Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarin

Procs

Every mmorpg games needs its RNG and Procs.

Fireballs doing 100% damage all the time?

No critical procs?

No very cool item, that can proc that poorly made socks that saves the day, maybe only 1 in 10, but when it did proc, u sweeped the floor WITH his head?

Alow critical procs, and controlled RNG meaning, you'r spells can fizzle, and he can resist a large portion of it, but you can increase you'r hit rating or magic shool or whatever to make ur fireball hit almost 100% with almost 100% damage and with a 50% critdamage increase, you get trainwrecked as a caster by all the rogues 70% of the time, but sometimes you shine, and can act like a demi-god when ur procs and spells hit all together.

Make it so, that you can choose to become a "proc/crit relying template, or go for the more mundane and safe and steady dps. 

I think procs could add an interesting depth to combat.

Maybe a lucky proc will allow a nearly defeated player to come back in a fight, possibly even edge out a win! Otherwise the outcome of a fight would end up being 100% predictable, which, in my humble opinion, would be quite boring.

Maybe a lucky proc will allow a nearly defeated player to come back in a fight, possibly even edge out a win!

that's exactly what I don't want to see... someone winning because of dumb luck

Edited by freeze

that's exactly what I don't want to see... someone winning because of dumb luck

You said it ur self, if its luck, its custard rare, and will seldom happens, what ALWAYES happens, is that some fck comes along and saves his day with a coupple of healings, and thats when u want ur own procs to nuke that custarda down to finish off ur primary target. OR all this will end up with whine threads about to high HP pool, to hard to kill other targets, to easy to survive etc.

But then lesser skilled players would get discouraged losing 100% of the time and might quit playing. Whereas if it comes down to the wire and they actually win a few fights, well, that might inspire them to put in more effort to get better.

This is probably just my 'bad at PvP' bias talking but *shrug* who can say how it'll end up?

Procs are fun, but I despise RNG enough to say that I don't want them. 

Procs need to be rewarded for demonstrating rare or excessive skill like landing spells consistently, accurately, in a rhythm, or intelligently (like using weaknesses, chains, or inturrupts).  They can be rewarded exponentially for combining those (like when all the stars align)

For instance. 

1 crit for landing 2 fireballs in a row.

2x crit for landing 2 fireballs in a row directly on the player instead of from splash damage

3x crit for landing 2 fireballs in a row in a rhythm (requires a cooldown regen bar with markers for a rhythm mechanic) while the player is in the air and taking advantage of resistances.

The 3x crit uses many aspects of skill at the same time (accuracy, consistency, rhythm, and intelligence).

Thus, we can see who the good players are if they constantly crit, as opposed to who got lucky.

Edited by saludeen

I think procs could add an interesting depth to combat.

Maybe a lucky proc will allow a nearly defeated player to come back in a fight, possibly even edge out a win! Otherwise the outcome of a fight would end up being 100% predictable, which, in my humble opinion, would be quite boring.

Its not 100% predictable because players make mistakes, and if a player has a perfect meta with no mistakes then they deserve to win every time anyway.  There are too many variables like stats, builds, terrain, and players to say that combat would be the same every time.

Whereas if it comes down to the wire and they actually win a few fights, well, that might inspire them to put in more effort to get better.

I would hope we all would "put in more effort to get better" , regardless of win or loss.