaps you misread my posts. That makes argument really easy when you make up your opponent's powition or bastardize it.

• I didn't suggest (as you imply I did) that the devs didn't "want" FF. 
  • I didn't suggest (as you imply I did) that the devs wouldn't "try to find ways to" make FF work.
  • I didn't suggest (as you imply I did) that the devs didn't set a "goal to make" FF work.

I suggested the Devs did not promise you, nor anyone else, pure FF, anywhere, ever, thereby causing you to back the game. If that's what you think happened to you, then the reading issue is yours and yours alone.

FFS none of those verbal quotes even define FF. We will have FF. We will not have pure FF ala DarkFail.

Edited by coolwaters

I was afraid my reply about FF would be taken like this. This was the discussion we had with Todd as well. Again, I'm not willing to talk about what has been said in that discussion in here.

Like Coolwaters, the question I want to ask you, did ACE actually promised FF to be in the game? You seem to think so, but I'm not sure. Can you show us quotes, or something else as 'proof' that ACE promised that FF would be part of the game? The community asking for FF over and over doesn't make it a 'ACE promised it to us' feature really.

I understand your hesitancy but the fact they havent just come out and said whats going one is either #1 because they are still trying to work on it or #2 they know theyre not doing it and know the hell it will cause from players.

If it was #1 wouldnt they have said whats going on and the status of it like they have in Q&A's about other features or put something in for us to test. If it was important they wouldnt just wait and throw it in at the end, theyd need to balance it and make changes. So I its looking more and more like its #2 they know it will piss a lot of people off and are just avoiding it as long as possible.

But who knows, maybe tomorrow they will say they have friendly fire and amazing combat, and good performance.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Group based immunity could still work with maxing out party sizes at 5. This would nerf the zerg and make it to where people would still have to worry about friendly fire in bigger fights but not require an unrealistic degree of precision in an MMO which has lots of lag and lag compensation with people playing everywhere in the world.

This here. Enough said. 

I heard Mr.Coleman said at the gamescom party that they are going to sell "roleplay packages" via the ingame shop. You buy a Dreamstone package and get

- Rights to use 1000 "thee" and 1000 "thou" per month

- 500 asterics per month to display the emotions that overwhelm your character *nods*

- an in-game wedding (if nobody is willing to marry you in game, a member of support staff will be obliged to).

- a special "Finish him" ability - non-roleplaying People that kill you in game without your consent will be enforced to read your fan fiction stories on the forum by the community management.

Maybe I shouldn't have given out all this information. I already regret doing so.

Edited by rajah

I think it's only the very few, very loud players who enjoyed the monkey-simple mess that Darkfall sieging was who will be disappointed. I think there will be lots of FF in various settings and applications in CF.

I don't think much of it will be DF style "pure" FF, and I think that is and has been obvious for a long, long time. I think the quote is actually a fairly spot on projection of where we'll end up. I don't read that to mean all FF all the time, at all.

We get it that you sucked on Darkfall, no need to say it everytime.

The impression was never that Crowfall would have had pure FF active on all the rulesets.

If you cared to read what I linked (the super old thread), it was clear to everyone even then that the best case scenario was pure FF in the dregs and decreasing FF penalties in easier rulesets. You don't like friendly fire, it's alright. It doesn't mean that you have to pretend that the DEVs have been honest and clear on the matter. If they end up not using FF anywhere, they will have broken a promise they made before and after the KS, period. Not to mention they would have been dishonest times and times again when we complained about combat not being built for FF and they told us to chill and wait.

Love the comment from the guy with the eggs. Well done missing the whole custard1ng point.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I understand your hesitancy but the fact they havent just come out and said whats going one is either #1 because they are still trying to work on it or #2 they know theyre not doing it and know the hell it will cause from players.

It was none of that actually.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Group based immunity could still work with maxing out party sizes at 5. This would nerf the zerg and make it to where people would still have to worry about friendly fire in bigger fights but not require an unrealistic degree of precision in an MMO which has lots of lag and lag compensation with people playing everywhere in the world.

Think real hard about how that would be abused or used for griefing...

Think real hard about how that would be abused or used for griefing...

And? If people don't like the rule sets with FF enabled (if it gets implemented), they can play in campaigns that don't have it.  A major part of the game will be politics, betrayal, and backstabbing.  What some consider griefing may in fact be a calculated move.  Some people will get pooped on, others will do the pooping.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

I heard Mr.Coleman said at the gamescom party that they are going to sell "roleplay packages" via the ingame shop. You buy a Dreamstone package and get

- Rights to use 1000 "thee" and 1000 "thou" per month

- 500 asterics per month to display the emotions that overwhelm your character *nods*

- an in-game wedding (if nobody is willing to marry you in game, a member of support staff will be obliged to).

- a special "Finish him" ability - non-roleplaying People that kill you in game without your consent will be enforced to read your fan fiction stories on the forum by the community management.

Maybe I shouldn't have given out all this information. I already regret doing so.

justwow-1.gif

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

And? If people don't like the rule sets with FF enabled (if it gets implemented), they can play in campaigns that don't have it.  A major part of the game will be politics, betrayal, and backstabbing.  What some consider griefing may in fact be a calculated move.  Some people will get pooped on, others will do the pooping.

Read again and learn.

I didn't say FF was a bad idea.  I said think real hard about how making your own group immune to FF would be abused. 

Read again and learn.

I didn't say FF was a bad idea.  I said think real hard about how making your own group immune to FF would be abused. 

Please, do explain how that would be abused.

YouTube Channel

So naive... has nobody every played games like this before?

Seeing as how I have no idea what you meant, can you please explain it to the ignorant so we may attempt to understand.  I am of the camp that group immunity is the only way FF will work with this combat, it would be nice to hear how it might be more detrimental than going full on FFA friendly fire.

Edited by destrin

YouTube Channel

This whole thread is yucky. Everyone, on all sides, is wrong.

Illuminate.

Don't obfuscate.  Not being snarky, but be clear.

IMO most of the "yuck" factor in MMO forums comes from people saying nothing, but doing so vigorously.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Friendly fire increases the skill-ceiling.  I am all for it.

Again, people that say it won't work, don't have to play it, those of us that would enjoy paying closer attention to positioning and the game requiring much more awareness will have a blast with it.

Strictly speaking, skill-ceilings in relation to mechanics calibration don't have anything to do with Friendly Fire, do they?

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin