Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

Should Crowfall have resource gear equivilant mob drops

In Shadowbane there was resource rolled gear. http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Resource_System

You could have gear rolled to exactly what you wanted provided you had the materials.

Besides this, there was a few camps in the world that could drop Vorgrim gear. http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Elite_Armor Most of that gear was just as good. There were a few pieces that were rarely used.

Both fed into economy. Both helped get pvp going.

Gear that drops from mobs hurt all crafters. Maybe it worked in Shadowbane, but it has no place in an MMO that is trying to create a player oriented economy. They have promised us everything in the world decays, everything will be crafted. If there is gear you can obtain without crafting then it creates an alternative that hurts the concept. No can do.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Gear that drops from mobs hurt all crafters. Maybe it worked in Shadowbane, but it has no place in an MMO that is trying to create a player oriented economy. They have promised us everything in the world decays, everything will be crafted. If there is gear you can obtain without crafting then it creates an alternative that hurts the concept. No can do.

It won't hurt crafters... You can either have your gear get made for you or hope  gear drops. The gear you could get from mobs had a 10% drop rate every 30 minutes... How would that hurt crafters?

Edited by Handies

It won't hurt crafters... You can either have your gear get made for you or hope  gear drops. The gear you could get from mobs had a 10% drop rate every 30 minutes... How would that hurt crafters?

A better question is, why do you want to add PvE drops in this game when it is not in the design? Why should ACE go through the trouble of adding drops and balancing them out so they fit in the player made economy when they are already designing a crafting system for that same purpose?

We have resources, we will kill animals to get materials so we can craft things, we have POIs, caravans, fog of war that requires constant map refreshing. All of these game systems  will encourage emergent gameplay and support the player centered economy system. Why do you need to add a piece of already made gear to a PvE mob?

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Maybe extreme low tier items. Like the basic crap any-non crafter could make.

Mainly for the campaigns that you get dropped in naked.

id prefer just not being dropped naked but instead in the worst possible equipment that has no trade-value at all. a weapon is still a weapon that hurts and better than nothing.

Edited by Gromschlog

While the merits of mob dropped gear can be discussed, your statement is 100% inaccurate. UO was a player driven Economy, and it had mob dropped gear as well. As long as the mob dropped gear is limited and does not provide a significant advantage over player crafted gear then the risk to the player driven economy is mitigated. It may also provide an opportunity for CW with limited access to crafters an alternative source for equipment, also leading to another source of player conflict. Also, unlike typical MMOs, equipment decay and eventual destruction is a fact which will further mitigate the impact on the player driven economy.

At this point I'm still on the fence as to whether the benefits outweigh the risks, but it is a possibility. My gut tells me that considering the small dev team and the need to code/balance the drops to not affect the player driven economy, that mob based equipment drops are not going to happen. I think they have hinted that some of the rare/difficult mobs will drop material/resources that can be used in crafting to create better items. This type of setup is not a far jump from basic mob drops, but it does add an additional layer of player involvement. I think that mob drops are something which may be possible to add after launch when the layout of the player economy is better understood.

Dear everyone who wants basic weapons and armor so you won't be naked: we already have that, you can stop asking for it.

Edited by Kithslayer

While the merits of mob dropped gear can be discussed, your statement is 100% inaccurate. UO was a player driven Economy, and it had mob dropped gear as well. As long as the mob dropped gear is limited and does not provide a significant advantage over player crafted gear then the risk to the player driven economy is mitigated. It may also provide an opportunity for CW with limited access to crafters an alternative source for equipment, also leading to another source of player conflict. Also, unlike typical MMOs, equipment decay and eventual destruction is a fact which will further mitigate the impact on the player driven economy.

At this point I'm still on the fence as to whether the benefits outweigh the risks, but it is a possibility. My gut tells me that considering the small dev team and the need to code/balance the drops to not affect the player driven economy, that mob based equipment drops are not going to happen. I think they have hinted that some of the rare/difficult mobs will drop material/resources that can be used in crafting to create better items. This type of setup is not a far jump from basic mob drops, but it does add an additional layer of player involvement. I think that mob drops are something which may be possible to add after launch when the layout of the player economy is better understood.

I mostly agree with this, so thanks.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Seems legit as long as the monsters/players arent carrying weapons and armor when you fight them.  If there is a sword lying on the ground, you should be able to pick it up and use it.  Most players, in a PvP game, wouldnt leave weapons on the ground because it would hurt the crafting economy. 

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

A better question is, why do you want to add PvE drops in this game when it is not in the design? Why should ACE go through the trouble of adding drops and balancing them out so they fit in the player made economy when they are already designing a crafting system for that same purpose?

We have resources, we will kill animals to get materials so we can craft things, we have POIs, caravans, fog of war that requires constant map refreshing. All of these game systems  will encourage emergent gameplay and support the player centered economy system. Why do you need to add a piece of already made gear to a PvE mob?

I'm mostly in line with the above.

The only possible exception I could see (trying to find anything that might feel more a fit) would be something like a "Ruined (insert gear name here)".  Then, based on what it is, a Crafter would have to restore the item after (x) amount of effort, research, acquiring necessary mats, etc.  This would have to be a rare drop case, not Farmville Frequent.

That's the best I could come up with as a stretch.  Otherwise, I like the idea of Crafting having the center stage.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin