Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Duelist powers and UI - Official discussion thread

Had the Sicilian not died so abruptly, I imagine him telling us about Classic Blunder #3:  "Never fight a Guinecean near a wall."

Except the duelist will be stealthed, and gets to choose when and where to fight you. So.. just stay away from walls?

I hope they can't burrow up ramps and walls, and ideally rocky terrain as well. Not just because it's more immersive - it also makes tactical positioning and use of walls more interesting. Imagine a group of defenders on their walls defending against a siege, one gets knocked off to the ground and instantly ambushed by three guineceans. "Don't go down there, Nazdar. There's rodents about."

I'm curious what it actually takes to get "out of combat" to burrow again. It could end up being incredibly risky to pop up inside an enemy castle and not be able to burrow back out. Also I think this ability will change the meta for how people are constructing their castles. For example I would not have any ramps to get up on the walls and jump off un-gated to prevent duelists from popping in, getting a kill and just quickly going over a wall.

There were city setups in Shadowbane used to trap players.  Normally with city walls you would /stuck to move outside of the walls, but if the walls were flipped 180, then /stuck would not work; being that now on the outside of the city you could use /stuck to move into the city.  Builders would do this and then open up there ToL so anyone could transport there, but would close the ToL keeper (npc) so no one could transport out of the city.  Along with reverse walls, players were essentially stuck there unless they killed themselves.

City building will be an art and not what we have been currently seeing in HD or SP.  We will have to see the full list of archetypes before final plans can be made, but yes I agree that city design will be important.  Imagine an outer wall with no ramps, but an inner wall with ramps on the inside so defending players can jump to the outer walls; this will depend on how close we can build walls, but the duelist could be walking into a trap stuck between 2 walls and no where to run if the cooldown on the skill is long enough.

lUvvzPy.png

This is everything I was hoping to avoid in stealth all jammed into one obnoxious class. Vanish before your opponent's eyes, teleport away (even teleport through walls or terrain so you can't be followed), deal damage in stealth, and high burst coming out stealth. It's everything that's wrong with stealth in MMOs. Many people warned against this and they went ahead and added everything they were told was bad stealth design by experienced PvPers.

Shame-Bell-Lady-From-Game-Thrones.gif

Edited by caffynated

OJN1n7E.png

This is everything I was hoping to avoid in stealth all jammed into one obnoxious class. Vanish before your opponent's eyes, teleport away (even teleport through walls or terrain so you can't be followed), deal damage in stealth, and high burst coming out stealth. It's everything that's wrong with stealth in MMOs. Many people warned against this and they went ahead and added everything they were told was bad stealth design by experienced PvPers.

Until they add in anti-stealth mechanics and other players can remove a decent chunk of this power/versatility. Team game, bring lots of tools.

omg its perfect.  I was hopeing you would make the duelist with a short range attack like throwing knives or something, like a short ranged ranger with more defence capabilities.  I kind of feel like im reading your game creation like a book.  Or your just reading my mind. 

my only problem is now, that your pay system wont let me finish paying for my pre ordered stuff =(  i should in this test phase =(...

ezgzn8.jpg

So is voxel based tunneling dead? If not out-right promised, it seemed to be heavily implied during the Kickstarter or soon thereafter. When did this become a stealth mechanic? Seems like AC should at least acknowledge this change of direction... or inform me that I was just in a fever dream and that I'm making things up... which seems equally possible. 

The Shipwrecked Pirates

yarrr....

If you can't beat em, join em!

This class looks like fun and everything I've come to expect from Stealth. I hope they have survivability issues as a balancing measure. Beyond that, anti-stealth is a thing, get used to needing it! Especially if you play in my campaign ;)

I really wonder how Confessors, Knights and possibly Rangers will actually be of any worth if I see this. Maybe not Ranger but well.... 

Nice design though :D What my question would be - are the explosive kegs actual objects? Cause it would be hilarious to put up an explosive barricade up with idk... 3 duelists or trapping an enemy within a wall gate with these kegs xD

Same...i'm really worried by the first archetypes when we see the new ones poping.

Druid nearly cut down the population of Confessors on tests and why play ranger when you can play this tiny stealth thing who have more utility?

Edited by Gorwald

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

Same...i'm really worried by the first archetypes when we see the new ones poping.

Druid nearly cut down the population of Confessors on tests and why play ranger when you can play this tiny stealth thing who have more utility?

Don't worry, this is natural in development, as devs make classes they get better and better at it and then make passes to bring the earliest classes up to par. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Looking good. I'm not too worried about the initial OP of stealth the duelist brings. I am sure that anti stealth abilities will be introduced to counter the duelist, but so far, the duelist sounds very fluffy... not soft and cuddly fluffy, but, you know... realistic fluffy.

They are small elusive creatures. The skills coincide with their natural ability to get out of trouble quickly. I also expect that a duelist will be easy to kill once you remove their ability to escape, which should be more than enough of a trade for how elusive they are.

The Duelist's flavor is spot on.

The double attack on the next attack proc sounds like it could potentially scale infinitely (First round - first attacks procs, so second Round he will make the second and third attack, but the second attacks procs so the third attack will be followed by the fourth attack, but the third procced, so you could make potnetially 8+ attacks in only two attack cycles?  Maybe I'm misinterpreting the description.

The decoy concept art, are those Teemo eyes (League of Legends) and is it smoking a dynamite cigar?

The archetype looks fun, too powerful, and I can't really judge the burrow yet.  Cool update.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Depends, they might also make scout comes with a ability to expose them like how shadowbane did. Maybe even anti stealth trap/skill, good stealth skill carry the pvp to a strategy level from a street fight. The hide and seek in SB is alot of fun and balanced while GW2 screwed the wvw so bad like an enlarged street fight. we shall see, but I doubt that they would ever screw this as they had a huge success in SB's stealth system.

Looking good. I'm not too worried about the initial OP of stealth the duelist brings. I am sure that anti stealth abilities will be introduced to counter the duelist, but so far, the duelist sounds very fluffy... not soft and cuddly fluffy, but, you know... realistic fluffy.

They are small elusive creatures. The skills coincide with their natural ability to get out of trouble quickly. I also expect that a duelist will be easy to kill once you remove their ability to escape, which should be more than enough of a trade for how elusive they are.

I would suggest that they introduce anti-stealth to the ranger with the release of the duelist, so we get a better idea of the balance here.  Nothing I hate more than stealthing to avoid fights and dying; I much prefer short duration, long cooldown, small range, but if we are getting this style we better get a ton of anti-stealth, or the game will likely end up as roguefall.  Can't build a PvP game where avoiding/deciding fights hinges on one power.

I'd even be down with a trainable anti-stealth ability, open to anyone on the exploration tree.  Regardless, IMO, the stealth-antistealth design is one of the most important to the survival of this game.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

McTan, that is why i'm convinced the next archetype to be worked on will be the Stalker. Its a non-human, which will be just after the major milestone release, meaning they have artists available for a major project. Its also the counter to stealth, which they need to implement anyways.

And their stance has been that stealth mechanic will be like shadowbane. Which includes track mechanic.

Which i haven't seen anything that indicates that its not. The assassin in shadowbane could by pass walls as well.

Other stealth classes will use it differently.

And i haven't seen 'many' people warning that shadowbane stealth is bad. Actually, the opposite is true. People have been begging for shadowbane stealth.

You are just seeing the first stealth archetype and generalizing the entire mechanic. THATS shameful.

CfWBSig.png