Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kensidian

Great Another Class Based System.

You would think with the SWG background of some of the devs. That a class based system would be leaving newer MMO's. Instead they seem to be keeping with locking us into Alts to try different styles of combat. 

I am really sick about this, I loved SWG, I love having my specific crafter to make my goods etc. I also loved changing skillsets when i wanted and being more then the same thing as everyone else or selecting a new character to level up to be competitive in PvP as we all know an alpha (or close to it) class.

Deeply saddened as this game sounds promising.

The only two possibilities. Classes or no classes. Personally, I am a fan of classes. There are other games that came out recently that use classes (Wildstar) and others that don't (Archeage, I know it has been out in Asia for a while though). I don't think it's fair to say that classless is more modern. It's just a different style. I think a lot of people are a fan of class systems. For me at least, one of the big plusses for classes is that it's fun to level up more characters. I don't think games are as much fun when you can do every possible thing imaginable on a single character.

This.  Classes add a lot more variety IMO - in Darkfall you didn't have classes you just had someone who's fireball wasn't as powerful as yours but he was better with a sword.  You were still basically playing the same thing, however.

Because Darkfall didn't have a skill cap, so everyone was able to max every skill ans use everything at the same time. The viable build was the battlemage in infernal with a macro to cast tons of spells and rays. Was awfull.

In Crowfall you have classes, so is a sorta on skill cap and i guess is a good compromise, indeed i prefer a skill system like MO or UO.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

See, this is the same mistake many people are making. Having skill based instead of class-based does not make you a "jack of all trades". You still have a limit to how many you can select. You can CHOOSE to be a jack of all trades, but, as the rest of the saying goes, a master of none. But if you CHOOSE to specialize in something you can specialize in whatever you want to be.

It's not about I-win or doing everything. Open your minds people. It's very narrow in here.

That's your opinion. "A master of none", to me, is exactly the whole definition of "jack of all trades." Also, when I talk skill based, I actually mean skill is highly required, ie. not gear based. I never said anything about an 'i-win', at all. However, if there was an overpowered skill, you'd bet everyone and their mother would be using it, or whatever build is best.

And please save the passive aggressiveness. These are opinions, just because they differ from yours it has nothing to do with narrow-mindedness. There is a perfect example of a classless system in a triple A MMORPG already out and it's called Guild Wars 2... and it sucks.

Edited by wormed

Wait, what? Guild Wars 2? Did they remove classes from that game? I played an Engineer and a Thief back at launch, so I know the game did have classes at one point.

Edited by supernautilus

Wait, what? Guild Wars 2? Did they remove classes from that game? I played an Engineer and a Thief back at launch, so I know the game did have classes at one point.

That could do everything.

As far as I knew, an Engineer couldn't be a Thief, and vice versa. So GW2 is not a good example of a classless game because it most defintely had classes.

A good example of a classless game is something like The Secret World or Defiance. SWG has some base class titles that you could choose from, but you mostly built your character the way you wanted, so that would be a good example too.

Yeah I currently play GW2 and classes can't really do everything. You can be self sufficient depending how you build and what skills you have on your bar. You also can't use every weapon, each class can only use a number of weapons which is where your main combat abilities come from.

But each class in GW2 feels pretty different from another.

One Word, Ultima Online. SKill cap + ability to build a character to your play style and change when you wanted. Swg has the same essence at its core. I played as a BH and would change my weapon skills on a whim to try something else. 

See, this is the same mistake many people are making. Having skill based instead of class-based does not make you a "jack of all trades". You still have a limit to how many you can select. You can CHOOSE to be a jack of all trades, but, as the rest of the saying goes, a master of none. But if you CHOOSE to specialize in something you can specialize in whatever you want to be.

It's not about I-win or doing everything. Open your minds people. It's very narrow in here.

This. Apparently, many folk here never played SWG.

Uh, did I miss something?

People were asking what I was trying to say, and thats what i was trying to say. Games where picking and choosing how to play then changing. There are times I like Main tanking, but then would like to do DPS etc. 

I fully believe in the trinity, I like roles. I just dont want to have 100 alts to obtain those roles when i wish to use them. SWG was smart when you couldnt have more then one character per server. I just wish more companys would do that.

One Word, Ultima Online.

It was a troll.  UO is 2 words.

But! to add to the conversation, I agree with the above post claiming ppl are confusing roles with classes.

Carry on...

You would think with the SWG background of some of the devs. That a class based system would be leaving newer MMO's. Instead they seem to be keeping with locking us into Alts to try different styles of combat. 

I am really sick about this, I loved SWG, I love having my specific crafter to make my goods etc. I also loved changing skillsets when i wanted and being more then the same thing as everyone else or selecting a new character to level up to be competitive in PvP as we all know an alpha (or close to it) class.

Deeply saddened as this game sounds promising.

This game having a class system is like saying Darksouls has a class system.

Class based systems are easier to understand for the average gamer, and easier to balance over all. Now with that said, the classes (or archetypes) in crowfall don't seem to be as static as those you would find in other games. It look's like they're borrowing elements from shadowbane, so you should be able to expand on classes quite a bit.