Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Crafting Stations - Official discussion thread

We're actually simply expressing deep-seated concerns about the approach towards harvesting/crafting development, which HAS happened yet. I can't believe people are still posting useless posts on a discussion forum purely to express their disbelief that someone could have something to contribute that they, themselves would not have said.

That's basically what you're doing, complaining about some one complaining.

MOkvLlm.png

Here's the thing, Allastair... You still haven't provided any actual reason as to why it's pointless to make harvesting interesting. The simple fact remains that the only reasoning provided by anyone (including ACE) so far has been "because a certain group within the player base is cool with it." Well, a certain group would be cool with combat exactly mimicking World of Warcraft. Does that mean we should go back to auto-attacking, targeted combat and static PvE worlds? Of course not.

I'm not Allastair but I have played an MMO before that had an amazing craft system (best I've ever seen) and harvesting was something of a complex activity in itself, a mini-game if you wanna call it that, with its own gameplay, etc. And I hated it. I stopped doing crafting (even though I loved the actual crafting system) because I couldn't handle having to do those harvesting activities. The reason I focus on playing PVP games is because I want to primarily pvp, I don't want to do PVE or PVnodes. I still enjoy the politics and economy, but that's on a meta game level, not on the daily gameplay. I backed Crowfall because it's meant to be a pvp game, without any meaningful pve in it. In other MMOs I need to farm PVE raids to get the gear needed to pvp with. I don't like that. 

I think harvesting should be as straightforward and painless as possible, and then make crafting deep and interesting. So that mixing the right materials has artistry involved, but without the mindless grind that a harvesting "mini-game" would invariably become, no matter how interesting it may look at first sight. 

And funny that they call it a Thrones War MMORPG, as they don't seem to understand what Game of Thrones is even about yet they want to ride on it's coat tails.  If you'd ever actually watched the show or read the books, combat and war is actually a very small part of it.  It's usually present, in the background but it most certainly not the main feature.

People are.  Socializing, backstabbing, politics, alliances.

And why would adding Harvest Moon online elements to Crowfall make it more of a Game of Thrones?! 

And funny that they call it a Thrones War MMORPG, as they don't seem to understand what Game of Thrones is even about yet they want to ride on it's coat tails.  If you'd ever actually watched the show or read the books, combat and war is actually a very small part of it.  It's usually present, in the background but it most certainly not the main feature.

People are.  Socializing, backstabbing, politics, alliances.

And while they claim there will be politics and such in the game, like everything else not combat I have yet to see any actual mechanics to suggest it'll be anything more then a guild and a chat window.  But that's besides the point, thou maybe time will tell on that front.  Doubt it.

I understand your concern, I think. And I agree with most of your concerns. They're worth having.

They have to tackle something first though, and they've decided to tackle combat first. I think that might give you the impression that combat is the "be all, end all".

During the Kickstarter days however they've expressed their understanding that Combat is a means to an end. That you can't have meaningful combat without a meaningful social system and a meaningful economy.

This game development is an iterative process and because of the kickstarter-model they have to try and make it work for us along the way. If it weren't for us, I doubt there would even be a chat system in the combat test.

Give it time. These guys have never dissapointed me when expressing their vision. But its going to take time to polish that rock into a diamond.

Edited by Whip