Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star Citizen

Deloria

Has anyone else caught the bug?

I now own 24 spaceships :| I don't know what happened - I just wanted to whump around in a spaceship with a spacecat and it took off from there :|

I am Deloria in SC too. I started an org there years ago but kinda burned out on the absence of a game.

Are any guilds here also doing SC? What did you think of citizencon 2016?

I liked the giant sand worm but was a bit bummed overall - I thought Gamescon was a lot better.

Edited by Pann
See PM

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

I am into Star Citizen  :D

Its the most ambitous and most important game project of all time.

If this is successful, the Dark Age of Gaming will finally end and there will be Golden Times for Gaming again.

After EverQuest Next is cancelled, Star Citizen is the last and only hope for something else than all the generic, boring AAA crap the gaming industry is producing nowadays.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Not me, although I still keep an eye on it from time to time. 

sangz linked this article about the troubles with SC's development in another thread. It's very long and at times more technical than I'd like, but still pretty enlightening:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

I have a referral code which gives people 5000uec cash in the final game: STAR-PHFG-5FZY if anyone is interested.

Alright, I caved. Bought a SC Starter package. I'm weak. Thanks for the referral code.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

sangz linked this article about the troubles with SC's development in another thread. It's very long and at times more technical than I'd like, but still pretty enlightening:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

I really liked this article.. It actually helped me get more confident about the state of the game. I really Like CR's attitude that they are doing things that have never been done before... as an argument against people saying "oh it can't be done."

I think the latest game demos are pointing to something incredible to be honest.

Alright, I caved. Bought a SC Starter package. I'm weak. Thanks for the referral code.  :)

So awesome! If you ever feel like getting up to piratey shennaigans please look me up :P Also I have like an idris and polarises and everything so you will never be short of ships if you want to borrow :P

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

That was a extremely interesting read.

It sort of goes back to what MarkeeDragon mentioned in this youtube video about the future of crowd funding. If a project like Star Citizen does not deliver it may have drastically harmful effects on the future of crowd funded games.

Unfortunately, you can have 100 huge successes but it just takes 1 huge failure to ruin everything.

CfWBSig.png

Star Citizen is already such a phenomen, it wont fail almost for sure, I am certain.

Its unlikely to fail, too much future determining work has already been gone into the game, well that could have been said maybe for EverQuest Next as well, but Star Citizen is solely crowdfunded up till now.

If they wouldnt be able to deliver, because of running out of money, or Chris Roberts messes up, then its very likely a big publisher will buy them and finance the finishing of the game. That would be a a very good deal for a publisher to get the most interesting and important game of all time, only having to finance the finish of the game, with the backers having had the risk and financing done the most part.

The situation with EverQuest Next was totally different.

They got sold by Sony to some investment company, and staff left Daybreak to the right and left. They werent anymore capable to make EverQuest Next. And they couldnt and wouldnt sell the franchise either. Because EverQuest 1 and 2 are necessary for the company to survive. So EverQuest Next got buried in the end.

But Star Citizen is totally different. CIG exists solely to make Star Citizen. Its all about Star Citizen or not Star Citizen. And without Star Citizen. no CIG.

So if the necessity arises, there will be publishers and others gladly taking over, I would guess. Like it happened with Freelancer, and so many others. And Star Citizen is really far more important than any other game, so a big company will show interest for sure.

Edited by Urahara

Star Citizen is already such a phenomen, it wont fail almost for sure, I am certain.

Its unlikely to fail, too much future determining work has already been gone into the game, well that could have been said maybe for EverQuest Next as well, but Star Citizen is solely crowdfunded up till now.

If they wouldnt be able to deliver, because of running out of money, or Chris Roberts messes up, then its very likely a big publisher will buy them and finance the finishing of the game. That would be a a very good deal for a publisher to get the most interesting and important game of all time, only having to finance the finish of the game, with the backers having had the risk and financing done the most part.

The situation with EverQuest Next was totally different.

They got sold by Sony to some investment company, and staff left Daybreak to the right and left. They werent anymore capable to make EverQuest Next. And they couldnt and wouldnt sell the franchise either. Because EverQuest 1 and 2 are necessary for the company to survive. So EverQuest Next got buried in the end.

But Star Citizen is totally different. CIG exists solely to make Star Citizen. Its all about Star Citizen or not Star Citizen. And without Star Citizen. no CIG.

So if the necessity arises, there will be publishers and others gladly taking over, I would guess. Like it happened with Freelancer, and so many others. And Star Citizen is really far more important than any other game, so a big company will show interest for sure.

Hopefully you are right, it looks to be a great game.

Although, i think its overly optimistic to think it has nearly no chance to fail. It may not fail to launch but it may fail to be what its supposed to be.

Very rarely has a game been taken over by another company and turned out to be all it lived up to. To much stuff gets cut out just to reach a launch date to get that holy grail: Return of Investment. 

CfWBSig.png

It really seems like Star Citizen will be the last big AAA MMO game for the next 10 years or so.

Seems like gaming is pretty much dead.

No innovation, no risk taking, no ambition in the gaming industry.

Star Citizen is 100% crowdfunded.

The gaming industry nowadays is a joke and dead.

They are only after money, but not after making good games.

It really seems like Star Citizen will be the last big AAA MMO game for the next 10 years or so.

Seems like gaming is pretty much dead.

No innovation, no risk taking, no ambition in the gaming industry.

Star Citizen is 100% crowdfunded.

The gaming industry nowadays is a joke and dead.

They are only after money, but not after making good games.

You sound like the people who have been saying that Mainframe is dead for the past 30 years.

It's not dead, it is just different. .The movie industry has undergone the same thing many years ago. It becomes mainstream, it becomes monetized, people who care nothing about the art itself but care a lot about the money it makes come in, quality drops. It doesn't mean good games are no longer made of that the industry is dead, just that you have to look harder to find the good stuff among the crap.

About the OP, I am followinig it from afar, not really involved. But I know that there are some folks in Legend Gaming that invested in it and are paying close attention. We have Phallanx Enterprises, a Client Guild in it (a more casual LG division) for now. But it might become a Chapter (hardcore structure within LG) in time, closer to launch.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

You sound like the people who have been saying that Mainframe is dead for the past 30 years.

It's not dead, it is just different. .The movie industry has undergone the same thing many years ago. It becomes mainstream, it becomes monetized, people who care nothing about the art itself but care a lot about the money it makes come in, quality drops. It doesn't mean good games are no longer made of that the industry is dead, just that you have to look harder to find the good stuff among the crap.

Well, but I am looking very closely at the market, really.

There are a few interesting ideas of/in smaller indie MMOs, but thats really it.

Its not like with movies where there is a few millions produced every year.

There are a few hundred thousands games per years being made.

But MMOs are really very scare today. They were much more produced a few years ago.

Costs for a normal MMO are lower today than they were a few years ago. Though the standard for AAA games in general always gets higher, and to make a AAA MMO today is very expensive and risky, with the expectations for return on investment being low.

But of course the finance people got no clue about gaming and the gaming market, nobody does really, but I expect a big AAA MMO like EverQuest Next or Star Citizen with real ambition, innovation and potential, having big chances for success, from a gaming standpoint as well as economical.

In general the whole gaming market is stagnating. The AAA games the past few years were almost every time a huge letdown, only shallow marketing hype.

People start to get enough of that and turn away from gaming since a long time.

The publishers got no connection to their customers, nor do they care about their customers. In fact the relationship between provider and customer in the gaming indsutry is one of the worst ones among all industries. Publisher and developer are mostly making only money out of their customers but not caring about their customers, nor about their games. Thats why the gaming industry is so disgusting and where it is today.

And now they even stopped taking any risks, because they could potentially lose money. Thats hilarious. Even just recently The Division made a huge profit, while being a big disappointment again. which makes even more people to go away from the gaming industry again. You would think there would be no way people are still falling for this same marketing hype trick over and over again for the past years, but they do, and they become even more I got the impression, with gaming becoming mainstream, but soon this will all backfire if the publisher keep their terrible bad business manners.

So yeah, no risk taking, no ambition, no innovation, no investment; just taking money out of the people but not giving something equal back in return, or even investing in something, like a new engine or new AI or any new technologies. Almost all technologies the gaming industry is using is 10 years old. Just look at the AI the gaming industry is using, and then look at other industries and their quality and level of AI, Its a joke. Thats like comparing a calculator from 20 years ago with a modern super computer. The gaming industry really is just a joke and dead nowadays.

I get the industry is in bad shape, but generalizing and hyperbolic statements such as "The gaming industry really is just a joke and dead nowadays" directly contradict the fact that you are here, in a gaming forum, discussing the chances of great success of another game (Star Citizen). Clearly the industry is not dead, and everything isn't a joke, or you would be doing other things with your time and money instead of supporting game development and caring about where the industry is.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

snip

Maybe if you play nothing but MMOs, I can more or less see why you would be so bitter about gaming. The MMO genre is in bad shape, I'll give you that, specially for people who enjoy sandbox and pvp. But you make some grand doomsday generalizations about gaming that are simply not true. I'm not even sure why I'm responding because it seems like you're one of those who is blind and deaf to facts and what other people have to say about a topic close to your heart like this. But there's still lots of good games being made in different genres, companies giving out free quality DLC and putting a lot of love, care and creativity into their products. If you think the industry is dead and rotten after something like the Witcher 3 just recently came out, I'm not even sure what to tell you. 

You complain about bad practices in the industry and treat Star Citizen as some kind of Messiah of gaming while they keep pumping out and selling P2W ships for their nonexistent game. I honestly don't get it. 

I struggle a bit to find good games so I understand where Ura is coming from.

I think part of it is that I've become much more fussy. I have spent far too much money on big vision games that ended up being disappointing.. and after a few burns we're allowed to be fussy..

I spend a lot of time *searching* for games.. maybe as much time as I do playing them.. I trawl through steam looking for old gems and missed opportunities - but even when I find something that others say is brilliant it nearly always ends up being disappointing.

Is that because I'm spoiled? Or because I've spent so much time playing things I don't like that I know what I do like?

In a perfect world I could build my own game.. it would be massive and immersive and have fantastic characters and a strong social fabric that I could happily drown in. I could build a strong relateable character and follow her through serious game-changing world-changing scenarios and experiences. My world would be a dreamscape of possibilities and nightmares - But ultimately a safe place where my fantasies could take flight.

But I can't build my own game. I must live vicariously through the dreams and designs of others. I put over 6000 dollars into Star Citizen because.. I want something to be built that is bigger than anything I could ever build - and the truth is that now I'm terrifed that SC won't be everything I dream of. I almost dread to go to the forums in case I read about bad news or that they have started to become realists.. I love SC for its dream and vision.

That's why I back CF too ..it is basically Dreamers dreaming. I can live vicariously in - and I love - the vision of CF.. Plus OMG those guys are so adorable. Todd and Thomas in the FAQs... I love their naïve kind of giggly boundless optimism as they describe stuff thats happening - almost as if they just discovered it in a treasure box. I kind of see the design FAQs as like 2 treasure hunters revealing what they just found in a dungeon. "And we have these treasures! And theres this map! And theres all this stuff! and we're gonna check it out now - we just need bigger torches so we're gonna get those!"

Uops I derailed..

Anyway.. long story short: SC is going to be great because right now it appears nearly limitless.. and that lets us dream of the possibilities. It's worth the gamble becuase if it turns out good it will be a place we can build dreams in... Like Crowfall. 

I want more games like that.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com