Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Short Story Entry - The Hunt

The Hunt

“The cold, the blood cold that came when winter decide to make us a visit along with only Valkyn´s knows how much Hunger infected and here I am, tracking a traitor along with my buddies some hours before the end of the world, yep, intense right?”

-Hey Halt, are you getting rusty? I could do that faster you know?

“And that’s Brook, one of the youngest and of course, the dumbiest guy that I know but I can’t say the same about his skills with the bow. Yep, he can shoot a drunk fly that are fifty meters away and that’s the reason he is here.”

-Blood no! I don’t want to get lost in the woods right in the end of the world! Make me a favor and go scout ahead.

“And that’s the tale about how i dint kill myself.”

-Don’t be harsh on him, he just want to impress you, give him a chance, okay?

“Silver hair Diana, that´s who´s talking right now. She and I go way back and I can trust her with my back.”

-I can give him a chance later. Now we need to find Bart, that blood traitor that stole our relic and he better wish that Yaga already collected his soul before I get to him and…

“Before I could say anything else I found the track of the bastard. Some kindling were broken close to a bush and that was all I needed to know the direction that he had gone. I raised my hand making a sign of attention to the other two rangers that without losing time started to go ahead into the forest but in separated ways, hiding themselves in the shadows so that we could corral our target.”

=================================== Transition =================================

“It took me one hour to find a clearing that showed signs of a recent battle, there was some footprints and cuts in the trees nearby. Some bodies were scattered around, most were remains of wild animals and some meters away leaning on a tree was Bart treating a wound in his stomach but something was wrong, he was alone. Were the enemy that caused that wound was? But before I could understand what was happening, Brook appeared in the clearing with his arrow in the bow, ready to shoot Bart at any moment but before he did that, he said:”

-End of the line traitor, give me the relic and I may kill you without any pain.

“After hearing his ultimatum from the mouth of Brook, the Guinecean got the relic from the bag that was resting right next to him and threw it at the snow, some maters away from Brook´s feat”

-I will die from this wound anyway, i don´t need that anymore…

“That appeared to have surprised Brook that started to walk to get the relic but in this moment I understood what was happening, the snow in front of the place that the relic was had a slightly different shape from the rest but I was too late relay this information. Brook’s feet touched the place and then he fell in a hidden hole and after that I could only hear a scream asking for help and that made me go out of my hideout only to see the boy and seven humanoid Hunger infected fighting to see who would eat Brook and at the same time Bart got the relic back and begun to run away, I could shoot him but he knew I couldn’t abandon Brook like that and then I shouted to Diana”

-Go after him!

“I could hear the noise from leaves moving and that was Diana going after the Guinecean and Valkyn knows how I wanted to be the one to kill that bastard but I had a job to do and to prepare myself for that I recited an old motto from the rangers”

-When there is nothing left but the graves and the ice and the Hunger… We go back. We go back for those too stubborn, too dumb or too weak to leave…

“And I let my arrow loose right in the heart of Brook, of my friend that I had to put out of his misery because some lowlife decided that his life was more important and to show that he was wrong I restarted the hunt”

=================================== Transition =================================

“It dint take too long for me to find the direction the two had gone because Diane left traces for me to follow. The problem is that there was less than two hours of sunlight and this world would last at least more seven hours so we needed to take care of this problem faster. While I was thinking about our time limit, a red flame appeared in the sky, that was a sign used by our group to transmit our location and normally we don’t use because this draws too much attention, so if Diana decide to use it, something went really wrong.”

“I arrived in a place close to a giant tree, for one second i lost my focus and stopped there, gazing the majestic tree, maybe she could even be one of the trees of life that drank from the blood of Gaea, that´s the only thing I can think of to explain this anomaly. It was like I was in a trance but then I got out of it when I found the tool used to shoot the flare and right next to her was Diana lying down on the snowy ground without consciousness and when I got close to her I heard a sharp sound and I felt a slightly warmth coming from my left leg, it was my blood…”

-Ha! You were wrong when you thought that I was the pray, because I am the hunter here!

“From the ground appeared the Guinecean with his pistol in hand. He was hiding underground, damn Bart and his rat little tricks. I need to forget the pain in my lag and shoot him before he can even think of escaping, let me just get one arrow.”

-Arrr…

“Before I could finish the job, Diana hand grabbed my injured lag and started to pull in her direction and when she raised her head, I could see the bluish color coming from inside of her mouth and a mark of a shot in her forehead, she was not Diana anymore, she was just one more of the slaves of the hunger…”

-Sorry to say, my bullets were bathed in the blood of some infected beasts and let me tell you one more thing before I let you and your girl have some private time, the bullet I shot you is the same! Good luck with that!

“Before I could even think about the bullet I had to get free from Diana´s strong grip and for that I used the arrow i was going to use to kill Bart and I stuck her in Diana arm and that’s did the magic, her grip got loose and I put some distance between us only to see that the sound from all the commotion started to call the other infected beast that were nearby. I did the only thing I could do, I used all my arrows to minimize the number of enemies, then I used my twin blades to kill anyone who dared to come near me but my stamina was ending and the loss of blood caused by the gunshot made me weaker, I couldn’t even run because of this damn leg and was only a matter of time before I succumbed. I started to take steps back until my back leaned on the giant tree trunk and then I noticed, the hunger stopped near the tree, more like they were struggling to reach me but some type of invisible barrier dint let them.”

-It appears Gaea took a like to me, now I can… Rest a little…

“Wen I woke up I could only see the darkness in front of me, the tree was emitting a small glow and that was sufficient to let me see that my skin was losing color, maybe in some minutes I will die and I will never be able to get Bart, he will live like nothing happened… Tears, I can only cry in my last moments.”

-Sorry guys… It’s the end of the hunt, I couldn’t get him…

“That´s when I noticed a light appearing in the forest and that was coming closer, it dint take long to understand that it was a deer, one with shining horns it seems, and now he is front of me, staring at me.”

-Do you desire to continue your hunt?

“A voice, I can hear a voice, but there is no one nearby besides the deer and he is not moving his mount, not that a deer can speak.”

-I ask again, do you desire to continue your hunt?

“It was speaking with me directly in my head, it was the deer… No, he is more than that, maybe I am crazy but I think this is D´orion, son of Arkon, if that is true, maybe I have a chance of revenge and with that in mind I shook my head as I accept.”

-Then know that your soul is mine, you will hunt in my name, the entire universe is my hunting ground and you shall be one of my champions.

“After saying that, the deer touched my chest with his nose and then everything changed, I don’t feel my limbs anymore, but now I have wings, I am a crow.”

=================================== One year later ==============================

-What this guys know about relics!? They don’t know how much trouble I had to take this with me! They want me to sell her for a cheap price, preposterous! Tomorrow I will find a decent buyer.

“Said my prey when he entered his room. I can hear his footsteps, he is going to the bed. I already know where the bed is, the last weeks I watched my prey routine, I know the position of every single mobile in his nest, its time. I get my bow, I get one arrow, a thick one and I put her in the string, I pull the string, I must use the right amount of strength… I shoot and my arrow pierce the roof and find my prey, right in the heart, he is dead.”

-I think that is mine…

“I am inside his room now, I entered from the hole I opened in the ceiling and I am claiming my prize, a relic that I wish I never found in the past, but now she is mine again. I am no longer a human, now I am a Elken, I am a slave to the gods and I don’t regret nothing, because now I can hunt again.”

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

A lot of your writing (Not to mention your forum signature) seem to reference the Ranger's Apprentice series. Did you read the series, by any chance?

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

A lot of your writing (Not to mention your forum signature) seem to reference the Ranger's Apprentice series. Did you read the series, by any chance?

Yes! I love the series! The book made me begin to pratice archery. Halt became one of my favorite book heros and is my nickname for every ranged bowmen i use in any game now. 

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

Yes! I love the series! The book made me begin to pratice archery. Halt became one of my favorite book heros and is my nickname for every ranged bowmen i use in any game now. 

I'll have to look for the floating "Halt" over the head of every person who's arrow impales me!

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?