Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring The Groove Back!

sarin

Yes to cantinas!  I got a lot of great information just eavesdropping in the cantinas.  Remember running into Mos Eisley cantina and hollering for folks to go hit HK?  Or tipping your ent after getting buffed? 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

It's almost embarrassing to keep talking about how SWG did things better before almost any other game (and in some cases, not done since). Integrating a social playstyle with the game was a great idea. There were some eventual problem, like the bot's, but having three advanced classes specifically designed for socializing (Musician, Dancer, Image Designer) along with an amazing number of unique songs and motion capture dances... it was groundbreaking, and to the best of my knowledge, never been done since in an MMO. TheSims would probably be the closest thing, lol.

I only dabbled in entertainment on a second toon, but it was so much fun. Anyone who has no idea what we mean look up "Cantina Crawl" on YouTube. It will give you a generic idea of what it was like. The 'crawl' was a regular event on a server where entertainers would all lay down and crawl from one place to a player Cantina, where they would throw a party.

Entertainers even had a role in adventuring, being able to use Scout or Ranger camps as a base to reverse "wounds" combat types accumulated in their Action and Health (and mana?) pool. The idea was that combat was stressful, and you eventually needed to go chill out and be entertained by a player to let off some steam and heal your 'wounds'.

I doubt seriously Crowfall will do anything like this, but it would have been cool!

eEvERiW.jpg

Social hubs were as important to Star Wars Galaxies as questing hubs are to modern "theme park" MMOs. Perhaps moreso, given the size of the planets.

Crowfall would do well to give players activities to do in-game that don't require too much keyboard interaction and encourage socialization.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

Guys, guys! Just imagine: you return to town after a lengthy battle with the Hungering (they might be there?). You throw reins of your noble steed to stableboy (repairs for mount) and enter tavern. Greeting your friends you take a seat near the fire, stretching your palms toward it (health bar restoration). A wench brings your bear and meat (stamina restoration), and while enjoying your meal you listen to a beautiful bard's (player character) song (mind restoration) you enjoy company and rest (voice chat).

*dreams* Aaaaah... That would be something.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

She's bringing me bear and meat?

:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, man. It was hilarious. Looks like I should go eat if my subconsciousness (and I just wrote 'sobconsciousness' :D) makes me do these mistakes.

What part of the bear am I eating if it's not meat?  :P

I. Don't. Know. And I think I do not want to know. :D

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Guys, guys! Just imagine: you return to town after a lengthy battle with the Hungering (they might be there?). You throw reins of your noble steed to stableboy (repairs for mount) and enter tavern. Greeting your friends you take a seat near the fire, stretching your palms toward it (health bar restoration). A wench brings your bear and meat (stamina restoration), and while enjoying your meal you listen to a beautiful bard's (player character) song (mind restoration) you enjoy company and rest (voice chat).

You just described our guild dream, lmao.  Yuuuss

I'm totally on the same page! Here's to hoping we get something similar to this. If there is entertainer or bard archetype that's my first choice.

Edited by achesoma

Cantinas and entertainers were one of my favorite things from galaxies. I actually fanboid pretty hard when meeting Blair and finding out that was his design. It's a shame sony holds the dancer build a buff patent!

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Thinking about the Build a Buff system for entertainers always makes me smile :) . I'll sum up the high points that I remember that led to it's design:

Players who spent the majority of their night in combat (Primarily Killers on the Bartle Test) absolutely hated having to go back to town and sit in a Cantina to clear their mind wounds.

Players who spent the majority of their night in the Cantina (Primarily Socializers on the Bartle Test) wanted to have people to socialize with them as they danced and showed off their moves. 

The relationship that arose out of this was ugly to say the best. The combatants didn't come in to socialize, they came in to clear their black bars after a night of combat or a rez (generally negative situations) and wanted to get out as fast as possible. At some point people started making dancing bots to ensure the Cantina had 24/7 coverage. Entertainers were now in competition with bots, and now not only did they have an aggressive audience they had bots dancing in the corner, the Entertainers were now super unhappy.

With both communities unhappy the decision was made to remove to mind wounds from the game and give Entertainers an update with new fx, props, dancing droids. Combatants were happy (they weren't chained to the Cantina anymore), Entertainers liked the idea of an update but it didn't show up for awhile and now the Cantina was empty except for each other and a bot or two someone forgot to shut off...

The way Galaxies stored it's player data allowed the designers to make some pretty unique systems. In this case it allowed us to make a system where we could let the players construct the stats of a Buff from scratch and apply it to another player. (Most games aren't setup to do this, they use referenced based data which means the designers would have to prebuild the buffs ahead of time)  We combined this tech with some of the ideas from image designer and let the Entertainers have at it.  The Entertainer would converse with their customer, ask them what they wanted, then do a performance which would apply the buff to the customer. Generally a tip was involved to the Entertainer, some chit chat about what the customer was going hunting and out.

So we use the same audience except now the Entertainers were now wanted because they helped the combatants ahead of the hunt cycle, and they looked pretty amazing at this point. (R2D2 dropping a smokescreen anyone?)

Great example of system design where less stick and more carrot is used for a great outcome.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

That's the kind of new innovative system that excites me about games that take a wholly different approach than has been done before.  Sometimes you end up with unexpected consequences that need fixing, but other times you unearth a jewel that just transforms the game experience.  Player choices and control that matter!