Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolster50

Explain Shadowbane Stealth to me

i introduced myself with a nice arrow and bleed  :)

Hi!...plink plink plink!!

I do miss my high con high run scout'n scout...used to run so many poor bastids around to the benny hill theme.

every now n then they would get disgruntled and get a small group to hunt me down...fun days

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I never played a stealther, but what I loved about Shadowbane was how skilled thieves would become so well-known.  An elite thief could plague an entire settlement and make life miserable for lone travelers outside the walls.  I also loved how the best scouts also became well-known as Thief-killers...basically a good scout was like Walker Texas Ranger.  

*sigh*

Here we are in the boneyard reminiscing again.  Why oh why didn't they just make Shadowbane 2?

I also remember it as any damage taken broke stealth. I remember at least once running a scout out of stamina and using the bloodhorn aoe axe power to break him out of stealth when he tried to hide in order to finish him off.

Played a scout for most of my time in Shadowbane. The submarine warfare aspect of scouting I feel was by far the best fun I've had in any MMO.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

I also remember it as any damage taken broke stealth. I remember at least once running a scout out of stamina and using the bloodhorn aoe axe power to break him out of stealth when he tried to hide in order to finish him off.

Played a scout for most of my time in Shadowbane. The submarine warfare aspect of scouting I feel was by far the best fun I've had in any MMO.

The enjoyment of using Blood Roar, to drop unnatural fliers (i.e. flight achieved using a spell) to the ground and eat them up with the LoA champ axe.

Omnom.

Perhaps my old man brain is wrong, but I want to say there was a long period of time that the AoE had no def check - so if you were able to get in range and on top of the stealther it was a guaranteed pop.

I loved doing that. Hedge of Thorns, the AoE version of Grasp of Thorns, was pretty decent at popping people out of stealth - one of the reasons I insisted on the high NL/high ATR build, to get through the typically high stealther Defense. Sometimes that one pop was all I needed, get the 3 DoTs on and the rest didn't matter.

It did get me called a hacker/exploiter a few times though. :)

It was a while before I understood that. I know I got hit out of stealth by Anthrage with thorns at a mine once, and a couple other times by random melee characters who followed me halfway across the map using F and popped me when I stopped.

On 9/17/2016 at 9:13 AM, coolster50 said:

In the AMA, Todd said that he'd like for stealth and anti-stealth to play similar to how it was in SB. I never played SB, so I want someone who has explain how the mechanics work.

There were two stealths; hide and sneak. Hide would break from movement, but was instant cast (or close enough) at max level. Sneak had a cast time, but allowed movement. Sneak didn't break hide so a lot of people had both, myself included. In stealth you'd be invisible until you either attacked or took damage from random AOE spam or an arrow to the face by someone who could see you. The anti-stealth buff allowed the caster to see stealthed people for the duration, as long as the level of the anti-stealth skill was equal to or greater than the level of the stealth skill. I can't remember the name of the anti-stealth skill right now. Reveal maybe? Scouts had it for sure, but I can't remember if any other classes got it.

There was a track skill. When you used it it made a popup with a list of all the people in range. You could select someone from the list and get a little arrow over your head pointing toward the player you're tracking. You could track people who were stealthed, but it didn't actually let you see them. Although since it would give you an idea of their approximate location you could sometimes pop them out with AOE spam.

On 9/17/2016 at 11:06 AM, Phylor.the.Jester said:

Also if your stealth skill was low enough, something with witch sight could see you. Very rare anyone had their stealth skill trained below 20 though(unless they were not good) so this really did not come into play often.

Discipline skills could only be trained to 20, so anyone who didn't get stealth from their class was vulnerable to witch sight. Granted, that's why not many people took discipline-based stealth. Just saying that having stealth trained to 20 wasn't generally because they were bad. It was usually because that's all they could train it to.

On 9/17/2016 at 11:22 AM, Vectious said:

In shadowbane the cost of skilling up to max on abilities got insanely expensive

Not for 99% of skills. It was only for certain specific ones. Gold cost for training was partially based on how far you were above the level you got the skill at. Some classes got one of their skills at an unusually high level, like Shadowmantle on my assassin. You got a huge penalty to gold cost if you tried to max a skill too soon after the level you acquired it. The problem is that those unusually high level skills were so close to the soft cap that you couldn't level high enough to train them at normal price. The game always considered you to be trying to max them too soon and always gave you the penalty. And the penalty skyrocketed the more points you spent beyond the penalty starting point. Even at level 70ish Shadowmantle was costing me hundreds of thousands per level. Whereas all my other skills only took like a few hundred or something, maybe a couple thousand at most.

Edited by Pixelmancer

5 hours ago, Pixelmancer said:

Discipline skills could only be trained to 20, so anyone who didn't get stealth from their class was vulnerable to witch sight. Granted, that's why not many people took discipline-based stealth. Just saying that having stealth trained to 20 wasn't generally because they were bad. It was usually because that's all they could train it to.

There were no Disciplines that granted stealth. The only race that inherently got hide was Shade.

Most stealthers you wanted to have at least 21 trains to get over that witchsight/BH detect hidden point even though both of those were somewhat rare. The most common chars that didn't have points were mages. Even later, mage stealth abilities(outside of mage assassin I believe) all got capped to 20 so that they were vulnerable to those other types of detection.

So generally, if they were a rogue and didn't build in stealth above the that soft cap of 20, I would argue that they were probably bad. There are some exceptions to this naturally but as a more general rule of thumb, that was the case.

3 hours ago, vandarr said:

Witch sight capped at 15, rendering it pretty much useless all around. I remember winning several bets on that one.

Pretty sure it capped at 10. Then you could wear an item, I think only rings could get the enchantment, to add another 10. Hence 21 trains in hide or sneak to be able to evade anyone but a scout.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:10 PM, vandarr said:

I'm half tempted to boot up my 2k comp and play some of the old videos. :)

It capped at 15, and the items stacking with it were patched out in late beta or early gold if memory serves, as it basically let a shade mage own all other mages and rogue bases with full time detect hidden.

It still existed on live but not for long.