Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MiracleMax

MMORPG Update: Harvesting Reveal

Why nodes have ranks o.O, i never heard of "Legendary copper" in any mmorpg ever... if i missed one please name it.

Besides harvesting mechanic gonna be fun to try it out...

Cheers :D

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

This is great news, and an excellent article.   Would that all your info dumps looked like this!

Really glad to see the harvesting system is this well thought out.  The skill investment is going to be pretty serious, and consequently dedicated harvesters will be a thing.  Who'd a thunk?

Good work ACE.

Basically people will have harvesting accounts, crafting accounts, and combat accounts. 

I made a suggestion to allow training in each of these areas (harvesting, crafting and combat) if you're a VIP so that people wouldn't need to run multiple accounts and/or multi-box but ACE wants people to not be able to do "everything". It's a design decision they made and I'm okay with it.

With that being said, any hardcore player or guild is going to run multiple accounts and multi box and I don't think ACE will try to stop it. As long as people aren't "botting" on their harvesting/crafting accounts (using 3rd party software or macros to play the game for them) then I don't see any issue with it personally. It's been that way in many, many games before this one. I don't think it will detract from dedicated harvesters/crafters either because someone who has an alt account for a crafter/harvester isn't going to be as good at it as someone who is dedicated to it. 

Edited by blazzen

I like the health idea.  It's always been more fun to find a rare thing and have to call out to people and have them rally, than to find a rare thing and immediately gather it yourself.  Overall, I'm excited.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Interesting that you mention harvesting being built off of the combat system. Wildstar did this for some mining. You could attack mineral nodes and farming plants for resources, though at a vastly reduced rate than mining them. It worked fine and was actually kinda fun, mostly due to the punchy audio feedback.

Basically people will have harvesting accounts, crafting accounts, and combat accounts. 

I made a suggestion to allow training in each of these areas (harvesting, crafting and combat) if you're a VIP so that people wouldn't need to run multiple accounts and/or multi-box but ACE wants people to not be able to do "everything". It's a design decision they made and I'm okay with it.

With that being said, any hardcore player or guild is going to run multiple accounts and multi box and I don't think ACE will try to stop it. As long as people aren't "botting" on their harvesting/crafting accounts (using 3rd party software or macros to play the game for them) then I don't see any issue with it personally. It's been that way in many, many games before this one. I don't think it will detract from dedicated harvesters/crafters either because someone who has an alt account for a crafter/harvester isn't going to be as good at it as someone who is dedicated to it. 

I do wonder about the survivability of pure harvesters.  Are they substantially more at risk if they encounter someone who has trained combat?  I hope so.  This gives incentive to (1) go out as a balanced team, (2) train both trees, (3) PK harvesters.  The multibox thing will of course happen, so I'm with you.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I do wonder about the survivability of pure harvesters.  Are they substantially more at risk if they encounter someone who has trained combat?  I hope so.  This gives incentive to (1) go out as a balanced team, (2) train both trees, (3) PK harvesters.  The multibox thing will of course happen, so I'm with you.

I predict a bunch of multi boxers running a harvesting character and a combat character. Harvesting character is protected by combat character. 

Again, as long as botting doesn't become rampant this isn't a bad thing. It still means you'll be able to go out and kill harvesters. It just means you'll get a better fight instead of pure slaughter. 

Alright, after 30 minutes of analysis I finally comprehended the article.

The "Key Harvesting Stats" section reminds me of the "Prospecting" stat in Wakfu.  Prospecting basically gave you a higher chance of dropping more items at the end of a monster fight.  I don't recall seeing this type of mechanic in any other game I've played though.

After reading the article I thought you could harvest Gold from a Copper node, but apparently that is just "Gold Dust".  This makes me wonder if there is going to be any actual Gold nodes in this game at all (Maybe "Gold Dust" is the "Gold" in the Metal table).

The oversimplified version I got was:

• Node Combat (Nodes have HP).
  • You can group on Nodes (Ex. 4 players vs 1 Node).
  • Sweet harvesting customization options.
  • We use ghost pickaxes.

I'm especially content about the harvesting stats.  And those are some very aesthetic looking nodes, so orange, so shiny.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Why nodes have ranks o.O, i never heard of "Legendary copper" in any mmorpg ever... if i missed one please name it.

Well you could argue with purity ranks rather than normal "basic" to "legendary" ranks. The higher purity, the better the attribute gain on the armor while mixing alloys would degrade a fine material when mixed with an impure one. Would be nice but maybe too complex. Don't know. Maybe that's just because I also work in a field with relies on material research so hm..... I shouldn't mix work and hobbies xD well... I'll read it later in complete, just wanted to drop this. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

The "Key Harvesting Stats" section reminds me of the "Prospecting" stat in Wakfu.  Prospecting basically gave you a higher chance of dropping more items at the end of a monster fight.  I don't recall seeing this type of mechanic in any other game I've played though.

Or Magic Find in Diablo.

rSHxVEY.gif

Don't think the names matter so much as the fact resources have varying quality levels. That concept isn't new at all and one that IMO isn't used enough because it adds lots of depth to the harvesting/crafting systems. SWG to this day is still one of my all time favorite MMO experiences due to its depth and scale of the crafting system. Glad to see ACE using some of those same elements that made SWG crafting so great.

Edited by pang

I predict a bunch of multi boxers running a harvesting character and a combat character. Harvesting character is protected by combat character. 

Again, as long as botting doesn't become rampant this isn't a bad thing. It still means you'll be able to go out and kill harvesters. It just means you'll get a better fight instead of pure slaughter. 

I'm reading this to suggest I need 3 or 4 accounts.

• Combat
  • Crafter
  • Harvester
  • Exploration

Or is it just the first 3?

I'm reading this to suggest I need 3 or 4 accounts.

I see a whole lot more types of activities (or professions) in Crowfall than just those 3 or 4. Only a few will have multiple accounts imo. Most people will have to specialize if they want to be of importance.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I see a whole lot more types of activities (or professions) in Crowfall than just those 3 or 4. Only a few will have multiple accounts imo. Most people will have to specialize if they want to be of importance.

This.

I mean I can see if one is a solo type player and they want to be self sufficient but if in a guild, a well run organized guild you should have members with lots of different specialties and gameplay interests.