Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active Crafting System and Recipes

Dondagora

After reading some stuff in the AMA thread, I've given some thought to this: How do we prevent alt accounts from stealing the crafter's purpose? For this to work, I believe, we need a crafting system that is not only consuming time equivalent to the worth of the item's quality, but also something which is inconsistent to some extent in terms of result and requires active attention to produce wanted results.

Now, this isn't to say that the alt accounts can't have their own purposes, so we give a costly alternative to the tedious work of crafting: Recipes. If you buy or create a recipe, you can produce an item with 60~70% the quality of the original. In turn, you can mass-produce these items and churn them out faster with varying quality between them. Recipes will also have a slightly increased chance to fail [5~10%]

As for the system itself, I'm unsure. Preferably it would act somewhat like a mini game, such as balancing a number of variables in order to create the balance you'd like using a number of skills/powers. Some variables, off the top of my head, are the weight versus durability of the item at hand, as well as the magical versus the physical attributes of it, and moving to the fail-success ratio. You might optimize a weapon to be the perfect 100% damage potential, feather-weight, indestructible steel sword, yet it has only a 1% chance of succeeding. Using a crafter's knowledge and skills, they might be able to increase the success to 5% with minimal loss of effectiveness. On the other end, a crafter who doesn't balance well might not even bring out that potential of their sword and be left with a 50% damage, average-weight, average-durability sword of the same materials and same chance to succeed.

This may take some resources, but I feel it will create a niche for "good" crafters to emerge rather than a number of us just pumping resources into the furnace and coming out with swords, armors, and pies that alt accounts could easily copy.

We don't need crafting to be a grind so that crafters can be rare.

We expect that there will be many crafting specialties, so many of those specialties will be pretty rare anyway.

Also, since all the good gear, POI upgrades, seige equipment, mounts, and repairs will need to be crafted, crafters will be in high demand.

I plan to craft, and I don't want it to stink. (deleted personal attack)

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

We expect that there will be many crafting specialties, so many of those specialties will be pretty rare anyway.

Also, since all the good gear, POI upgrades, seige equipment, mounts, and repairs will need to be crafted, crafters will be in high demand.

This may be the only reason having a alt crafter isint completely viable unless you have 5 alts then its more of a hassel to keep up with that crap.

Already we have armor making, weapon making, vessel making, discipline rune, maybe even relic, base building, what else will there be?

CfWBSig.png

This thought was so that crafting wouldn't be a grind. Unsure if you read the post, since I never said anything about the demand of a crafter, but merely that if they can make crafting a more skillful task it may help some crafters distinguish themselves, as well as prevent alt crafters from gaining too much prominence and also make crafting feel less grindy.