Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

New World - New Amazon Game Studios Sandbox mmorpg

Nothing like EverQuest Next it seems.

For now what we know or see so far, there is no significant innovation or something different from all the other Indie Sandbox-MMO games.

If they would take it serious what they said yesterday, they would have to make EverQuest Next.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-30-amazon-wants-to-disrupt-industry-locked-into-sequel-mentality

but we also consider it so valuable to see the games in customers' hands and hear what they'd like to see developed.

It goes without saying that Amazon has vast resources and could easily spend to create games on the scale of a GTA. Gilmore said that Amazon "will not hesitate to spend at that level for the right title," but it's more important to invent on a large scale.

"We aspire to make games that are that big but that are new and very, very risky. If you look at how that corresponds to an investment you could probably draw some conclusions around how you make these big bets but how you don't go all the way to something on the scale of a GTA right out of the box without customers giving you some feedback," he remarked.

Gilmore, who spent time at EA from 2003-2009, has watched the AAA space evolve enormously in the last decade. Publishers have become more risk averse and the investments now needed for the games-as-a-service model that is attached to almost every title now necessitates greater year-round spending to keep players engaged. That has its drawbacks, Gilmore stressed.

"As you look at the progress of great, big AAA games, whether it's a Battlefield or GTA or Call of Duty, as those games scale and become businesses in and of themselves, innovation becomes a bigger and bigger risk because your customers are demanding in a lot of ways more of the same and it becomes really, really hard to create something that's genuinely new, and that's part of our mandate to make things that don't exist in a familiar template," he said.

If these are really their intentions and what they not only want to but going to do, and they want this Sandbox-MMO type game, they would have to create EverQuest Next.

Star Cititzen seems more promising and innovative to me, and thats totally crowdfunded up until now.

Star Citizen is a whole lot more ambitious, that what they presented there seems to be the next best Sandbox-MMOG.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

well not saying it doesn't have any potential but so did many other games which didn't make it into a commercial version or alpha so yeah.... 

Unless we see any first footage of the world, characters or details about the system I'd say - let's see what they got. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

This was the strange part: "including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards"

Buy Twitch for $1Billion, now how do we make money with it?  ;) 

Yes, reason for me to not be interested in it at all. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

https://games.amazon.com/games

Carve your own destiny in New World, a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game set in a living, cursed land. Choose how you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against in an evolving world that transforms with the seasons, weather, and time of day. Band together to reclaim monster-haunted wilds and build thriving civilizations, or strike out on your own, surviving in the face of supernatural terrors and murderous player bandits. Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition.

The only interesting feature I was able to perceive was the "in an evolving world that transforms with the seasons, weather, and time of day" part.

I have posted multiple times on the Crowfall forums, that a dynamic weather system would be a real benefit for Crowfall.

The upcoming MMO game Dark and Light (Savage Horizon) by Snail Games also features among others a dynamic and impressive weather system. By the way, Dark and Light makes a much better and more interesting impression to me than New World. Also Dark and Light will release already this year and have Early Access on Steam starting very soon.

I cant understand why the responsible people at Amazon Game Studios are giving the hundredth Survial Sandbox MMO game a go, but not a game like EverQuest Next a try/chance. Nobody needs the hundredth Survial Sandbox MMO game, unless its really really innovative, feature-rich, very well polished and good. And it wont be it, I am sure of it.

Also by the time New World will come out, Star Cititzen will be close to release or already be released, and I cant imagine many people will be paying much attention to this kind of boring Survial Sandbox MMO game, if Star Citizen can deliver.

Nobody needs this type of game, but there is a huge demand and need for a game like EverQuest Next. And Amazon got all the resources for that.

So why not giving a game concept like EverQuest Next a real try, instead of the next best Survial Sandbox MMO game?!

Edited by Urahara

No one has done a sandbox survival game with true triple A polish...

What will or would it change, and who says they will put true triple A polish on it?

Chronicles of Elyria and Dark and Light are much more promising candidates for me regarding a sandbox survival game with true triple A polish.

Not to mention Escape from Tarkov, Conan Exiles or one of the hundred others.

But there isnt anything like EverQuest Next was supposed to be. Which is very upsetting, because this was really innovative and interesting and promising. It had lots and lots of potential.

Edited by Urahara

What will or would it change, and who says they will put true triple A polish on it?

Chronicles of Elyria and Dark and Light are much more promising candidates for me regarding a sandbox survival game with true triple A polish.

But there isnt anything like EverQuest Next was supposed to be. Which is very upsetting, because this was really innovative and interesting and promising. It had lots and lots of potential.

CoE does not have triple A polish, the experience of the people involved and the budget are tiny compared to amazon... 

It would change everything, if games like Rust had had optimized engines, good netcode and hitboxes/registration, good graphics etc... it would be a different ballgame. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

CoE does have every bit of AAA ambition, more than any other survival sandbox MMO game most likely.

Money isnt everything, you know?!

Passion and ambition, joy and really wanting to see this game becoming reality and to play it yourself, all of these are much more important or at least equal to budget and money.

Give a developer monkey a ton of money to create a great game, and all you get is garbage and he spent the money on having a really nice life. Thats how game development in general works in the industry nowadays, in case you didnt notice. But the fact that you supported Crowfall indicates you did take notice.

Edited by Urahara

CoE does have every bit of AAA ambition, more than any other survival sandbox MMO game most likely.

Money isnt everything, you know?!

Passion and ambition, joy and really wanting to see this game becoming reality and to play it yourself, all of these are much more important or at least equal to budget and money.

Give a developer monkey a ton of money to create a great game, and all you get is garbage and he spent the money on having a really nice life. Thats how game development in general works in the industry nowadays, in case you didnt notice. But the fact that you supported Crowfall indicates you did take notice.

The more money you have the better your game can potentially be.  With limited or no money there are only so many things you can do. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I'm always interested in sandbox MMOs.

This was the strange part: "including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards"

Buy Twitch for $1Billion, now how do we make money with it?  ;) 

The Secret World used integration with twitch and other social media for roleplay events and it made for one of the best RP MMOs to ever come out. It was a complete transmedia experience, the only MMO to ever do it. Quests in the game would lead to youtube videos that you had to investigate, events would start with mysterious twitch broadcasts, etc. But the only reason it worked for TSW was because their setting was our modern day society with paranormal stuff going on. Can't imagine how a game set in the 17th century could use twitch convincingly. 

So why not giving a game concept like EverQuest Next a real try, instead of the next best Survial Sandbox MMO game?!

I guess because the huge failure of EQ Next scares all the developers away from that kind of concept. Specially developers juggling with huge amounts of money and high stakes. 

Not to mention Escape from Tarkov, Conan Exiles or one of the hundred others.

I agree with VN on this, CoE is not looking to be an AAA title at all. High ambition and interesting ideas, sure. But there's more to an AAA title than that. Plus these news have _really_ turned me off to CoE and the honesty (or lack of) of the project leader:

http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/27/chronicles-of-elyria-seeks-3m-more-in-funding/

1) I guess because the huge failure of EQ Next scares all the developers away from that kind of concept.

2) Specially developers juggling with huge amounts of money and high stakes. 

3) I agree with VN on this, CoE is not looking to be an AAA title at all. High ambition and interesting ideas, sure. But there's more to an AAA title than that. Plus these news have _really_ turned me off to CoE and the honesty (or lack of) of the project leader:

http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/27/chronicles-of-elyria-seeks-3m-more-in-funding/

EQ Next wasnt a failure in the slightest bit. What do you expect to happen if Sony sells off the development studio of EQ Next to an investment company?

Of course the game will get canceled.

If they sold SOE to Storybricks or Sony wouldnt have sold SOE, we would be having the most important game becoming reality probably.

Its not the fault of the ambition of the responsible people at SOE or something like that, but they just got sold out by Sony, of course the company and their games fall apart. What do you expect?

Specially developers juggling with huge amounts of money and high stakes.

If you got a huge amount of money and dont invest it into an innovative new game concept,

but an old game concept thats already long on the market,

with making your adjustments here and there on the game,

and then putting most of the money not into the development of the game, but into marketing to hype the hell out of it,

and your company's name isnt Blizzard,

then this is going to be an almost for sure either money sink for you, or disappointing money grab for your customers,

because the game didnt meet the hyped expectations/requirements/qualities, just like almost every triple A game nowadays.

With this kind of attitude its no wonder that gaming is dead, if there isnt any innovation and risk taking to be seen anymore.

Thats actually called stagnation and comes right before demise.

Games like Star Citizen would be a everlasting dream then to come true one day. But due to the ambition of the game its even possible that this game is solely financed through crowdfunding alone. Because the people want this to be happening. Thats why Star Citizen is the most successful, biggest crowdfunding project of all times.

And I cant see the problem you have with Chronicles of Elyria.

Again, what did you expect? That they can make an MMO this size with a bit over one million dollar?

Check out Divergence Online, if you want to see people very ambitious trying to attempt that.

You do know that Crowfall did the exact same thing?

They continued their crowdfunding campaign, and because the money still wasnt enough by far from their kickstarter goal, even when they got more than double the amount they asked for, plus all the money that came in after the kickstarter, they went and turned to private investors, so called angel investors, to raise additional funds.

Look at the funding page.

Of the $7,395,854 funding total, $2,975,854 are from pledges, from people/customers supporting/backing the game. The diffrence is from private investors and Todd and Gordon.

So where is the problem exactly?

Edited by Urahara

And I cant see the problem you have with Chronicles of Elyria.

Again, what did you expect? That they can make an MMO this size with a bit over one million dollar?

Check out Divergence Online, if you want to see people very ambitious trying to attempt that.

You do know that Crowfall did the exact same thing?

They continued their crowdfunding campaign, and because the money still wasnt enough by far from their kickstarter goal, even when they got more than double the amount they asked for, plus all the money that came in after the kickstarter, they went and turned to private investors, so called angel investors, to raise additional funds.

Look at the funding page.

Of the $7,395,854 funding total, $2,975,854 are from pledges, from people/customers supporting/backing the game. The diffrence is from private investors and Todd and Gordon.

So where is the problem exactly?

Sure it is, and maybe when you boil down to it, the logistics are the same too. But the public announcements and the way they were handled were different. I wasn't here for CF kickstarter, but I was when the announcement of private investors was made. 

Crowfall and Camelot Unchained both have a more narrow and limited focus in what they hope to accomplish. It'll be a niche and trimmed experience. When it comes to tight budgets and independent development, that's not a bad idea at all. Quite the opposite. Also both come from well known MMO developers. 

CoE has way, way higher amibitons, and a lead dev who never worked with MMOs before. Up to that point I was still interested. Their web store was supposed to be ready right after kickstarter, but took them over 3 months to get it done. We're talking a web store, not even the game itself. They asked for 900k to make a game as described on KS, and now they come out and say they need 3 mil more to be able to make the game. Pls visit our store. Sorry, that's when I start to lose faith. 

Meanwhile Star Citizen has a high triple A budget, its selling virtual ships for a game that doesn't even exist yet like hotcakes, the signs of P2W are creeping all over the place and the whole thing sounds like an indie millionaire hot mess... 

EDIT: Sorry for the derailing the thread, I'll make this my last post on anything off topic

Edited by Rikutatis

Sure it is, and maybe when you boil down to it, the logistics are the same too. But the public announcements and the way they were handled were different. I wasn't here for CF kickstarter, but I was when the announcement of private investors was made. 

Crowfall and Camelot Unchained both have a more narrow and limited focus in what they hope to accomplish. It'll be a niche and trimmed experience. When it comes to tight budgets and independent development, that's not a bad idea at all. Quite the opposite. Also both come from well known MMO developers. 

CoE has way, way higher amibitons, and a lead dev who never worked with MMOs before. Up to that point I was still interested. Their web store was supposed to be ready right after kickstarter, but took them over 3 months to get it done. We're talking a web store, not even the game itself. They asked for 900k to make a game as described on KS, and now they come out and say they need 3 mil more to be able to make the game. Pls visit our store. Sorry, that's when I start to lose faith. 

Meanwhile Star Citizen has a high triple A budget, its selling virtual ships for a game that doesn't even exist yet like hotcakes, the signs of P2W are creeping all over the place and the whole thing sounds like an indie millionaire hot mess... 

EDIT: Sorry for the derailing the thread, I'll make this my last post on anything off topic

Again, its all the same like it is or was with Crowfall.

While ACE did put the webstore up during the kickstarter campaign, they had massive problems doing so as well.

And most often arent the developer companys to blame for it, its difficult with all the stuff you need to get arranged which arent located within your reach or space of action/influence. Payment methods and all the things necessary are outside of your companys reach and need to be worked on from other third party involved people.

And again its the same with Crowfall. ACE came out and stated they need more money as well, despite making much more than double their kickstarter goal.

If there wasnt Star Citizen, the gaming world would be really straight downward depressing.

Star Citizen is THE only thing noteworthy happening in the gaming industry worldwide.

Everbody else long gave up on ambitious passionate game development, they are just making their jobs to make more money, and thats all.

The whole gaming industry really became the worst nowadays, its all only about money, but not great games or players or community.

The only way possible to get a good game done these days seems to be crowdfunding.

There is a reason why nobody who cares about games and propriety wants to have publishers around anymore.

The whole gaming industry became a cheap entertaining circus who puts out the same crap games every year in an endless row of sequels.

So yeah, games like Star Citizen and Chronicles of Elyria are really what is needed, and the persons creating them and the persons supporting them, united together we can even self-finance triple A games, like we are proving with Star Citizen.

Edited by Urahara

I am personally very excited to see the product Amazon comes up with. Just because there are multiple survival sandbox mmos in development doesn't necessarily mean its a bad idea to develop one. None of them have really captured market share. Furthermore, let's not rush to judgement of a game when all we've seen of it is concept art and our our description of the game is from a 1 minute trailer, a paragraph of text and 5 bullet points on a website. 

CoE ... They asked for 900k to make a game as described on KS, and now they come out and say they need 3 mil more to be able to make the game. Pls visit our store. Sorry, that's when I start to lose faith. 

That is exactly my problem with pretty much every crowdfunded MMO in development today, including Crowfall. All these games constantly increase scope with stretch goals for new features, cosmetics or fancy trinkets to try to get more money from backers. All this does is waste time and money trying to build crazy stupid stuff instead of actually delivering a high quality core product which was advertised. Today, the entire mmo market is completely ass backwards from the rest of the software industry where delivering a minimum viable product as quickly as possible that meets the needs of your primary users is paramount. 

Star Citizen may be crazy ambitious but that doesn't mean it's going to be any good, its development thus far has been less than ideal. (Read this article for more insight into the troubled development of Star Citizen). 

I backed Crowfall based for three primary features (1) eternal heroes + dying worlds (2) eternal kingdoms and (3) player driven economy. That's what I paid for. Take a look at the original Kickstarter page, not one of those stretch goals mean anything to getting those three things delivered to me. VR support, combat-enabled pets, and cosmetic trinkets? Please.

Crowfall's minimum viable product should be to develop ONE campaign with good combat + eternal kingdoms + player driven economy. Make all that really good and I will be satisfied. I don't even need siege units and destructible environments right away. All of that stuff with more campaigns etc can be added into the game afterwards. 

So to get back to the point, does New World sound amazingly original? Not quite. And yes, there are a lot of players in the market. But ultimately we don't know enough about the game yet to rush to judgement. Finally, the inability of crowdfunded games to deliver a minimum viable product is why I will consistently be optimistic about any mmo development efforts from a triple-a studio with adequate resources until they give me a reason think otherwise.  

Edited by sangz

Was time Amazon revealed its current Projects.

They hired talented Developers for years now and had their Lumberyard Engine ready since they bought a lot of the old CryEngine Team.

I'm gonna look forward to this - those People there are experienced and know what they are doing. Also Amazon pushes a little more the risky design directions than the normal publishers. Maybe we will get to see something innovative from this. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Inasyah

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I am personally very excited to see the product Amazon comes up with. Just because there are multiple survival sandbox mmos in development doesn't necessarily mean its a bad idea to develop one. None of them have really captured market share. Furthermore, let's not rush to judgement of a game when all we've seen of it is concept art and our our description of the game is from a 1 minute trailer, a paragraph of text and 5 bullet points on a website. 

1)

That is exactly my problem with pretty much every crowdfunded MMO in development today, including Crowfall. All these games constantly increase scope with stretch goals for new features, cosmetics or fancy trinkets to try to get more money from backers. All this does is waste time and money trying to build crazy stupid stuff instead of actually delivering a high quality core product which was advertised. Today, the entire mmo market is completely ass backwards from the rest of the software industry where delivering a minimum viable product as quickly as possible that meets the needs of your primary users is paramount. 

2)

Star Citizen may be crazy ambitious but that doesn't mean it's going to be any good, its development thus far has been less than ideal. (Read this article for more insight into the troubled development of Star Citizen). 

3)

I backed Crowfall based for three primary features (1) eternal heroes + dying worlds (2) eternal kingdoms and (3) player driven economy. That's what I paid for. Take a look at the original Kickstarter page, not one of those stretch goals mean anything to getting those three things delivered to me. VR support, combat-enabled pets, and cosmetic trinkets? Please.

Crowfall's minimum viable product should be to develop ONE campaign with good combat + eternal kingdoms + player driven economy. Make all that really good and I will be satisfied. I don't even need siege units and destructible environments right away. All of that stuff with more campaigns etc can be added into the game afterwards. 

So to get back to the point, does New World sound amazingly original? Not quite. And yes, there are a lot of players in the market. But ultimately we don't know enough about the game yet to rush to judgement. Finally, the inability of crowdfunded games to deliver a minimum viable product is why I will consistently be optimistic about any mmo development efforts from a triple-a studio with adequate resources until they give me a reason think otherwise.  

4)Was time Amazon revealed its current Projects.

They hired talented Developers for years now and had their Lumberyard Engine ready since they bought a lot of the old CryEngine Team.

I'm gonna look forward to this - those People there are experienced and know what they are doing. Also Amazon pushes a little more the risky design directions than the normal publishers. Maybe we will get to see something innovative from this. Fingers crossed.

1)

They raise more money in order to deliver a higher quality product.

In case of Crowfall for example they stated that they are doing private investment for being able to raise more money towards a higher quality of the game. ACE said that the game would benefit very much from a higher budget early in the development process.

So in order to make a better game thats more narrow to their vision of the game, for being able to get there, they are rasing more money of course.

And its the most normal thing in the world that a crowdfunding campaign keeps going until the product is released. Thats the case with every crowdfunded game or game in early access.

If they keep adding stretch goals of course this can be a negative thing, if they are keeping to add these in order to raise more money or to appel to a broader audience, instead of getting closer to their vision of the game or/and improving the quality of the game.

I guess Crowfall will be a much better game, with ACE having a budget of 7,4 instead of 3 million.

2)

"Star Citizen may be crazy ambitious but that doesn't mean it's going to be any good," - This part is right. But you can always look at the state or progress of the game at any point in time. Star Citizen is the most ambitious game of all time. Its gonna be the best or most amazing tech demo ever made, but that doesnt mean its going to be a good game. They have built the technology/engine/framework the game needs until now, so the game itself in terms of content/features/elements/mechanics and all that stuff that makes a game a game, will be coming/being made from now on. And I am confident or optimistic that it will turn out to be something really interesting at the very least.

"its development thus far has been less than ideal." - This part is also right of course, but that appeals to almost every game ever being made I guess. There isnt almost any game (of this or a big scale in general), if there is one at all, which went through an ideal development.

I guess in general the development of Star Citizen has been really good, impressing and promising so far. They make good progress in the development. I am certain or hoping that there will be a playable and enjoyable game at the end of 2018.

3)

I backed Crowfall because the game concept was well made and thought through. The game design was very promising and had real potential, and I had confidence and trust into the developers/company.

Also ACE is probably the only game developer/puslisher left, besides ArenaNet/NCsoft, who could make EverQuest Next becoming reality.

4)

Together with the stuff Star Cititzen hired from the CryEngine team, I guess there arent many people left of the former CryEngine team.

From what I or you can tell at this point of the game New World from Amazon game studios, the game concept/design really doesnt look too promising.

It seems like, or gives the impression to me at least, to be the attempt of the next best survival sandbox MMO game.

Just like so/the many others:

Dark and Light (Savage Horizon) - by Snail Games -- Beta - Late 2016 and Release in 2016

Chronicles of Elyria -- EA - Q1 2017

Conan Exiles -- EA - Januar 2017

ARK: Survival Evolved

Escape from Tarkov -- Beta - Q1 2017

or one of the other hundred games like this in early access.

Dark and Light, as well as Chronicles of Elyria, are giving a much more promising impression to me than New World does, also Dark and Light will come out in 2016 and CoE towards the end of 2017.

Amazon game studios got all the resources and support needed to go for a real original, ambitious and unique game concept for an MMO, like EverQuest Next; instead of making just the next best survival sandbox game.

Edited by Urahara