Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MiracleMax

Art Team Adventures: Official Discussion Thread

Hey Crows!

We're looking for some feedback on our first Art Team Adventures stream. For those of you who watched the D&D session:

• What are some ways we could get you, the viewers, more involved next time?
  • What was your favorite thing we did?
  • Least favorite?

If you have any general suggestions or comments related to the stream, please drop them here. 

Thanks for watching!

Max Lancaster, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @crowfallgame | Like us on Facebook

I love this stream, was a lot of fun to watch.

I'm not sure how much you guys want to invest in a stream like this, but here's some things I think would make it even more awesome;
  • Dice cam - top down cam focused on a dice tray
  • Overlay swapping for encounters - Show DM cam on one side, dice cam between whose turn it is, and whose ever turn it is' cam + character sheet on opposite side (this could get really tedious as often as they fight stuff)
  • Screenshots of MM NPC's for "big stuff" during encounter on the DM side
  • For viewer interaction you could maybe get a Discord setup, allow people in chat to !enter (like you would do for a giveaway) and get however many people you have on the stream team, allow that many winners and get them into a channel. Give them some set amount of time to come up with a group composition, and roll characters 1/2 the level of the stream team. Once their time has lapsed global mute them (so they can no longer communicate). At some untold point in the game Todd creates an encounter with these guys for some PvP. Roll20.net would work as a good "cam" for the team, and way for them to roll and stuff so the DM can see it on a tablet or laptop. If the Stream team loses, they take over the character sheets of the victors to continue the story on a different path (whatever Todd comes up with as an impromptu back story for the viewer group) with the penalty of being half level (or same level, whatever, just thought it'd be good to give the Stream team an edge, because everyone gets attached to their characters).

My favorite part about the stream so far is it's laid back and people are having fun, not super serious. I was expecting to see Todd's super awesome Hippogryph at any moment. There's a few popular D&D streams but it just looks more like people who aren't actors, trying to act. This is like a group of awesome drunk friends playing D&D. Some entertaining ass poorly made socks to have in the background.

Least favorite thing was missing the beginning. 

BHmpYrj.png

Edited by dhal

Fu3oW5d.png I must consider my sins

Jon trying to decipher the notes was great for a laugh.

The stream brought back some great memories.Hope you guys are able to continue it.

Maybe have the community suggest future modules/adventures.

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers".

On 6/9/2015 at 3:44 PM, Tyrant said:

1. Have Todd make a bunch of branching situations on where he could want the storyline to go and have the viewers vote on what should happen based on a poll

2. Energy was great from Todd and Jon, Todd is a great storyteller

3. Besides the obvious issues I can't hold you guys accountable for (mic issues at the beginning, stream fallout, etc) I might recommend toning down the volume a bit (Jon gets VERY loud when he yells). Just another thing I can't really hold you guys responsible for is just the boringness of a long playthrough. When it takes a half hour to just hang out and talk to people in a bar it becomes a bit lackluster and makes viewers less interested. Nothing against the players, they are playing and obviously having fun, but when there is a stream going, entertainment for the viewers is a big deal. 

A few ideas on how to spice up future events:

-They are all artists? Why not have them do sketches of some of the events, Dave blocks out rough sketch drawings in no time, so maybe add an "art" aspect to an "artists adventure"

-I know you asked this in question one but engage the audience in chat. Besides the occasional "What should we name this?" communication between Todd, the players and chat was limited. Max was great in chat communicating with fans but there was that communication gap between the chat and who we were actually watching. So maybe give Todd a laptop or phone to look at chat too while playing?

-Find a balance between energy. It felt like Jon was very energetic and involved while Dave, Melissa and Doggett were just kinda "there" throwing in the occasional piece of more serious advice

Edited by Nicholas LionRider

Hah, I wasn't going to post it on the forums dhal!

What are some ways we could get you, the viewers, more involved next time?

- Do a raffle to name NPC's after viewers

- Set up a donation account and allow people to donate for things like advantage rolls or names or to influence character decisions

- set up prizes to boost viewer count

- Set up a Crowfall related campaign with a custom story and crowfall archetypes (or just modify a pre-made one)

- Allow community members to sign-up for a grand prize raffle to play with the Devs. Pre-screen them and have them skype in or drive to the office if local.

- Run a competition for a community created D&D show and feature it on the website.

- Auction off novelty items like Melissa's god tier hacker dice and Jon's Wolf hat.

What was your favorite thing we did?

- I just enjoy it when there's some kind of interaction with the audience. I think when devs respond to chat or talk with community members on a personal level, it gives community members a sense of ownership that they wouldn't get with a normal MMO company. Firefall did this well and ACE is knocking it out of the park so far.

Least favorite?

- Jon needs to tone it down a little...my poor bleeding ears haha.

The biggest tip I can give the players is to not spend so much time on side quests. Set up your characters backstory and then make decisions based on your character's personality. You should also probably choose somebody to be the unofficial leader of the group that can make executive decisions instead of spending 10-15 minutes trying to decide on things. You could tell that Todd was a little frustrated a few times during the session haha

Edited by IdeaMatrix

This is a tough one not sure how to get more people involved the naming was good. That said I'm sure there is a way just can't come up with any.

Wolf hat! that and just in general well done all around. Except ....

• Least favorite?

Sound no two ways around it while the initial problems got fixed (good job on that) the mics would get maxed out on the screams of joy and merriment. Also while most of the time the volume was good a few times it did get kind of quiet when Doggett and Melissa were talking, not sure how to fix that without returning the echo. I know these things are not something easily fixed but you asked and honestly that's the only real issue

All in all would watch again hope to see another.

89W57Tu.jpg

Overall the Stream was fun :D

--- Suggestions  ---

- Would be cool if they included the Streamer in the conversation and if he occasionally read some of the comments during the stream. Seemed a bit weird that they were pretending he wasn't there.. it's ok that he's off camera.. let him be "our voice"

- Noticed some people mention maybe adding a Dice/Note cam for those "big" rolls that the streamer toggles on.. maybe have it pop up in the middle of the screen.. might be too much to manage.. might miss reactions and such.

- There is a 10-30+ second delay so keep that in mind when asking people for feedback on stream.

- Add a bot to the channel and randomly pick a streamer to roll some dice :D

- Maybe take a few minutes occasionally to talk about Crowfall and answer questions

- Have a giveaway for a month of VIP or something; given out randomly throughout the stream for active viewers.

- Add Crowfall music to the background of the Starting Screen Animation.. 

- Plug in the music to the mixer maybe? Have the streamer manage the music.. might run into issues where you get feedback from the mics on the table.

- You guys can always mix it up and play other games too.. 

- Reward your viewers by keeping track of their view time and maybe give them a raffle ticket for every hour of viewing or something? Make it so they need to type something in chat in order to generate time.. "must type in chat at least once every 5 minutes to not become idle".. etc.

- Giveaways are fun.. but don't over do them... please, if you decide to have giveaways make them for cheap items... not like expensive pledge packages, etc.

- At the end of the stream would be cool if they took a couple minutes to answer questions / giveaways / etc. Maybe keep the stream running while everyone gets up and leaves so it doesn't just end awkwardly.

- Would be cool if the devs had a screen they could read comments and answer questions as they wished. Alot of people were giving suggestions when you guys were taking 5 minutes to decide what to do. Would have been fun to see some of the feedback actually being acknowledged without having to pause for a formal request from the viewers.   

--- Favorite Stuffs --- 

- Favorite thing was when the team included the viewers and interacted with them.

- This:

h0QtB3k.png
"Wolf Spider" - By: Jon O'Neal (LEAD CROWFALL ENVIRONMENT ARTIST)

(Hint: Drawn LIVE on Stream)

- And Apparently Dave want's Jon "INSIDE" of him:

qAqAl4d.png

--- Least Favorite --- 

- The streamer wasn't included in the stream even though he was reading comments / questions on the side. (we don't have to see him, but it would be cool if he mentioned comments more often. Point out funny ones, etc. You don't want people to spam questions so maybe use a point system where people spend points earned while watching in order to ask questions/make comments. Maybe even donate cash for their question to pop up on screen during a stream. Plenty of options out there.. the cash can go towards a giveaway goal, etc.

- When they asked people for feedback they didn't account for the delay and people's responses were not taken into account or acknowledged in time. The best way to handle this is for the moderator to ask the question in chat and announce when they are no longer taking feedback? Can also type in chat "10 seconds left for feedback" or something.. 

- They didn't take a few minutes to answer questions or talk about Crowfall.. sure they maybe playing something else but they are on the "CrowfallGame" channel not the "ACE-Adventures" channel.

--------------------------

Maybe: If you purchase something from the Crowfall store during a Crowfall stream and let the moderator know you get that watch tower thing from the last stream? Give people a limited window 5-10 minutes to do this maybe? :)

Looking forward to the next one  -   ^_^
Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Have moments where players can give suggestions and vote to on how to advance the story-line next.

Could create for some amusing forced situations.

The bickering was amusing for a while.

If the group enters a deadlock on what to do, or can't decide viewer vote.

I was entertained.

My favorite thing was that you were bold enough to do this and that people were good sports about it.

My least favorite thing was the microphone's sensitivity to table thumping.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just another thing I can't really hold you guys responsible for is just the boringness of a long playthrough. When it takes a half hour to just hang out and talk to people in a bar it becomes a bit lackluster and makes viewers less interested. Nothing against the players, they are playing and obviously having fun, but when there is a stream going, entertainment for the viewers is a big deal. 

You think so? I'm on the other side of this fence. I feel like there was almost no downtime between fights, and I quite like watching people trying to figure out what they're going to do. It's also kinda fascinating watching people assemble the 'purpose' of what they're doing when not fighting. One of the things I liked about playing D&D was waiting for my turn. This kinda felt like the good ol' time listening to banter and watching people work things out, but my turn never comes (which I'm totally fine with). I didn't catch most of the beginning I'd say, just from when they arrived to that redwhatevers' hangout, and our token entrepreneur half-ling "city druid" custarded up the tavern, then bought it.

On an unrelated note; Damn much more hate for Jon being passionate than I would have expected. I loved how into it he was getting. Dude's a beast.

Edited by dhal

Fu3oW5d.png I must consider my sins

You think so? I'm on the other side of this fence. I feel like there was almost no downtime between fights, and I quite like watching people trying to figure out what they're going to do. It's also kinda fascinating watching people assemble the 'purpose' of what they're doing when not fighting. One of the things I liked about playing D&D was waiting for my turn. This kinda felt like the good ol' time listening to banter and watching people work things out, but my turn never comes (which I'm totally fine with). I didn't catch most of the beginning I'd say, just from when they arrived to that redwhatevers' hangout, and our token entrepreneur half-ling "city druid" custarded up the tavern, then bought it.

On an unrelated note; Damn much more hate for Jon being passionate than I would have expected. I loved how into it he was getting. Dude's a beast.

Like I said it was nothing I could fault them for I do D&D streams with my old high school friends every few weeks on twitch, but I understand both sides of the playthrough. It's very fun to play D&D, not as fun to watch. It's like any game, sure you can have some fun watching a game (whether it be board game, video game, etc) but never as much enjoyment as playing it yourself. To them they are engaged but for many people watching they were probably multitasking (doing work, playing a game, going on twitter, etc) and besides the chat, there wasn't too much to keep the audience's attention. 

Again, I don't blame them at all, it's just how these things work. They were going to play D&D either way, they just decided to stream it, so I can't get actually upset over "not being entertained". Dungeons and Dragons is a game where it really only works if everyone is immersed and going along with the game. That's why people recommended things like live art, contests, etc. to further engage the audience. I feel D&D is best suited for cut up, edited videos on youtube. The Yogscast's D&D series' were all very good because they did minor animation, full costumes, effects, sets, and split them into 20 minute segments so people could digest them in smaller bits and be more devoted to the playthrough.

TL;DR maybe that would be suit the team better, instead of livestreams just doing an edited video series on the crowfall youtube, uploading "Episodes" of the playthroughs, edited (maybe some artistic graphics, nothing crazy, but little cartoons) and uploaded.

Never actually played a tabletop nor watched one played.  That video made me really want to play it now, especially as a DM.  Just looked like so much fun.  And I watched the entire thing and was bummed when it was called for the night.  I'm a fan of this.

My favorite aspect was Jon.  The guy was amazing.  From banging the table, to doing the multiple character voices, to staying in character on decisions, and all the extra curricular nonsense, it was all just ultra amusing and awesome.  I spit soda through my nose multiple times.  Don't change a thing as far as characters, immersion, etc...   Thought everyone played off each other well.  Thought Todd was rock solid in his role.

My least favorite aspect was missing the beginning.  And at times, when the banter wasn't hilarious, getting bogged down excessively long in the decision making process got tedious.  Overall though, this was pretty good throughout.

Advice:  Not really sure how realistic it is for the audience to have much of an impact on this.  Maybe, if there are story arcs, we can vote on which way for Todd to try and steer them.  For the most part, I think we're just going to need to be amused by the enthusiasm and banter of the group.  So far, so good on that.  If possible, it would be nice to see the dice rolls, but it's not a biggie if its too much of a hassle.  Just keep doing what you're doing overall.  No doubt though, Jon stole the show.

Hey Crows!

We're looking for some feedback on our first Art Team Adventures stream. For those of you who watched the D&D session:

• Least favorite?

If you have any general suggestions or comments related to the stream, please drop them here. 

Thanks for watching!

Sorry, but I would prefer more Crowfall development and less time lose like D&D games on streams

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

Remember everyone - you can watch this stream for 14 days as a video on demand. (e.g. for europe people and generally those that couldn't watch it)

https://www.twitch.tv/crowfallgame/profile [in 3 parts - 4 hours - start with oldest obviously #1; #2; #3)

Just make CF a good game.

Don't waste significant time or money on fluff, please.

Sorry, but I would prefer more Crowfall development and less time lose like D&D games on streams

They were extremely clear that this stream was out of office hours 'free time' event which should be immediately obvious if you look at the local start time of 7pm......(and beer!)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I had the game on in the background while I was burning the midnight oil on another project, and it was great fun to just listen in.

More involvement: I think it's fine the way it is. The occasional call-out to the audience for a name is great.

If you really want to involve people, have Todd work with Max to offer the odd "what do you think the NPCs should do?" with 2-3 numbered options for quick chat-room tally. At each break, get the audience vote on it (where the players can't see) and then run with it after the break... If the audience K.O.'s a player, have that artist sketch the scene.

Things I liked: That you did this. A lot of the more 'character actor' folks on the forums were curious if the team did any role-play, and that answer is pretty obvious now.

Things I didn't like: The mics need a compressor/limiter - Behringer makes a few really nice ones for under $200, and I can personally vouch for the MDX4600. :D

Side notes: I would steer away from 'Crowfalling it up' with game lore or archetypes as A ) That's too much like work and this is clearly a non-work activity and B ) it would add too much expectation on the contents of the session; things would be said off-the-cuff that some viewers would take as gospel and then get foamy when it didn't come to pass.

Edited by raeshlavik

Streaming when the EUs are sleeping doesn't help.

EDIT: Just saying... I know you guys did it off work so it had to be late. I approve the initiative though!

If they did it during better hours for EU than it would likely take place during their regular business hours which would mean during time they would be working on the game and pretty sure all hell would break lose on the forums from some posters if they did that. Theres already people saying "durr make the game not play games rawr!" and they did it in their off time. Imagine the pitch fork brigades reaction if they did it during actual business hours....

Edited by pang